• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Theatre boxes on signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does anyone know what a 'T' in a theatre box indicates. No specific site here just something i've seen in the past.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
If its local to the station it could be "through" line, as opposed to a platform number.

We really need to know where you saw it in order to give a more detailed answer.

Established Member
T is for Tynemouth for Newcastle - although of course Tynemouth ceased to be served by BR over 30 years ago.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Tynemouth?

Thats what it stands for at Newcastle Central Station (Northbound), denoting the route towards Manors on the ECML.

The letter just denotes the route the train shall take, so its meaning would differ depending on the station

and I've just noticed others have replied already!

wilsontown

I've seen "T" displayed at Leeds, it seems to indicate a route via the through road between platforms 11 and 12. As others have said, it won't mean the same thing everywhere you see it.

Pacerpilot

As stated, it will depend upon location. It means "OVE line" down here, nr Port Talbot.

Michael.Y

Established Member
Tea and toast will be served at the next red while you are idling.

Welshman

Established Member
When the Cheetham Hill loop was still in use, the theatre-box at the starting signal on the old Manchester Victoria's former platform 13 for Yorkshire services used to display:-

CF

which signified "Cheetham Fast"

That always amused me as I escaped Lancashire back into the safety of Yorkshire!

Status
Not open for further replies.