• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Theresa May Resigns & Conservative Leader Election Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What’s the longest term any party leader has actually served after winning a leadership contest (but not the previous GE) before going through a general election themselves? Does anyone know?
It never seems to sit well with the electorate having a prime minister that’s not been elected by the general public the usual way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Esker-pades

Established Member
What’s the longest term any party leader has actually served after winning a leadership contest (but not the previous GE) before going through a general election themselves? Does anyone know?
It never seems to sit well with the electorate having a prime minister that’s not been elected by the general public the usual way.
I think Gordon Brown (3 years).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Churchill lasted nearly five, although he didn't come through a traditional leadership contest.
That’s a very good point. They were extreme times but he certainly was the right person at the right time.
In fact he was the definition of it.

takno

Established Member
I think Gordon Brown (3 years).
More fool him. He'd probably have won an election in the first year.

Its a bit of edge case as well because Blair was fairly explicit at the election that he didn't intend to see the term out, and nobody other than Gordy was ever going to replace him

Carlisle

Established Member
Good to see Andrea Leadsom & Esther McVey out of the race, Ive no doubt they’re extremely smart and talented individuals but the simplistic fairytales they spoke on imposing a no deal Brexit & the Irish border were sufficient to convince me they shouldn’t be anywhere near a PMs job at the moment

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member

How do you feel about it?

I can well imagine some people being miffed about it, regardless of the reason why the process happens the way it does. The fact that this guy is quite likely to be their leader in a few weeks and they didn't have a say.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Good to see Andrea Leadsom & Esther McVey out of the race, whilst Ive no doubt they’re extremely smart and talented individuals generally, the simplistic fairytales they spoke on imposing a no deal Brexit & the Irish border were sufficient to convince me they shouldn’t be anywhere near a PMs job at the moment

I agree. But it does look like it's going to be Bozza. Trump, Bozza and Putin in charge of the world, basically. Twitter had best beef their servers up.

I almost find myself hoping for Jeremy, er, Hunt, purely for entertainment value of the inevitable mispronunciations.

But it is good Leadsom is gone, she's probably the furthest right of the lot.

I reckon I'd prefer Sajid Javid, but there's probably too much racism and Islamophobia in the Tory party for him to have much of a chance.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Good to see Andrea Leadsom & Esther McVey out of the race, Ive no doubt they’re extremely smart and talented individuals but the simplistic fairytales they spoke on imposing a no deal Brexit & the Irish border were sufficient to convince me they shouldn’t be anywhere near a PMs job at the moment

Neither of those women are smart or talented. McVey in particular is as thick as two short planks.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I can well imagine some people being miffed about it, regardless of the reason why the process happens the way it does. The fact that this guy is quite likely to be their leader in a few weeks and they didn't have a say.

What's wrong with that tackle? :D

Gordon Brown took over from Tony Blair and had 3 years before he lost the 2010 General Election to the Con/LIB coalition. May had 12 months before she "won" the 2017 General Election

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I've been listening to the apologists (sorry, spokesmen/women) for the candidates who got through stage 1 of the process (shades of 'The Apprentice', which given its Trumpian origins may be apt) and a truly amazing set of results has been forthcoming, they all agree. Each of their proteges has far exceeded expectations in their vote, apparently, even the ones who just scraped through. If you're looking for a man (and, yes, it's all men now, allegedly) who can get a quart into a pint pot without any spillage, then look to their man! Brexit will now be SO simple, if only Raabie Gove-Johnson-Hunt-Stewart-Hancock-Javid had been handed the baton three years ago.

Spare a thought, though, for Leadsom/McVey/Harper who were each cruelly robbed of the thousand of MPs who'd promised them their votes. McVey's husband assured her that he'd be voting for her and bringing all his friends with him, until he remembered he had no friends. I shed a tear or two (laughing) at their predilection.

Typhoon

Established Member
According to The Independent “I think that anymore blue on blue action is not what I want to get into in this contest,” he told the BBC’s World At One.

'he' is Mr Johnson who appears to have been involved in 'blue on blue action' from the minute Mrs May stepped into No 10. Most of his newspaper articles have been openly hostile , he appeared to contribute nothing to the government except demand his own plane. Any he seems to want the others to be nice to him. Fat chance.

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...nister-theresa-may-eu-elections-a8958721.html

hooverboy

On Moderation
I've been listening to the apologists (sorry, spokesmen/women) for the candidates who got through stage 1 of the process (shades of 'The Apprentice', which given its Trumpian origins may be apt) and a truly amazing set of results has been forthcoming, they all agree. Each of their proteges has far exceeded expectations in their vote, apparently, even the ones who just scraped through. If you're looking for a man (and, yes, it's all men now, allegedly) who can get a quart into a pint pot without any spillage, then look to their man! Brexit will now be SO simple, if only Raabie Gove-Johnson-Hunt-Stewart-Hancock-Javid had been handed the baton three years ago.

Spare a thought, though, for Leadsom/McVey/Harper who were each cruelly robbed of the thousand of MPs who'd promised them their votes. McVey's husband assured her that he'd be voting for her and bringing all his friends with him, until he remembered he had no friends. I shed a tear or two (laughing) at their predilection.

they need to have a dance-off!
Strictly come Brexit

DerekC

Established Member
Interesting that this thread has gone off the boil for a few days. Can I reheat it by saying that although I wouldn't vote for any of them, I thought Jeremy H and Sayeed J came out best in the BBC's debate this evening. But of course that doesn't affect the reality that Boris J will win!

TrainBoy98

Interesting that this thread has gone off the boil for a few days. Can I reheat it by saying that although I wouldn't vote for any of them, I thought Jeremy H and Sayeed J came out best in the BBC's debate this evening. But of course that doesn't affect the reality that Boris J will win!

Johnson seemed like he'd lost steam. Stewart seemed vulnerable, especially as Javid knows he needs the votes. I do think Jeremy Hunt would count as the "winner" from the debate though.

takno

Established Member
Johnson seemed like he'd lost steam. Stewart seemed vulnerable, especially as Javid knows he needs the votes. I do think Jeremy Hunt would count as the "winner" from the debate though.
I think people are people are assuming that Johnson actually wants to win. He may be an utterly self centred whatsit with no noticeable ability to run anything well, but he's got to realise this is a poisoned chalice. There's limited appeal to being the third worst-prime-minister-ever in a row

TrainBoy98

I think people are people are assuming that Johnson actually wants to win. He may be an utterly self centred whatsit with no noticeable ability to run anything well, but he's got to realise this is a poisoned chalice. There's limited appeal to being the third worst-prime-minister-ever in a row

This is also true. Cameron got out because he knew that whilst causing it was bad, the follow-through would be tons worse. May learnt the hard way. Boris wants PM, but maybe this isn't the best time.

Geezertronic

Established Member

I would suggest the fifth worst prime minister ever in a row if you count the war mongerers before

Typhoon

Established Member
Boris wants PM, but maybe this isn't the best time.
It isn't, but the clock is ticking. Mr Johnson is 55 (today - cue lukewarm chorus of 'Happy Birthday'). His ideal solution would have been that the May deal gets through, she limps on before resigning prior to the next election, he revives his excrement analogy, gets elected leader, disowns Mrs May's (unpopular) policies, wins election.

If he doesn't win this time, he faces another leader contesting the next election. If that leader gets a majority, he is stuffed, he will be pushing 63 at the time of the following election and would the new leader be wanting to stand down? If they didn't, he might be elected Leader of the Opposition, but that ranks below Foreign Secretary, nowhere near 'Prime Minister'.

There are scenarios where he could become Prime Minister if he lost this leadership election but I think we would be entering into 'skip a generation' territory (Matt Hancock?)

No, its now or never!

Darandio

Established Member
Down to the last three now with a further to go later on. Rory Stewart went last night and Sajid Javid has just been eliminated. Boris Johnson led the way with 157 votes.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Jeremy the massive Hunt or Boris the even bigger Hunt to be our PM? Is this what we have become? We are finished as a society.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Jeremy the massive Hunt or Boris the even bigger Hunt to be our PM? Is this what we have become? We are finished as a society.
Poor doesn’t even begin to describe it.
To cheer myself up I like to imagine that in this photo:
0DFC7C25-BDDE-457C-A394-51FF62E95364.jpeg
...Boris has just tweaked something unspeakable of Jeremy’s behind the lectern, and Jeremy is trying not to show how shocked he is.

This is how I’m getting through all of this...

Attachments

• 5A7FE1A2-3FAB-423B-AB10-BD1EADE6C034.jpeg
    5A7FE1A2-3FAB-423B-AB10-BD1EADE6C034.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 3

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Sorry, can't do links, but take a look at BBC2 Newsnight around 22.45 tonight re footage of Mark Field, MP and Foreign Office minister, at Mansion House. Wow!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Poor doesn’t even begin to describe it.

Not just the Tories though. Corbyn, Farage - all awful.

Sorry, can't do links, but take a look at BBC2 Newsnight around 22.45 tonight re footage of Mark Field, MP and Foreign Office minister, at Mansion House. Wow!

Just seen on Twitter. He must be on trouble for that. Completely over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.