• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The worst European train you have travelled on

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexNL

Established Member
Well... the worst European train I haven't been on has to be the notorious high speed V250...

I've been on a V250 a couple of times, not the best experience. There was heavy sideways swinging at high speeds (especially in the Groeneharttunnel), there were lots of vibrations, the aircon ducts made heavy thuds as they closed for a tunnel entrance, the seats were hard and uncomfortable, and there were lots of inconsistencies between units.

I can honestly say I don't miss them.

To stay in Germany, the relatively new LINT DMUs are terrible. A tight squeeze, Insuffizient ventilation. The cigne based Vareo are a good example of this. The two hour run to Trier is very uncomfotable

I've done that run a few years ago, I have to admit I quite liked those units. The seats aren't the ones you want for a 2,5 hr journey, though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Narbone to Villefranche - Vernet- les - Bains in some awful cast off ex Paris "oxy" set which must have the most vandalised set I have ever travelled on. Mind you this was 10 years ago.

stut

Established Member
I've been on a V250 a couple of times, not the best experience. There was heavy sideways swinging at high speeds (especially in the Groeneharttunnel), there were lots of vibrations, the aircon ducts made heavy thuds as they closed for a tunnel entrance, the seats were hard and uncomfortable, and there were lots of inconsistencies between units.

I can honestly say I don't miss them.

Haven't had the joy of the V250, but I have been on a few DSB IC4s.

They look good - very good. But then you sit down. And then the vibration staaaaaaarrrttttsss...

The entire train gives you the impression you could snap any component like a twig with your bare hands. The layout is bizarre, too, with lifts installed for the sole purpose of allowing a trolley to pass along the multi-level train. There were already panels missing.

Fur coat and no knickers.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
lifts installed for the sole purpose of allowing a trolley to pass along the multi-level train

A lot of DB rolling stock also has this. On the SBB IC2000 the trolley just stays upstairs, though I think there's a lift at one end to get it there. An autoannouncement is made to make sure those downstairs know it's there - I don't know how disabled people are catered for, though.

Another vote for Circumvesuviana I'm afraid. Just come back from holiday in Sorrento. Out of the 10 trains I used, only one was on time with the others being at least 10 minutes late. All were heavily vandalized on the outside as were most stations. All were horrendously hot due to the unbelievable lack of air con.

Gordon

Thessaloniki - Istanbul in summer 1979 as part of a Geneva - Istanbul journey.

Hot, smelly, tedious.

I went via Thessaloniki as Inter Rail wasn't valid on the direct 'Orient Express route' through Bulgaria. Although it was an experience, it was a false economy as the fare through Bulgaria wouldn't have been that much!

So I went Hellas Express Zagreb - Thessaloniki and changed into the Athens - Istanbul 'express' - which in reality was a single Polish-built compartment coach attached to various other trains as it went along. Departed Thessaloniki at about 8.30 am and didn't reach the Turkish border until after dark.

Upshot was the growl of the American built OSE diesels, and the fact that when the coach was left all alone at the Turkish border (where they took your passport away and kept it for over an hour at 2am...) the loco that eventually arrived to collect us was steam - a TCDD Henschel 4-8-0.

Bucina62

I used to travel on awful 451's (built 1964-1968) every day from Kralupy to Praha Masarykovo, although they have/are been/being replaced by 471 Cityelefant's (built 1997-2013) double deckers

Having said that the Btx763's (built 1958-1969) hauled by 714's (built 1994-1997) that go from Masarykovo to Kladno and Rakovnik really do take the biscuit

If I knew how to post my own photos I would show examples that I took in August on our last visit. BTW my wife is Czech and we have a place out there that we visit 2 or 3 times a year to go and see the out-law's. Next visit will be at Christmas.

Veteran Member
Having said that the Btx763's (built 1958-1969) hauled by 714's (built 1994-1997) that go from Masarykovo to Kladno and Rakovnik really do take the biscuit

Especially when the heating is on - is it paraffin fired?! (My trip was on the branch from Rybnik to Lipno)

Gordon

Just back from Switzerland where I suddenly remembered (because I was showing a mate the FART station in Locarno as he's never done the Centovallii.) a really rubbish design of unit - the 'panoramic' sets on the FART Centovalli . They are like a deformed toblerone which hasn't been manufactured correctly.

Monty

Established Member
My vote would be for the PKP EN57 EMUs, they're quite an old unit so their ride is rather rough however some them (though I noticed the ones used on the Gdansk SKM did not) have hard plastic seating. Very uncomfortable if not easy to clean after a messy Friday night! ;)

Last edited:

axlecounter

Just back from Switzerland where I suddenly remembered (because I was showing a mate the FART station in Locarno as he's never done the Centovallii.) a really rubbish design of unit - the 'panoramic' sets on the FART Centovalli . They are like a deformed toblerone which hasn't been manufactured correctly.

Haha. So true. And you even have to pay a surcharge to travel on it!

1032008183430_vision1.jpg

DSC00853.jpg

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I don't mind those too much (I prefer them to curved windowed panoramic units, as the latter tend to distort the view a bit) - but I do object to paying a supplement to use a train operating in a normal timetable slot.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Especially when the heating is on - is it paraffin fired?! (My trip was on the branch from Rybnik to Lipno)

Probably diesel.

Amusing (but slightly OT) thing, we have electric buses in MK with diesel heaters. Surprised an electric solution wasn't used, e.g. some kind of storage radiator system assisted by traction motor waste heat.

class387

Established Member

I like them if you can get a seat next to the driver or at the back but that's about it. Squealy, ugly, uncomfortable, aeroplane style toilets that you have to ask the train manager to use etc.

The line is stunning though.

MarcVD

On trains, the Talgo Pendular also had generators for power supply even when electric hauled. Always wondered why...
Same for the TEE trains that were used on Paris - Brussels and on the "grand confort" SNCF cars.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

jayiscupid

It wasn't awful but I was disappointed with the TGV Duplex I took from Paris to Barcelona last year. It's a ride I've been looking forward to for a long time and the upstairs deck in first class felt small and cramped and the seats didn't line up with the windows.

duesselmartin

Established Member
It wasn't awful but I was disappointed with the TGV Duplex I took from Paris to Barcelona last year. It's a ride I've been looking forward to for a long time and the upstairs deck in first class felt small and cramped and the seats didn't line up with the windows.

Is there any new train with proper window / seat alignment. It seems to be fashion to sell pillar views as window seats

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is there any new train with proper window / seat alignment. It seems to be fashion to sell pillar views as window seats

I don't like this in Standard but recognise why it might happen due to the cost of two different bodyshells. I seriously, seriously resent this in First Class where it shows a lack of the required attention to detail. It is one of the many reasons for my strong dislike of SNCF and TGV.

Established Member
I don't like this in Standard but recognise why it might happen due to the cost of two different bodyshells. I seriously, seriously resent this in First Class where it shows a lack of the required attention to detail. It is one of the many reasons for my strong dislike of SNCF and TGV.

Interestingly, I find that SNCF are one of the better operators for seat/window alignment, at least on regional stock. I was in first on a TGV Duplex from Paris to Barcelona on the bottom deck, and that did line up correctly.

Groningen

Established Member
I am more in the supplement for a train, that is not worth the money. I had to pay about 2.000 pesetas from the Spanish/French border to Madrid. Say about 30 years ago.

I'm surprised Belgium hasn't featured more heavily. For graffitid stock, stations, infrastructure and anything else that doesn't move -or does; slow poor ride, Formica internal fittings, and a significant threatening atmosphere the early evening Brussels to Antwerp regional service taken last year had to be a strong contender.

coupwotcoup

Can't be a lot worse than the Paris Metro. Have crossed from Nord to Lyon on many occasions in the past 30 years - mainly via RER - but never once enjoyed the trip.

Thank goodness it's only one stop.

Pre Eurostar, my route home from Spain meant a few hours back to the French border on a train that came from Algeciras and was going to Milan...shocking and not for the faint hearted.

I was surprised as to how basic the Talgo was on my first journey but back in the day, and on more than one occasion, the bar would become an impromptu party zone....

dutchflyer

Established Member
Is there a rule for how long ago you can post?
If for ever:, sorry to say, ex-BR, slam door, non-corridor stock somewhere in what later became Network South-east, probably in its last and final days of service, or maybe just after some football-hooligan-special-ripped seat covers, windows would not properly close anymore and it was not summer, floor looking like a garbagecan.
More recent: Albania. former DB-''silberlinge''stock/cars, windows smashed, about anything broken that could be broken at all, stones still being thrown at when sitting in and travelling at a most sedate pace.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
More recent: Albania. former DB-''silberlinge''stock/cars, windows smashed, about anything broken that could be broken at all, stones still being thrown at when sitting in and travelling at a most sedate pace.

Albanian railways are essentially useless, being kept going for political reasons alone. But they are fun for a tourist! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.