• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

They're trying to catch me out aren't they.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw1ller

Established Member
Ok, so I'm at the assessment stage after passing a managers interview and the email I've been sent says "dress comfortably, a suit is not necessary"

Now, I obviously got all dolled up for the interview, I'm thinking I should make the same effort for the tests too but this email has thrown me a little.

I'd rather turn up in a suit and be the only one there in a suit rather than turn up in casual clothing and have everyone else dressed to the nines!

Am I over thinking this? What would you do!?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BTU

Ok, so I'm at the assessment stage after passing a managers interview and the email I've been sent says "dress comfortably, a suit is not necessary"

Now, I obviously got all dolled up for the interview, I'm thinking I should make the same effort for the tests too but this email has thrown me a little.

I'd rather turn up in a suit and be the only one there in a suit rather than turn up in casual clothing and have everyone else dressed to the nines!

You are over thinking it , just dress smart nice shoes a pair of mole skins and a shirt and jacket . Job done.

TDK

Established Member

Maybe not necessary but wear one anyway

krus_aragon

Established Member
If you're comfortable in a suit, then you've dressed comfortably, haven't you?

I'd agree that a shirt and tie is a minimum standard you should meet, whatever your choice.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I reckon that they are telling you that not wearing a business is fine and you won't be penalised for it if you don't, but that you should still dress smartly.

Basically, wear a suit if you want to. They aren't telling you not to!

TDK

Established Member
I reckon that they are telling you that not wearing a business is fine and you won't be penalised for it if you don't, but that you should still dress smartly.

Basically, wear a suit if you want to. They aren't telling you not to!

The thing is, if you do wear a suit and get the same results as someone who hasn't you will get the job over them.

Clip

Established Member
The thing is, if you do wear a suit and get the same results as someone who hasn't you will get the job over them.

I don't believe this to be true at all.

One important thing about interviews and such like nowadays is following instructions, if it says dress comfortably that means just that and does not mean that someone wearing a suit will get the job ahead of someone just in a pair of trousers & shirt(no tie)

IKB

Personally, I would wear a suit. I did for my assessments and it didn't do me any harm.

If you don't want to wear a suit, then perhaps smart trousers, a shirt, v-neck jumper and a tie.

Aivilo

I would go in a suit regardless. Your expressions yourself so I would want to be as smart as possible

Clip

Established Member
I would go in a suit regardless. Your expressions yourself so I would want to be as smart as possible

But they have already done that at the most important bit to be looking smart at - the interview.

Johncleesefan

Just go in your best Sunday thread and you cant go wrong. You be be stressing "have u made a mistake" all the way through the day in casuals. Especially if everyone else is smarts, go smarts easy

Aivilo

But they have already done that at the most important bit to be looking smart at - the interview.

I shouldn't even comment when I can't even proof read my message.

I'm a driver that wears a tie, so at all stages through recruitment I would be as smart as possible.

Just my opinion

Bromley boy

Established Member

Suited and booted all the way!

Suspect they are looking to test peoples' judgement and professionalism rather than "catch anyone out".

If I were attending any kind of job interview or selection process I would always go in a suit and tie with polished shoes. No one can criticise you for dressing smartly and professionally, but as you rightly say if you don't wear a suit and others do you will immediately feel at disadvantage.

Last edited:

sw1ller

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies.

What I didn't mention in the original post was, if I turn up in a suit, which is what I now think I'll do, would that look like I can't follow simple instructions? I've honestly been wrecking my head over this and it's such a minor point! The tests I'm hardly worried about as I've gone over and over and...... Well you know!

I'm a night shift lorry driver by trade, suits are not my strong point but being ex forces, I do know how to be smart in uniform! I'm just worried as I have to dress myself I think! [emoji23][emoji23]. Once they tell me what to wear I'll be grand!

Anyway... A suit it is, I think it's the best option.

Thanks again everyone.

Trico382

You are over thinking it mate. I went in a suit to all stages but there were also people in (as suggested above) trousers and a shirt/v neck jumper and I'm sure it made no real difference and both variations passed!

TDK

Established Member
I don't believe this to be true at all.

One important thing about interviews and such like nowadays is following instructions, if it says dress comfortably that means just that and does not mean that someone wearing a suit will get the job ahead of someone just in a pair of trousers & shirt(no tie)

Have you actually done driver recruitment? You can believe it isn't true however if 2 candidates have the same results they need to be separated by something!

ComUtoR

Established Member
Have you actually done driver recruitment? You can believe it isn't true however if 2 candidates have the same results they need to be separated by something!

I agree. Whilst I haven't done train recruitment I have been in recruitment.

It can be the simplest of things that gets you to choose one candidate over another. A single word in the right place can sway the interviewer and a well fitted suit verses smart casual may be the clincher. However; smart casual may also be what sways the candidate...

WCMLaddict

But people who are going to be choosing the candidates are not going to be there!
This is assessment stage not interview.
Depot or area managers who normally sign off the trainee course attendees (effectively choose who is getting the job) are not going to be there...

TDK you might have been involved in the driver recruitment but it looks like that have been some time ago.

Clip

Established Member

Then I would give it to the one who actually followed the bloody instructions as that's rather an important trait is it not for the role?

"dress comfortably, a suit is not necessary"

TDK

Established Member
Then I would give it to the one who actually followed the bloody instructions as that's rather an important trait is it not for the role?

But that is you Clip, no disrespect and I did recruitment quite a while back and a few things have changed however if it is now the norm for driver managers or any company representatives not to attend the assessment process then it doesn't matter what you wear. Do company representatives still attend the MMI, if so wear a suit?

Clip

Established Member
And I still do recruitment now and one of the first things you look for is if people can pay attention to what they are told. I've not said for the OP to go in shorts and flip flops but his instructions are quite clear and they have already passed the part where they need to be in a whistle so shirt and trousers to me would be fine.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Necessary

They are not being instructed NOT to wear a suit.

It is being told to the applicant to make them feel comfortable and to reassure those who feel pressured to wear a suit to an interview.

My smart/casual clothes are very casual and I wouldn't feel appropriately dressed so personally I'd be in a suit. It makes ME feel comfortable.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I can't remember but isn't there a famous self made businessman who states. Dark navy suit, white shirt, red tie.

sw1ller

Established Member
Well I'm glad this has been straightened out!! Haha

Now I'm back to square one.... Do I follow the instructions and go in my pyjamas or do I wear a suit?

Seriously though guys, thanks for your input. I will be going in a suit, but now I need a well fitted one! [emoji106]

Clip

Established Member

They are not being instructed NOT to wear a suit.

It is being told to the applicant to make them feel comfortable and to reassure those who feel pressured to wear a suit to an interview.

Good god this is hard work.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/necessary

1. required, needed. Necessary, essential, indispensable, requisite indicate something vital for the fulfillment of a need

so to put 'not' in front of it means it is not required, needed, necessary, essential, indispensable, requisite or to indicate vital for the fulfilment of the day.

I give up OP - go what you feel comfortable in - for the sake of repeating myself - you have done the really hard part in getting passed the interview stage so just prepare for the tests and good luck.

sw1ller

Established Member
Thanks very much, I really didn't mean this to cause so much bother. All the input is very much appreciated

new2this

I will just add my two pennies worth here, I wore a suit at every aspect of my interview, I wanted to look smart and presentable, the one thing I found out during every aspect and not just the training when you are successful, is that you are being watched and reported back on, from the get go you are being judged to a degree and it all goes back to management at some level. Just my oppinion.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do, go smart or suited up.

kelv

I got told this for an assessment at Jaguar Landrover, in fact the words wear "Just wear something comfortable.... Trackies & Trainers will do."

No prizes for guessing that it was at Halewood that I was given the Scousest Interview Advice ever.

* I'm an Evertonian btw before any of the natives take umbridge.

Had a phone call the day before 1 in New Zealand where they said "listen mate it's roasting in here at the moment & we know what you poms are like turning up in suits etc, we're all in shorts & t-shirts so there's no need for you to dress any differently."
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well I'm glad this has been straightened out!! Haha

Now I'm back to square one.... Do I follow the instructions and go in my pyjamas or do I wear a suit?

Seriously though guys, thanks for your input. I will be going in a suit, but now I need a well fitted one! [emoji106]

Golfers always dress smart, casual and in clothes that offer a degree of comfort.

Now you just have to decide which Golfers style is for you ? may I suggest Mr Poulter ?

Minus visor & putter obviously

Status
Not open for further replies.