• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Withered Arm in the Late 70s early 980s

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Luxton

Established Member
I have just been reorganising my web site directories and have just relocated images that I took mainly in the late 70s early 80s which show the state of the "Withered Arm" - the former Southern (LSWR) Lines West Of Exeter:

Meldon

Sampford Courtenay

Mortehoe

Okehampton

North Devon & Cornwall Light Railway Watergate Halt

Torrington Station

Halwill Junction

Barnstaple Town

For the full collection click on this link:

http://www.jhluxton.com/The-35mm-Film-Archive/Railways/The-Withered-Arm

John

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Very sad photos, when you think of the millions of man hours spent building, maintaining an operating the line over the century or so of operations.

Mortehoe - mentioned in 'The Slow Train', of course.

John Luxton

Established Member
Looking back on these photos now I just wish I had taken more! The one good thing is that the Okehampton line has managed to hold on and perhaps if the weather obliges again the argument for reopening Meldon to Bere Alston gains in strength.

Interesting they should have had a rock fall on the coast line the other day which resulted in disruption on the same day that the footpath at Dawlish was restored.

Perhaps in a decade or two trains may cross Meldon viaduct again?

John

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Looking back on these photos now I just wish I had taken more! The one good thing is that the Okehampton line has managed to hold on and perhaps if the weather obliges again the argument for reopening Meldon to Bere Alston gains in strength.

Interesting they should have had a rock fall on the coast line the other day which resulted in disruption on the same day that the footpath at Dawlish was restored.

Perhaps in a decade or two trains may cross Meldon viaduct again?

John

I'm always so grateful that photographers like yourself recorded these locations in the period just after closure and before nature takes over completely, or worst still, total demolition and redevelopment :(

It is very encouraging when I think back to June that I was stood in vitually the same spot on Okehampton station looking at those products of Exmouth Junction Concrete Works now proudly carrying Southern green running in boards and targets again, just hope you are right about Meldon viaduct, would like to think it's nearer a decade rather than two, many thanks for sharing:)
Edit: Just to add, I think that Western Region notice on the approach to Meldon Viaduct may still be extant.

Last edited:

John Luxton

Established Member
Edit: Just to add, I think that Western Region notice on the approach to Meldon Viaduct may still be extant.

Really? Though I have visited the Darmoor Railway quite a few times I have not wandered across the viaduct or approached along the track bed from Sourton I will try and take a look when I am next down in Devon and Cornwall in October.

John

455driver

Veteran Member
There wasn't a rockfall, it was a false alarm and instead of following the normal procedure 'they' decided to panic and close the line instead!

Thank you for sharing the photos.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Now at the age of 70 and one who travelled those lines from the mid-1950's time period, it was good to see such images of the time period you captured.

Incidentally, I remember the station being called Mortenhoe and Woolacombe

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
"No more will I go to Blandford Forum, and Mortehoe,
On the slow train from Midsomer Norton and Mumby Road.
No churns, no porter, no cat on a seat
At Chorlton-cum-Hardy or Chester-le-Street.
We won't be meeting again
On the Slow Train."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.