• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TheSlash, Jim, Dennis, Liam

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
We all went for a nice trip to the Dartmoor railway today to look at some trains, we did
My day started with the 07:41 train to Cardiff, as far as Salisbury. After partying until about 2am, i was pretty out of it when i got on the train. I forgot to note where i had to change trains, luckily Jim reminded me though
At Southampton, the train was swamped by Chelsea and Liverpool supporters going to Cardiff, interesting for TheSlash as it shows how many glory supporters live in Southampton.
At Salisbury i met up with Jim and Dennis, a well timed connection saw the 159 to Exeter run in a few minutes later. We wandered through the fairly quiet train and soon found a spare table for 4
We chatted away and soon arrived at Exeter St Davids. Liam appeared from somewhere and we all wandered over to look at the tellies that tell you about trains and where they run to.
I looked into Pumpkin in search of food and had to settle for a jam doughnut
Then we re grouped on the platform for the Okehampton train and tried to sort out what was gonna happen for the day.
I can't remember the rest at the moment, so it'll have to be a 2 parter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
Part 2 then
"And they all lived happily ever after, the end" :D

We caught the train to Okehampton, where we purchased tickets from the Dartmoor railway bloke who rides the 150/2 all day. He closely resembles a forum member, but i won't say who!!
When we got to Okehampton, everybody else went off to get photos of the 150/2 and the 47 + TC arriving from Meldon. TheSlash was too focused on food for photographs
After everything had departed, we went into the station buffet where myself and Dennis had a full english breakfast, Jim had plastic flowers and Liam ate his tuna sandwiches. We chatted about various stuff then made our way to the booking office
At the booking office, we discussed the best type of ticket to get, this was overheard by the booking clerk who then took a great deal of time to explain the various ticketing options available, several times, while he stopped for breath, we quickly bought tickets and fled the booking hall before another rendition of the ticket options.
We made our way over to the bay platform and boarded the recently arrived 47 and 3 TC, where TheSlash explained TC's to Liam.
An anti climax journey to Meldon Quarry followed, with the 47 barely getting above engine idle, apparently there was a 15mph limit on.
At Meldon we made our way along a footpath that runs next to the line and the rest of the gang photographed the stuff in Meldon sidings.
Next stop was Meldon station buffet for TheSlash, Jim and Liam. Dennis went to photograph the view from the viaduct.
We caught the next service back to Okehampton and it again failed to inspire.
At Okehampton, TheSlash bumped into a member of the EMU Preservation Society team, and chatted to him on the train until Exeter.
At Exeter, Liam disappeared off to catch his train, so TheSlash, Jim and Dennis went into the station buffet for some drinks until they're train. Jim again ate the flowers. :D
Upon sitting down in the rear 3 coaches of the Paignton to London Waterloo service, Jim pointed out that our portion of the train went all the way to Portsmouth, even stopping at TheSlash's station
We chatted away and before we knew it, Salisbury was approaching and it was time for Jim and Dennis to get off.
A good day out more through the people i met than the trains i saw, nice to meet Jim, Dennis and Liam.

Dennis

Established Member
To be fair about the 'anti-climatic' journeys on the Dartmoor Railway, this isn't the first preserved line I've been on where the trains hardly get above walking speed and I'm sure it won't be the last. For high speed running and serious thrash, take a railtour! Perspnally, I was quite happy lounging around on the super comfy TC seats and admiring the fine Devon countryside.

paul1609

Established Member
Realistically all preserved lines are limited to 25mph on passenger trains which doesnt feel that fast particularly behind a diesel loco. I think the days of unofficial higher speeds are over. The emphasis is on safety especially at the moment following some unfortunate incidents so far this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.