• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thello overnight - is it subsidised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRX

Established Member
Was on this from Milan to Paris the other night. Seemed quite busy.

I'm curious as to whether this is a self-sustaining service - in other words, does it make money for its operators? I'd initially assumed it must, as it's a private company, but a bit of investigation reveals that Trenitalia has quite a large stake in it.

If, effectively, it's not subsidised by any state operator then it goes rather against the trend (or perceived trend) of night services being killed off by the new EU open access rules, or being abandoned by national operators due to lack of custom or need.

Makes me wonder if, in the longer term, we might see more night services run by private operators popping up amidst the general decline.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dutchflyer

Established Member
Similar to the Austrian OeBB running its night-jet network. It says it makes a tiny profit, the usual assumptions this is partly to ''cross-subsidisation'' are rife.
A completely private enterprise is the Berlin-Malmoe overnight, which runs only on selected days (nights) in the summer season.
And of course the Czech Railjet (which does have proper night accomodation too in it) and LEO (the usual daytime sets-seats only) and have more or less nearly swiped out the legacy CD+ZSR state run operators.
As a variation on the theme: f.e. in UKrayna (is or was?) private companies offered better styles accom. in sleepers atached to trains of the national UZ-higher price, promised more comfort, which mostly meant they still would have space when the UZ was fully sold out.
Thello has just announced it wants to compete with Thalys/SNCF, the state-owned and strike prone French, on major routes out of Paris

Veteran Member
And of course the Czech Railjet (which does have proper night accomodation too in it) and LEO (the usual daytime sets-seats only) and have more or less nearly swiped out the legacy CD+ZSR state run operators.

Think you mean Regiojet :)
I am not sure they have wiped out the national operators, though they may have hit their profits....

BRX

Established Member
Similar to the Austrian OeBB running its night-jet network. It says it makes a tiny profit, the usual assumptions this is partly to ''cross-subsidisation'' are rife.
Is that the official line from both of those operations?

Status
Not open for further replies.