• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Theresa May calls General Election on 8th June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
I'd like to see a UKIP-Labour coalition as I like the UKIP hardline on immigration and them being the only party to succeed in their main aim in recent years. I also admire Labour for their stance on 'softer' issues such as the welfare state and education. It could never happen though sadly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
To be honest I get a bit annoyed with those wanting to overturn Brexit. I voted to remain but we had a referendum and voted to leave.

Politically the Lib Dems are nearest to my views although I don't agree with their views on immigration or particularly rate their current Leader. Voting Lib Dem will keep Labour in my constituency and there is no way I want the likes of Corbyn, Mcdonnell, and Abbot running this country so it will unfortunately be a Tory tactical vote.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
So at what point do the TV and radio have to go into an impartial lock down at all costs mode, whilst the newspapers can say what the hell they like. I personally don't think that's fair but no one seems to care.

When is the Evening Standard deadline? Is it 11am or is it 12pm? I wonder if this caused issues with their print deadlines this morning.

Mvann

That's the reason May is convinced this is a good idea. The only hope is that the mass division in this country since last year will make people do something radical.

I think that the referendum in some ways took away all the focus from normal politics, as if the EU is the only issue that anyone cares about.

I wonder if the election will be seen as a second referendum for many.

I think it will, but I can't see 48% of the electorate that voted remain voting for the only party that will have the overturning of brexit on their manifesto.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I wonder if Teresa May has any sympathy for Electoral Services departments of local governments?

It takes a lot of planning to run a local election and now just over a month after the local elections take place for some authorities, there will be a national one.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
To be honest I get a bit annoyed with those wanting to overturn Brexit. I voted to remain but we had a referendum and voted to leave.

However we had and still have no idea what the leave option will mean. Bit like committing to buy a used car on the word of a dodgy salesman without knowing the price or what condition it's in. Don't we deserve the right to look at it again when we know exactly what we're letting ourselves in for?

To me this is the dominant issue of a generation but the risk is the Tories will win due to the disarray of Labour and Lib Dems still being punished for their role in the coalition. They will take this as a ringing endorsement and go away and do whatever they want.

Last edited:

Established Member
However we had and still have no idea what the leave option will mean. Bit like committing to buy a used car on the word of a dodgy salesman without knowing the price or what condition it's in. Don't we deserve the right to look at it again when we know exactly what we're letting ourselves in for?

To me this is the dominant issue of a generation but the risk is the Tories will win due to the disarray of Labour and Lib Dems still being punished for their role in the coalition. They will take this as a ringing endorsement and go away and do whatever they want.

Not really if you voted leave then it was always likely to be more hard than soft and anybody who didn't realise that voted leave was frankly a bit of an idiot.

At the end of the day I think we will end up with some sort of trade agreement with the EU which is something in between Hard Brexit and Single market access, it doesn't make sense for either not to come up with something.

Howardh

Established Member

May has now got to tell us (and therefore the EU) what she wants. If it's still unclear, then where's the mandate to go ahead with something that we don't know what she's going ahead with? It could be a case of you now tell us what Brexit is really going to bring, or jack the whole lot in. If there's stuff in Brexit we aren't gonna like (eg Visas, the loss of the EHIC, higher air fares etc on my account) then it gives everyone a chance to vote for soft (or no) Brexit. If it's simply a blank piece of A4 (again) then what's the flaming point of it all.

Just a truly bizarre situation - unless there's something hidden in the agenda that we aren't aware of and it will hit us later - when we've just given May another 5 years.

CarlSilva

I don't get why any people would vote constervative again. How are you meant to be able to believe what they say ?

C9sCfGaXcAAUXUZ.jpg

Mvann

I wonder if Teresa May has any sympathy for Electoral Services departments of local governments?

It takes a lot of planning to run a local election and now just over a month after the local elections take place for some authorities, there will be a national one.

I noticed there is a by-election in Gorton on May 4th. Will this still go ahead?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
So where does this leave the Buses Bill?
How likely is it to make it through the wash-up?

Jordeh

I don't get why any people would vote constervative again. How are you meant to be able to believe what they say ?
To be fair they couldn't really afford to contemplate a general election in public. It hurt Gordon Brown very badly when he toyed around with the idea and ultimately backed down, in fact his never polling never reached such heights again. It would have been foolish for Theresa May to do anything other than vehemently deny holding a snap election, until they actually do.

It is a credit to her and the people around her that it wasn't leaked at all.

Established Member
Interesting timing, although I can't say I'm looking forward to the probable outcome. We'll soon find out whether it does go ahead with tomorrow's vote in Parliament, that is going to be very interesting indeed.

pemma

Veteran Member
I noticed there is a by-election in Gorton on May 4th. Will this still go ahead?

Been reported as the by-election has been called it can't now be postponed or cancelled so someone will be elected as MP for Gorton and then face re-election a month later!

Darandio

Established Member

And you can believe what any of the alternatives say?

It's been clear for a while now that there is currently no viable alternative to a Conservative government. I'm more surprised that it has taken this long.

pemma

Veteran Member

The Lib Dems have said they won't block Brexit if a deal to keep us in the single market is agreed but if one isn't agreed they want a second referendum so they the people can vote on whether they want a hard Brexit.

Established Member
And you can believe what any of the alternatives say?

I don't believe a word of what the current Government says either, the Prime Minister has said one thing and done the other on more than one occasion. I also strongly disagree with anyone becoming Prime Minister "by default", and before anyone asks, I also strongly disagreed with Gordon Brown becoming Prime Minister without a vote from his party.

No wonder so many people are so disillusioned with politics and don't bother registering to vote.

tspaul26

Established Member
This news doesnt surprise me and its a cute political move to bury Labour.

To get the Fixed Term Parliamentary Act repealed 66% of MP`s have to vote to repeal it in a vote tomorrow

Now what does Corbyn and the Labour Party do ? do they

1) Impose a 3 line whip to vote against it or

2) Impose a 3 line whip to vote for it or

3) Make it a free vote

especially as Corbyn has previously said he wants such a vote.

Here in sunny Southport, I will be voting Lib Dem to keep the Tories out , as I have an intense political dislike for the Tories.

I cant wait for 7 weeks of media barrage regarding this :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The two-thirds majority is needed to pass a motion in the Commons to call a general election.

Alternatively, a motion of no confidence would require only a simple majority in the Commons.

Repeal of the Act altogether would require a simple majority in both the Commons and the Lords, so plenty of scope for fun and games there. There is also the added conundrum as to whether or not the Royal Prerogative would be automatically resurrected upon repeal: the answer is not clear-cut at all, so expect litigation if it comes to this.

pemma

Veteran Member
I'd like to see a UKIP-Labour coalition as I like the UKIP hardline on immigration and them being the only party to succeed in their main aim in recent years. I also admire Labour for their stance on 'softer' issues such as the welfare state and education. It could never happen though sadly.

Don't forget coalitions are not the only option when there's a hung parliament.

Now we will ser how wrong those msm Zionist capitalist running dog polls are as Jeremy Corbyn roars into no.10

Well the polls haven't been that accurate lately!

keppoch69

On Moderation
I have been pleasantly surprised with Mrs May as our First Lord of the Treasury, Prime Minister.
After all the weak men who followed Blessed Margaret of Grantham into Number 10; it has taken a Lady with balls to start reclaiming our sceptered isle back.
I so wish for a STRONG Prime Minister. As a middle aged gent, I do not like political correctness, or the nonsense that we are "all in it together", & we <should> all flounce under the rainbow flag.
We most certainly are NOT, all the same. The rot set in with the 2cd labour/communist, government of my lifetime I believe. Our British ethics & values went down the pan. Our lovely country became a poodle to both the dis-United States of America, AND the coalescing State of Europa.
For many years, there has not been a party which I have really wanted to vote for & which I felt my views/values are shared. One is starting to feel optimistic.
Land of Hope, & Glory x.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well I will be achieving my "hatrick" of having voted Conservative in England, Scotland and now Wales in a General Election.

Can anyone beat or match that ? :p

pemma

Veteran Member
Labour MP for Chester Chris Matheson who had a majority of just 93 votes at the last election has said he'll vote against having a General Election.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Anyone up for a sweepstake on how many centuries the Tories are going to be in power for?

Status
Not open for further replies.