• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thinking about Liverpool Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
By mechanical do you mean semaphore? There was four aspect lights but ISTR they were quite clunky and once paths were set up, they were reluctant to change anything. The approach contol at Shenfield took a lot of time out of the headway as the double junction onto the Southend lines was quite slow (30mph ?) so once it was set, the up main line was blocked. In those days, trains beyond Colchester were usually class 47s pulling 10 or 11 car mkI and mkII rakes. Occasionally, the fast Southend would get switched over to platform 4 and sent round the down loop.
On the down slow Southend in the pm peak, I think that Stratford platform 11 was used because it avoided crossing the up fast and using a platform 8 path.
I was thinking absolute block, with trains being offered and accepted with bell signals, and mechanical interlocking in the boxes. The signalman workload must have been massive if it was like that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I was thinking absolute block, with trains being offered and accepted with bell signals, and mechanical interlocking in the boxes. The signalman workload must have been massive if it was like that.

Colour light (searchlights) all over the electrified area as I remember, but rather more signalboxes.

AM9

Veteran Member
I've just checked in Cecil J Allen's book 'The Great Eastern Railway' where he says of the state of the line(s) after the Chelmsford and Southend electrification extensions: "Integral factors in the success of this electrification have been the flyover built between Manor Park and Ilford to carry the electric trains from the up to the down side of the main line, and the flyunder at Shenfield to keep down Southend trains clear of the main line; also four-aspect electric colour-light signalling, automatic throughout except at the junctions." That was describing the situation in 1956. I imagine that apart from any necessary ac immunisation when the line was converted to 25kV 5 years later, that the signalling was essentially the same in the early '70s. Never the less, the task was a considerable one in view of the number of trains running in the peak.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

Early form of NX panels , with lever operated points ! , sort of hybrid. Trains described forward by simplified codes - e.g "LVE" , or "LV1" , very busy but especially so for regulating points where trains were switched from electrics to mains , and especially at Gidea Park where the signalman of the day had to manage the stock movements into and out of the carriage sidings , regulated the electrics and do the main line. Not many track circuits in the yard , and no point heaters ! (the logic of the day was for the signalman to deal with them ! - along with everything else.)

In pure mechanical days , it was deemed "ok" not to use the call attention bell code , as things moved too fast and furious. When some inspector insisted on it - the whole peak backed up for about 40 mins. GE traincrews crews were also masters at the Westinghouse brake with the potential for smart stops and quick release.

Taunton

Established Member
The signalling installed for the 1949 electrification was basically LNER spec searchlights; they were the principal user of these, all around their system, and had been partially delivered before the war from the USA suppliers, who later franchised a British manufacturer. I don't remember them being approach-lit, unlike those installed by the LNER as distant signals on main lines in rural areas.

The LNER had little capital available for investment in the 1930s, but there was still a government tax on train tickets. This was cancelled, provided the difference was invested in capital projects, and the 1930s-design electrification scheme was a principal one.

The 1949 1,500v DC electrification was changed over to 6.25Kv AC in 1961. This embraced all the old DC line, right out to Southend, and also the new Enfield/Chingford etc electric lines as far as Cheshunt. Only beyond was initially proper 25Kv, and the second class only suburban units hardly ever worked on 25Kv. It was in the 1980s that these were progressively changed again to 25Kv throughout. The performance difference was notable on the Clacton electric units, whose acceleration was spectacular on the full voltage sections beyond Shenfield, but felt decidedly throttled further in.

AM9

Veteran Member
The signalling installed for the 1949 electrification was basically LNER spec searchlights; they were the principal user of these, all around their system, and had been partially delivered before the war from the USA suppliers, who later franchised a British manufacturer. I don't remember them being approach-lit, unlike those installed by the LNER as distant signals on main lines in rural areas.

The LNER had little capital available for investment in the 1930s, but there was still a government tax on train tickets. This was cancelled, provided the difference was invested in capital projects, and the 1930s-design electrification scheme was a principal one.

The 1949 1,500v DC electrification was changed over to 6.25Kv AC in 1961. This embraced all the old DC line, right out to Southend, and also the new Enfield/Chingford etc electric lines as far as Cheshunt. Only beyond was initially proper 25Kv, and the second class only suburban units hardly ever worked on 25Kv. It was in the 1980s that these were progressively changed again to 25Kv throughout. The performance difference was notable on the Clacton electric units, whose acceleration was spectacular on the full voltage sections beyond Shenfield, but felt decidedly throttled further in.
The 306s did work the Chelmsford - Shenfield shuttle and have been known to exceed 80mph. I agree about the 309s shifting beyond the Shenfield 6.25/25kV chaneover point. The 9m 44ch Shenfield to Chelmsford start to stop in less than 8 minutes is impressive by current standards let alone the generally more relaxed performances of the '60s. Having said that, we were well aware of the speed, hitting the entry and exit points of the Ingatestone goods loop at a cool 100mph certainly required care holding a cup of coffee. That was with the 309s specially prepared wheelset in Commonwealth bogies part running on jointed track. There was one even faster train per day, the 1F78 17:40 which was a 12-car consist with 2x4 + 2×2 units giving a total of 4512 hp powering 543 tonnes.

PeterC

Established Member
When did the Chelmsford - Shenfield shuttle run? I have a 1970 London Country road and rail timetable that shows it but earlier and later BR timetables don't. It is the only time that I recall seeing a class 306 running as a single 3 car unit. I am not sure that otherwise I ever saw them as anything other than the full 3*3 formation.

delt1c

Established Member
Prior to rebuilding Liverpool St was effectively 2 vstations operating as 1. Remember reading about the history which was facinating

Status
Not open for further replies.