• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things to see on the ECML

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPosh

At the start of April we are taking the kids to Scotland for a couple of days.

Thanks to last year's free rewards scheme, we are traveling first class from Newark to Edinburgh.

I'm looking forward to the journey and so are the kids, but I'm thinking that 3 1/2 hours may start to drag for them.

I want to do a 'spotters guide' type of thing - landmarks, or anything interesting (not particularly railway based) for them to tick off. They're ten and seven and bright, observant kids, so they can be quite obscure.

I've got a few in mind, but I'd welcome any suggestions, especially further north as I rarely travel there.

Thanks all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Holy island (as long as the weather is clear), and there is the women lying on her back that they have built in the ground.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
The Tyne Bridges
The Angel of The North
The White Horse
Pub at Little Bytham
Hornby Church

Kryten2340

Durham Cathedral as you go through Durham
St James Park as you approach Newcastle
The Ouseburn viaduct just after you leave Newcastle and approach Heaton TMD.

calc7

Established Member
Bonus points for spotting the Scotch border sign a couple of miles north of Berwick.
Also could do stuff like counting the arches on the Berwick viaduct (my favourite bit of the run, I am in awe every time I see it)

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Bonus points for spotting the Scotch border sign a couple of miles north of Berwick.
Also could do stuff like counting the arches on the Berwick viaduct (my favourite bit of the run, I am in awe every time I see it)

and Berwick Ranger's ground. :lol:

Apart from that, Arsenal's, The Sports Direct Area and Peterborough United's ground what other grounds can you see from the ECML?

oh and when you are crossing the Ouseburn you can see Gateshead Stadium, the home of mighty Gateshead across the river, and I forgot Darlo's ground

NathanPrior

Apart from that, Arsenal's, The Sports Direct Area and Peterborough United's ground what other grounds can you see from the ECML?

oh and when you are crossing the Ouseburn you can see Gateshead Stadium, the home of mighty Gateshead across the river, and I forgot Darlo's ground

You can see The Keepmoat Stadium (Doncaster) I do believe just before coming into Doncaster, although last time I came out of Donny it was at night so I'm not too sure, but according to google maps its next to the train line.

Mike C

They won't see Little Bytham going from Newark to Edinburgh. It's between Grantham and Peterborough.

EDIT:
But for observant kids - see if they can see The Sidings Hotel, 5 miles north of York (out of the RHS as you travel north).

calc7

Established Member
Bonus points for being the first to spot the sea.

And, just for the crack, if you happen to be in First, booby prize to the person to spot the drinks trolley :lol:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Look out for a book called Britain from the Rails by Benedict Le Vay. Lots of railway and non-railway things to look out for and very suitable for kids.

MrPosh

Thanks everyone. Keep 'em coming.

Don't need to look out for the Posh's ground (if we were going that way). It's the family's second home.

transmanche

Established Member
The only thing that should ever be described as "Scotch" is Whisky.
And beef! :)

Although bringing it back to the railway, AFAIU the Flying Scotsman (service) was originally called the Special Scotch Express.

Capybara

Immediately after you cross the River Tees look to the right and there are some rather nice, well-kept playing fields. That's Middlesbrough's training ground that is.

GNER 373

Donny's ground, Wabtec Factory, York Station, NRM, Darlo's ground, Durham
Cathedral, Angel of the North, Tyne Bridges, St James Park, Newcastle's 'Castle', Ouseburn Viaduct, Heaton TMD and if your in luck a Tyne & Wear Metro pulling into Chillingham Road Station, Newcastle United's Training Ground, the woman in the ground sculpture, Alnmouth Bay, Bamburgh and Dunstanburgh castles, Holy Island, Berwick Viaduct, Torness Nuclear Power Station, Craigentinny TMD and Edinburgh....probably missed a few more things out but that's normally what I look for on this run! Enjoy

Capybara

You can also just about see York City's ground if you know where to look, but you will probably be looking at the NRM which is on the other side.

Yew

Established Member
Sometimes you can see lincoln cathederal between tuxford and retford. Unfortuantely I cant offer more advice, as The only time i did this journey it was dark :( however I could tell ther was some good scenery there :)

scotsman

Established Member
See if they can count all 24(?) level crossings between Newcastle and Berwick!

Anon Mouse

Established Member
The Aln Valley's American switcher can be seen shortly after crossing the viaduct north of Alnmouth station, that is a real beast!

Crossover

Established Member
I don't think anyone has mentioned it but York Wheel can be seen on the riverside.

I haven't done the line myself beyond Northallerton yet so don't know many and may have to look out for some of these things when I do head that way.
The only other thought would be to try count the number of enthusiasts on the platform ends at Doncaster...I lost count this morning when passing through!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Alexandra Palace (home of the BBC)

Emirates Stadium

My uncles old dairy shop in Holloway (now a house)

Status
Not open for further replies.