Theresa May Resigns & Conservative Leader Election Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FelixtheCat, 24 May 2019.

1. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

Just outside the TfGM empire border region.
    How many are there in this particular grouping?

2. AM9

AM9 Established Member

Usually about 10 twits in red jackets riding horses and 30 boisterous dogs running before them. :)

3. Geezertronic

Geezertronic Established Member

I'd call them a lot worse than twits to be honest but I'd be banned. Plus they have their thugs alongside them

4. dgl

dgl Member

..and destroy an awful lot of farmland in the process, the hunt used to cost my Grandad more in damages to fences and the like than the foxes ever did (in respect to the cost of replacing any chickens they got).

5. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    One is one too many. This is 2019 not the 18th century . We should be beyond this kind of cruel stupidity.

6. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

Anyone notice the strong correlation amongst politicians between supporting Brexit and being incompetent?

7. Xenophon PCDGS

Cruel stupidity seems also to be a trait in those people who run the human slavery rackets in Britain, which I make no apologies for classifying higher that foxes (or hares in coursing).

Have you ever seen those animal charity advertisements on television where they attach human-type feelings such as love, etc, to animals. If animals indeed are possessed of such human-type feelings, then many of the predators who kill lesser animals should also be decried, but those animal charities when asked such comparative questions shy away from answering.

8. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Eh? What on earth are you on about? Slavery?

If people want to kill foxes ( and I know many farmers who do) shoot them. Dont chase them on horseback and let a pack of dogs rip them apart.

The fact Tory boys obsess over this kind of silliness when there are at least 45677 ( one of them being modern day slavery!) more important issues to tackle in the country shows what sort of people they are.

9. Xenophon PCDGS

You cited "cruel stupidity" as practiced by human beings in the 21st century respect of animals, yet when I cite "cruel stupidity" by human beings against other human beings which also actually occurs in 21st century human slavery practices today in Britain, you have the temerity to ask "What on earth are you on about".

10. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Goodness me. Such whataboutery.

11. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

So many problems.

For a start, predators hunt out of necessity. A lion doesn't kill a warthog or antelope for fun. However, fox hunting is a sport done for fun. There is no necessity whatsoever.

Secondly, animals do have emotional capacity. There are numerous scientific studies to back this up. I've quoted the first one that came up when I searched though my university library.
    Source: https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/article/50/10/861/233998

12. SteveP29

SteveP29 Member

Is the correct answer.

If there is a fox problem, what is the most efficient way (time, energy and money wise) of ridding the countryside of them?

A gun, bang, gone (one person to feed, some ammunition and oils and cloths etc to clean the gun afterwards)

or

10 men, 10 horses, 20 beater type blokes and a pack of dogs (all need to be fed and watered etc)

Answers on a postcard please

13. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

Here’s another take which is an order of magnitude more sane - human slavery and killing animals for fun are both bad things and it’s possible to tackle more than one thing at once.

14. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

So it looks like Bojo's lack of support for our ambassador to the US has led to him (the ambassador) having to fall on his sword. I despair for what this country is going to become when this idiot gets elected as our PM without the say of 99.9% of us!

15. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

Just under 0.25% of the population gets a say. 0.35% of the electorate gets a say.

16. Xenophon PCDGS

When was the last time that the total electorate were given the opportunity to vote in the election of the leader of any British political party without holding membership of the said political party?

17. Adsy125

Adsy125 Member

When was the last time a leader of a party that is going to make one of the biggest decisions for the country in history was not elected by the electorate? Brexit has been such a mess with Vote Leave's blatant cheating and lies, and everyone wanted a different thing when they voted to leave, now Boris is promising to take us on a no deal Brexit, which wasn't an option anyone voted for, without the approval of 100% of voters (to 2sf).

18. bramling

bramling Established Member

That’s the nature of our system. People have had many years to advocate a more presidential style system, yet clearly it’s not something which has gained salience with the electorate.

Having said that I’m not fully comfortable with such decisions being made by memberships. I’d be happier if it was left to MPs of the party concerned. Nonetheless this time round we’d still probably be getting Boris. I’m not sure we’d still have Corbyn though.

Personally I think there will still be some kind of rehash of May’s deal, but with a separate arrangement for NI. How the DUP will be squared remains to be seen - perhaps a referendum in NI only?

19. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

(Bearing in mind that in the UK the electorate votes for an MP, and not a party leader or a prime minister...)

That depends on what you consider to be a big decision. One stand-out example would be the Norway Debate of 1940 that led to Chamberlain's resignation.

20. Xenophon PCDGS

A most worthy answer to a question that politicians love to put forward, by not answering the question asked, but by setting their own question.

21. Adsy125

Adsy125 Member

However leaders usually change in opposition, when no one really cares. It appears Boris is going to happily go against the Manifesto that he was elected MP as which seems a little off to me

22. Carlisle

Carlisle Established Member

Would the question on an NI only referendum ballot paper amount to,?

Do you want a hard border on:
    A) The Irish Sea ?
    Or
    B) Between NI and Eire.?

If so Id suspect the majority want neither, given they voted remain in 2016 , it’d just increase divisions, whilst solving nothing other than increase the likelihood of the Uk breaking up at some point in the not too distant future

Last edited: 11 Jul 2019 at 19:26
  23. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

Personally, I think of manifestos as being like a "five year plan", and no plan survives contact with the enemy (or reality).

I've gone and downloaded a copy of that manifesto. (I'll freely admit that I didn't read it at the time.) I noted these bits in particular:
    As of next month they won't be Theresa May's Conservatives any more. ;)

We "want" to, but might not be able to if the other side doesn't agree to what we ask...

There's plenty of ambiguous material in there that a politician of Boris Johnson's calibre can claim to be acting according to the manifesto, whether he pursues further negotiations or turns toward a no-deal exit.

Those of us that disagree with the next Prime Minister's actions will have to hope that Parliament will hold the Government to account and, if need be, replace it (through an expression of no confidence in the Government). That is what we elect our MPs for, after all.

24. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

C) Go full on mental and just cede Northern Ireland to the republic, wash our hands and put our fingers in our ears.