• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things to do in Bordeaux

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thinking of visiting Bordeaux and was wondering if anyone could suggest some good rail and non-rail related things to do there.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Thinking of visiting Bordeaux and was wondering if anyone could suggest some good rail and non-rail related things to do there.

Cheers

Plenty of historic stuff to see in Bordeaux, and more recent stuff to drink :)
Climb the tower of St Michel - its not too far from the station, which is worth a visit.
Explore the tramway network.

Assuming reasonable weather, there are or were cheap seasonal TER return fares to Arcachon, and you can climb the Dune du Pilat (bus ride then very hard work!) or there's a little tourist train at Cap Ferret, a ferry ride across the bay.
There's also a branch along the south bank of the Gironde, but I've not done that.

leightonbd

Cheers

Afternoon trip to taste wine; you get a country tour and wine tasting at 2 or 3 chateaux to boot. A great way to get the best of Bordeaux. Book at the tourist office.

Eat caneles - distinctively shaped little cakes, not at all well known here but you will see them everywhere.

For free - just walk the length of the river and paddle in the fountains. Great architecture.

You could get a lot of Bordeaux with a 2 night stay, and, unless you are a real oenophile, everything most people would want to do in three.

Trip to Arcachon as referred to is a nice idea.

Station, from what I recall, is not very exciting but there was a lot of work going on there (summer 2016). There are trams too.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Plenty of historic stuff to see in Bordeaux, and more recent stuff to drink :)
Climb the tower of St Michel - its not too far from the station, which is worth a visit.
Explore the tramway network.

Assuming reasonable weather, there are or were cheap seasonal TER return fares to Arcachon, and you can climb the Dune du Pilat (bus ride then very hard work!) or there's a little tourist train at Cap Ferret, a ferry ride across the bay.
There's also a branch along the south bank of the Gironde, but I've not done that.

Thank you, yes nothing like a nice bottle of French wine! Tramway network sounds good, I enjoyed Geveva's a few years ago. Arcachont sounds interesting too, cheers :D

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Afternoon trip to taste wine; you get a country tour and wine tasting at 2 or 3 chateaux to boot. A great way to get the best of Bordeaux. Book at the tourist office.

Eat caneles - distinctively shaped little cakes, not at all well known here but you will see them everywhere.

For free - just walk the length of the river and paddle in the fountains. Great architecture.

You could get a lot of Bordeaux with a 2 night stay, and, unless you are a real oenophile, everything most people would want to do in three.

Trip to Arcachon as referred to is a nice idea.

Station, from what I recall, is not very exciting but there was a lot of work going on there (summer 2016). There are trams too.

Wine is definitely on the list! :lol: Heard about the caneles, are they any good? Not bothered too much what St Jean is like but I am keen on the idea of flying to Paris and then TGV to Bordeaux.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thought I'd also ask if anyone can recommend any museums, hotels or restaurants if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.