• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things you've done that would have been "fun" to explain if you'd been seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
This thread exists for members to share things they've done which were perfectly legitimate, but for whatever reason would have seemed to be decidedly dodgy if a random person had seen it.

Hopefully that makes sense! :) Here's an example to illustrate the concept.

It's a lovely late summer's night in the countryside. It's past midnight, the moon is shining and owls are hooting etc etc. Out of the darkness comes a slightly battered, long-wheelbase white Ford Transit. It turns down a farm access track, and drives down very slowly. At the end of the track, it turns around (perhaps ready to make a quick getaway?) and parks. Two people get out and start to wave torches about, seemingly looking for something. After a few minutes, they go back to the van and leave, again driving quite slowly. Rather suspicious activity, to say the least.

Alternatively:
One of my school friends is a hot air balloon pilot. Earlier that day, his older brother (also a pilot) flew their balloon and landed on the farm mentioned above. My friend and I were the pick up crew in the van. We collected the balloon and left. It was then noticed that the hand-painted magnetic sign on the van side was no longer there (having only been drawn that afternoon!). Therefore we decided to go and have a look for it after refilling the fuel tanks.
This took rather a long time: for some reason I can't remember, there were 13 LPG cylinders to fill, stored over two balloon baskets. Myself, my friend and his mum (also a pilot; three in one family!) spent getting on for two hours doing the refuelling at the regular petrol station (I can't remember quite why it took this long, but it was gone 2300 by the time we'd finished).
Anyway, my friend and I then went back to the landing site to look for the sign, because it had been on at that point. Hence the activity written above. We didn't find the sign there, but about a mile down the road, so it wasn't a wasted journey.

To top it off, had anyone come to investigate, they would have found two slightly tired 18 year olds giving the slightly implausible explanation above. I mean, would you seriously believe that an 18 year old can be a qualified hot air balloon pilot? Or that an 18 year old is insured to drive a 3.5 ton van? :D

I might as well complete the story while I'm here:
  • That was the first time I'd ever driven a van
  • I had a fun time reversing the van down the access to where it's normally parked: at the end of a narrow alley perpendicular to the road, with the narrowest point being at the start, between two brick buildings barely wide enough for the van straight, let alone one reversing into the gap whilst making a 90 degree turn. And as I said, I'd never driven a van before... :D
  • We were out again the next morning, so I got maybe 3 hour's sleep that night.
  • And again in the afternoon. Total awake duration of probably 40 or more hours, with around 3 hour's sleep. And I think I was driving the van again that afternoon... :D:D

I look forward to hearing from other forum members about their similarly dodgy experiences, although by no means do you need to go to the same level of detail as I have!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Being a van driver myself, I’m sure there’s plenty I’ve done to look suspicious!

Delivering large flat empty cardboard boxes to all manner of locations such as high-streets, apartments, accommodations, hospitals and nursing homes.

Turning up at footballers/famous people’s houses in my Transit and having the gates open for me automatically as I approach.

Have had to explain to the Police on one occasion that the back of my van is full of goods bound for The Philippines! (Thus proves the importance of having ones paperwork in order!).

Pulling over in random side-streets outside houses and eating lunch/checking the map.

I could go on!

ABB125

Established Member
Being a van driver myself, I’m sure there’s plenty I’ve done to look suspicious!

Delivering large flat empty cardboard boxes to all manner of locations such as high-streets, apartments, accommodations, hospitals and nursing homes.

Turning up at footballers/famous people’s houses in my Transit and having the gates open for me automatically as I approach.

Have had to explain to the Police on one occasion that the back of my van is full of goods bound for The Philippines! (Thus proves the importance of having ones paperwork in order!).

Pulling over in random side-streets outside houses and eating lunch/checking the map.

I could go on!
Sounds fun!

Lucan

Established Member
I was once using a blank wall in an industrial estate at about 2300 hrs to align my car headlights. To make matters worse I naturally I had a toolbox with me. A police car showed up and they really put me through the Inquisition.

ABB125

Established Member
I was once using a blank wall in an industrial estate at about 2300 hrs to align my car headlights. To make matters worse I naturally I had a toolbox with me. A police car showed up and they really put me through the Inquisition.
Definitely not suspicious-looking at all... :D:D

CarltonA

I purchased a Travelcard from a TVM in Chilternland. I was issued with the ticket together with a blank. I briefly considered throwing the blank away but put it in my pocket. When I tried the barriers at Marylebone the ticket was rejected. As a matter of curiosity I tried the blank. It worked perfectly.

I then spent most of the day going round London using a completely blank ticket to open all the barriers. No staff or public noticed so there were no awkward questions. Obviously two tickets had been fed through the printer at the same time.

ABB125

Established Member
I purchased a Travelcard from a TVM in Chilternland. I was issued with the ticket together with a blank. I briefly considered throwing the blank away but put it in my pocket. When I tried the barriers at Marylebone the ticket was rejected. As a matter of curiosity I tried the blank. It worked perfectly.

I then spent most of the day going round London using a completely blank ticket to open all the barriers. No staff or public noticed so there were no awkward questions. Obviously two tickets had been fed through the printer at the same time.
Interesting - presumably the magnetic identity of the ticket was on the blank.

PaulC1309

Funnily enough many years ago a friend and I were doing this exact same thing with the same result details taken and questioned by local cops who spotted us.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member

I did something very similar back in 2014!

On one of my bashing trips I found a random boundary zone ticket that had expired the previous day. At the time I collected masses of train tickets so I took it. After mistaking it for my paper travelcard (RIP), it actually worked the barriers at Paddington.

And it did so everywhere else for the next 3 days.

A Challenge

Established Member
My submission is climbing under the barriers at Inverness

When I was in Scotland in 2017 - went onto the platform to see a steam train off (barriers open), but when we came back they had shut them, but there weren't any staff around at the time so the only way we could get out was crawling under the barriers!

johntea

Established Member
I was once fiddling about with some cables behind a TV screen (IT worker in a hospital) and a member of the public saw me and reported me to the reception/security because they thought I was in the middle of trying to nick the thing! :D

ABB125

Established Member
My submission is climbing under the barriers at Inverness

When I was in Scotland in 2017 - went onto the platform to see a steam train off (barriers open), but when we came back they had shut them, but there weren't any staff around at the time so the only way we could get out was crawling under the barriers!
I had something similar at University last year - there were unusually two freights due through in succession, and a saw that the gates were open, so I went in. On the way out, the gates were closed! I had to convince the barrier person that all I'd done was take some pictures...

eoff

I have been 'mapping' a new housing area where one of my close relatives has moved. Initially none of the streets were on google maps and the postcode database did not thave the postcode. As a result they had issues with deliveries.

What this means is that I walk around all the streeets (both sides) and along non-road-edge paths and around fenced off parts of parks or play areas multiple times with a handheld GPS. I need to do this a few times to get an accurate placing. I also go back a few times as new houses/roads are built.
I then upload the data to OpenStreetMap.
This really freaks out some people who can't work out what I'm going. One woman came after me to ask what I was doing because I was near some kids playing in one of the parks (I didn't interact with them). Normally if there are kids nearby with an adult then I tell the adult what I'm doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.