• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Theoretical] New Electric Locos

Status
Not open for further replies.

59CosG95

Established Member
With DRS excepted, as they have 88s on order, and GBRf reactivating most of their 92s (though not without some catastrophes), what can we expect the UK's major freight companies to go for in terms of 25kV/dual-voltage/bimodal locos in the near future? Personally, I'd say either Bombardier's or Siemens' latest offerings (i.e. Vectron or TRAXX Last Mile), but there's bound to be some smaller ones I have no idea about. As sad as it is to say, the Skodas and the Cans are getting a bit long in the tooth, and as more lines get wired, the requirement for electric haulage may step up.
Thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
The only electric locomotive orders that I can forsee in the near future will have to be similar to the 88s in that they will have a diesel engine tucked away onboard for operating around yards and sidings. In the event of locos being withdrawn, I think they may well just go over to diesel seeing as there appears to be enough of them to go around.

In short, for passenger work, EMUs are the method of choice, and the consensus is that there is an EMU surplus, and with freight unless you wire the end points of freight flows, you won't need electrics!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The freight electric market is nonexistant - after all the only true electric freight locomotives BR built are the 92s. Everything else is a passenger optimised locomotive that ended up hauling freight - normally with little or no modification for the task.

A proper modern freight electric would be a Co-Co with Class 70 level tractive effort and about 10,000kW of traction power.
[Such a locomotive would be able to hold a 2200t train at 40 miles per hour climbing the Lickey - with a runup it would shoot up at near line speed..... if the Lickey was electrified obviously]

Last edited:

GM228

With DRS excepted, as they have 88s on order, and GBRf reactivating most of their 92s (though not without some catastrophes), what can we expect the UK's major freight companies to go for in terms of 25kV/dual-voltage/bimodal locos in the near future? Personally, I'd say either Bombardier's or Siemens' latest offerings (i.e. Vectron or TRAXX Last Mile), but there's bound to be some smaller ones I have no idea about. As sad as it is to say, the Skodas and the Cans are getting a bit long in the tooth, and as more lines get wired, the requirement for electric haulage may step up.
Thoughts?

If there were to be any I'd guess they would be 88 add-ons as by then the 88s would be a proven design just like the 66s took off, but unlikely to happen I'd imagine?

RobShipway

Established Member
This is probably very unlikely, but due to the fact that electrification is halted at the moment, the only type of locomotive I can see happening is a Hybrid locomotive where it can travel on say diesel power at over 100mph and do the same with AC power as well.

The locomotive should be of similar design to class 68/88 where it can be used for either passengers trains or freight.

59CosG95

Established Member
This is probably very unlikely, but due to the fact that electrification is halted at the moment, the only type of locomotive I can see happening is a Hybrid locomotive where it can travel on say diesel power at over 100mph and do the same with AC power as well.

The locomotive should be of similar design to class 68/88 where it can be used for either passengers trains or freight.

In that case, I think we'll get a lot more 88s over the next few years then, if such an order goes ahead!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
But there is no real passenger work left for locomotives.
We are going to be swimming in diesel and electric passenger locomotives once IEP arrives. (43s and 91s)

Status
Not open for further replies.