• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thetrainline surcharges & how to avoid them

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can now save money by using a retailer like GNER, Scotrail, etc rather than Qjump or Thetralinline when buying tickets online.

Thetrainine an Qjump (which are now the same thing) charge a £1.50 credit card surcharge and they do not make this clear until the final click, so it's easy to miss it!

However companies like GNER, FSR, etc, use exactly the same system, but with different branding, and do not (currently) have any surcharge!

So you are paying £1.50 just for the privilege of using thetrainline's own branding!

Better value links include
http://www.gnertickets.co.uk
http://www.firstscotrail.trainsfares.co.uk/

Links to avoid:
www.thetrainline.com
www.qjump.co.uk

I am not sure what all the sites' policies are, the above are ones that I know do/don't make the surcharge. If anyone else has recently used any other sites and can confirm if they do a surcharge or not that would be useful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Seth - A related answer for your Solo Question - Click

Yorkie - Another Related Answer for the £1.50 Question - Click

Edit - URL Fixed

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks Chaz but neither are acceptable answers, so I gave them 'Poor' feedback.

There may be good reasons for not accepting Solo, but they have not stated them.

As for credit card surcharges, £1.50 is disproportionate and they (along with other immoral organisations) are being investigated by the authorities. <D

jd

I'd also like to know what the very good reason for places not accepting Solo is. I can't buy train tickets or cinema tickets with my solo card, but I'm free to buy anything else, including videos I shouldn't be able to buy (18 rated), and (according to the news) large meat cleavers, 12" knives, and other dangerous things.

yorkie said:
As for credit card surcharges, £1.50 is disproportionate and they (along with other immoral organisations) are being investigated by the authorities. <D
That's good to know, I'm fed up of those too!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jd said:
I'd also like to know what the very good reason for places not accepting Solo is.

Well, one of the problems is that Solo has to do the transaction online, and certain machines (APTIS for example - there are other non-railway examples) aren't online.

jd

Well so does Switch/Maestro, but they manage to accept that. And BTW, I'm talking mainly about buying things on the net anyway. It's annoying in the 'real world', but it doesn't really matter 'cos I can go round the corner to an ATM, withdraw money and pay for whatever it is in cash.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jd said:
Well so does Switch/Maestro, but they manage to accept that. And BTW, I'm talking mainly about buying things on the net anyway.

Switch (now Maestro) has an "assumed credit" or overdraft, therefore more places accept it.

jd

I know Solo isn't supposed to have an overdraft, but it seems it does. I once made a transaction by mistake which was of a greater value than my account balance, and it went through and I was then overdrawn, although I am under 16!

Guinness

Established Member
jd said:
I know Solo isn't supposed to have an overdraft, but it seems it does. I once made a transaction by mistake which was of a greater value than my account balance, and it went through and I was then overdrawn, although I am under 16!

Do you bank with the Natwest? As recently I applied through the Macclesfield Branch and I read that you could overdraw a certain number of cash although I can't remember if this was for the Switch Card for over 16's or Solo Cashcard.

jd

No, I'm with HSBC. I imagine what you read refered to the over 16's account. I don't think, IIRC, that under-16's can be given a formal loan, such as an overdraft.

David

Established Member
jd said:
IIRC, that under-16's can be given a formal loan, such as an overdraft.
Under 18's cannot (by law) have any form of credit. The exception to this is 16 and 17 year olds can have an overdraft all long as it garanteed by someone over the age of 18.

steve158

Mojo said:
jd said:
I'd also like to know what the very good reason for places not accepting Solo is.

Well, one of the problems is that Solo has to do the transaction online, and certain machines (APTIS for example - there are other non-railway examples) aren't online.

thing is, there are people who know this(you can't take solo/electron)and if they have to buy a ticket they offer to pay with a solo card and claim they have no money.

the robin hood line is notorious for it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
steve158 said:
thing is, there are people who know this(you can't take solo/electron)and if they have to buy a ticket they offer to pay with a solo card and claim they have no money.

But they're only delaying payment, as they will get an Unpaid Fare notice, surely?

Nick

steve158 said:

What do you expect from a deprived area?
Bulwell, Hucknall, Mansfield (terrible, closes after 1300 at the booking office) and Worksop have gone downhill recently as decline, if they can bunk the fare to save money they'll do it.

steve158

yorkie said:
steve158 said:

But they're only delaying payment, as they will get an Unpaid Fare notice, surely?

9 times out of 10 they will give a fake name/address if challenged.

evil_hippo

That's why the checkers on the Newcastle Metro will in every case radio the control centre in South Gosforth where they will check the details given.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's a criminal offence to give a false name and address, I believe.

Guinness

Established Member
It is a criminal offence. I remember reading about how a man fare dodged frequently in the South West on Virgin Trains. The TM contacted control about the post code and it didn't match the address and was arrested.

Result :)

steve158

Chaz said:
It is a criminal offence. I remember reading about how a man fare dodged frequently in the South West on Virgin Trains. The TM contacted control about the post code and it didn't match the address and was arrested.

we're getting that technology in soon i believe. i had someone trying to dodge a pound 40 fare yesterday - what can you do??

Guinness

Established Member
steve158 said:
Chaz said:

we're getting that technology in soon i believe. i had someone trying to dodge a pound 40 fare yesterday - what can you do??

Excellent :) More money for the Railways and less money for the Goverment to pump into the system (I'd prefer both but we know Blair won't do it).

voyagerdude220

Established Member
yorkie said:
You can now save money by using a retailer like GNER, Scotrail, etc rather than Qjump or Thetralinline when buying tickets online.

Thetrainine an Qjump (which are now the same thing) charge a £1.50 credit card surcharge and they do not make this clear until the final click, so it's easy to miss it!

However companies like GNER, FSR, etc, use exactly the same system, but with different branding, and do not (currently) have any surcharge!

So you are paying £1.50 just for the privilege of using thetrainline's own branding!

Yep, I spotted this in the RAIL magazine, & think it's a rip-off, considering other companies offering the same services don't charge you the £1.50.

steve158

Nick said:
steve158 said:

What do you expect from a deprived area?
Bulwell, Hucknall, Mansfield (terrible, closes after 1300 at the booking office) and Worksop have gone downhill recently as decline, if they can bunk the fare to save money they'll do it.

nobody in mansfield booking office now!

Status
Not open for further replies.