• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things to do in Mallaig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

I am taking a trip up to Fort William in May on the Cally Sleeper.

I am hoping to go on to Mallaig but as I was planning to get the 1212 train up to Mallaig and get the 1634 back

What is there to do in Mallaig for those couple of hrs or so? I am taking the wife so have got to keep her sweet

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ge-gn

Not a great deal frankly. It's pleasant enough, just not especially exciting. Fish and chips by the harbour. There's a footpath up to a hill overlooking the town, harbour, and islands. Nice view, probably kill and hour or so. There may or may not be a decent pub. I didn't get a chance to find out unfortunately.

Mike99

I'm doing the same in May, up on the sleeper then the 12:12 off Fort William, I thought I would just mooch about in Mallaig, have some fish and chips and just sit and look out to sea. Unless it's pouring down it'll be ok, a few years back I got off the sleeper at Crianlarich and waited for the first Oban so I just sat in the café and platform, time soon went, I recall the sleeper was about 20minutes late so left about 2 hours 5 minutes to wait.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not a great deal frankly. It's pleasant enough, just not especially exciting. Fish and chips by the harbour. There's a footpath up to a hill overlooking the town, harbour, and islands. Nice view, probably kill and hour or so. There may or may not be a decent pub. I didn't get a chance to find out unfortunately.

I've certainly been in a pub in Mallaig and it was decent enough. I can't remember much else about it.

tony_mac

Established Member
I've certainly been in a pub in Mallaig and it was decent enough. I can't remember much else about it.
Must have been good then!

There is time to take the boat over to Skye and back again. There are some great views from the ferry, it's pretty cheap, and there is a coffee shop onboard.

takno

Established Member
If the weather's good and you like a walk it's fairly pleasant back down the back road to Morar or Arisaig. Unfortunately if you've only got a couple of hours the bit out of Mallaig itself is the least interesting bit.

Requeststop

It's a shame that you are travelling all that way for an instant return. It's worth a couple of nights stay.
I did a couple of nights stay in a local B&B and took the ferry to Skye and a day trip to Canna as well. It's a good ride, and for 2-3 Hours on a lovely and yet small island, it's well worth the fare. Admittedly, I was lucky in that it was an absolutely glorious day. However, enjoy the ride with your wife, and have a great time.

pitdiver

Would love to been able to stay longer but it was originally just a ride on the sleeper to FTW. But then extended that to Mallaig just to see the scenery. The trip over to Armadale was really to kill some time and have a trip on a boat.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
There is a good second hand book shop near to the station, with a nearby Co-Op as well. The station building has WiFi as well if you need to waste time before the 156s get unlocked

I would have said catch the coach (Route 500) from Fort William to Mallaig to get a different view of the trip out west, returning on the 156. Or even getting off at Glenfinnan for a walk to the viaduct (there is a footpath which comes in over the hill giving a fantastic view of the viaduct in all its horseshoe glory) before the bus to Mallaig to catch the train back to Fort William.

Mike99

There is a good second hand book shop near to the station, with a nearby Co-Op as well. The station building has WiFi as well if you need to waste time before the 156s get unlocked

I would have said catch the coach (Route 500) from Fort William to Mallaig to get a different view of the trip out west, returning on the 156. Or even getting off at Glenfinnan for a walk to the viaduct (there is a footpath which comes in over the hill giving a fantastic view of the viaduct in all its horseshoe glory) before the bus to Mallaig to catch the train back to Fort William.

I thought about that option, I had a look at the bus times so I might do that just to say I've done it!!!

gcmozart

The heritage centre would kill some time, it is a long time since i visited but i remember it being pleasant & interesting.

We were there last year and the Backpackers Lodge was good for a drink and a quick bite of food.

I presume the sleeper is booked, but another possibility could have been the ferry to Skye then bus to Kyle of Lochalsh then Kyle line to Inverness & sleeper back from there.

Also Western Isles Cruises provide a couple of nice cruises (including across to Knoydart), but it think the timing doesn't quite work for you

pitdiver

The heritage centre would kill some time, it is a long time since i visited but i remember it being pleasant & interesting.

We were there last year and the Backpackers Lodge was good for a drink and a quick bite of food.

I presume the sleeper is booked, but another possibility could have been the ferry to Skye then bus to Kyle of Lochalsh then Kyle line to Inverness & sleeper back from there.

Also Western Isles Cruises provide a couple of nice cruises (including across to Knoydart), but it think the timing doesn't quite work for you
I think we might tackle that next year. Upto Inverness on the sleeper, train to the Kyle over to Skye. Then down to Armadale over to Mallaig then decide what to do from there.
I forgot to say that the sleeper was booked in January asI have a Priv pass so I had to book early to get the Priv rate.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Yes, there are luggage lockers, of various sizes. Payment is by coins into the slot. Insert your bag first to select the correct size locker, close the door, then pay cash and receive a ticket with an ID number on - necessary to retrieve to luggage later. They are only accessible during station opening hours.

I think all of the lockers are inside the toilet area, so the toilets need to be open to access the lockers, but there may have been some outside in the corridor as well. I'm sure Scotrail can advise.

I was there last week, if you had asked earlier I could have paid more attention and noted the exact location and price!

There are also showers - paid for at the ticket office.

Morrisons supermarket close by through the station side exit and the 'bus station', Tesco Express in the main street via the main station exit and the pedestrian subway.

If your trip to Mallaig is on a Saturday, note the much reduced bus service.

Fort William to Mallaig is service 500, serves rail stations (or close by) en-route. Local Mallaig service 501 serves Arisaig and Morar. Beware the on-line timetables (Traveline or Shiel Buses versions).

I alighted the train at Morar (1327ish), walked to the loch, silver sands, through Morar village on the old road and then down the main road into Mallaig. A bit tedious on the main road but the view out to the isles as you approach town is good (parallel to the railway). Arrived in Mallaig with an hour to spare for the 1605 return train, but I walk at a decent pace.

pitdiver

Just got back from Fort William (Saturday Morning) great few days weather was great. Next year Inverness then onto Thurso.
We had fun going up on the sleeper late due to low power so consequently were held at Bridge Of Orchy for about an hour to wait for a southbound freight. Got into Fort Bill at about 1059. Sadly only 58 mins late.
We did go onto Mallaig but sadly the ferry was two hours later due to tides at Armadale so didn't have time to get there and back.

Some interesting sights in Mallaig a strange vessel moored at the quay couldn't figure out what is was. However enjoyable time there.
We found the cafe part of the seamen's mission had a decent snack in there but did try "The Tea Garden" sat in there for about 10 mins totally ignored despite being led to a table my a member of staff. So we left.

As I said hoping to do Inverness and Thurso next winter. Anything to do in Thurso BTW. Possibly stay overnight in Thurso

The important thing the wife enjoyed the trip she was amazed at the scenery all the way from Crianlarich to FTW then also to Mallaig.

All in all a worthwhile flying visit to the West Highlands.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Just got back from Fort William (Saturday Morning) great few days weather was great. Next year Inverness then onto Thurso.
We had fun going up on the sleeper late due to low power so consequently were held at Bridge Of Orchy for about an hour to wait for a southbound freight. Got into Fort Bill at about 1059. Sadly only 58 mins late.
We did go onto Mallaig but sadly the ferry was two hours later due to tides at Armadale so didn't have time to get there and back.

Some interesting sights in Mallaig a strange vessel moored at the quay couldn't figure out what is was. However enjoyable time there.
We found the cafe part of the seamen's mission had a decent snack in there but did try "The Tea Garden" sat in there for about 10 mins totally ignored despite being led to a table my a member of staff. So we left.

As I said hoping to do Inverness and Thurso next winter. Anything to do in Thurso BTW. Possibly stay overnight in Thurso

The important thing the wife enjoyed the trip she was amazed at the scenery all the way from Crianlarich to FTW then also to Mallaig.

All in all a worthwhile flying visit to the West Highlands.

Good to hear. I’m up there in a few weeks, so will avoid that cafe!

Mike99

I took the fort bill sleeper up on Wednesday night then on to Mallaig Thursday lunchtime, I just sat around the harbour in the glorious sunshine and had a Ice Cream, lovely

takno

Established Member
As I said hoping to do Inverness and Thurso next winter. Anything to do in Thurso BTW. Possibly stay overnight in Thurso.
Thurso is a more substantial actual town. It definitely isn't as pretty as Mallaig, and the facilities are more dedicated to normal people living their lives. There are pubs and coffee/tea shops though, and reasonable places to stay. There's also a passable bus service to John'O'Groats in case you want to pop there and say you've been.

pitdiver

In fact next year we are thinking of being up there a lot longer. Up to Thurso meet a friend who may come down from Kirkwall. Then over to the Kyle etc. We will get the sleeper to Inverness then perhaps some sort of Priv Ranger for Scotland.

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
Ferry to Armadale - bus to Kyle of Lochalsh - back via the Kyle line. Do not, whatever you do miss the Cullen Skink at the fish and chip shop served half way up the hill on the Morar road - bloody nectar!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.