• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

This 125mph train is fitted with LASERS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicbury

An interesting article about Network Rail's New Measurement Train was published by The Register on Monday.

Mobile-friendly version here.

...The train is equipped with a Track Geometry System, laser track scanners, a high resolution video camera on the front complete with frame grabber, Unattended Geometry Measurement System, overhead line inspection systems, and the Plain Line Pattern Recognition (PLPR) system.

There is also a Radio Survey System which checks the coverage for the 950MHz GSM-R system used to communicate between train drivers and central control. Despite GSM-R being 2G and dating back more than a decade (the Ericsson R250S Pro, launched in 2000, was GSM-R compatible), the system only went live on the British rail network this year....
I haven't quoted the text as it goes over multiple pages.

Quite informative for those like me who don't know a lot about the railways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
An interesting article about Network Rail's New Measurement Train was published by The Register on Monday.

Mobile-friendly version here.

I haven't quoted the text as it goes over multiple pages.

Quite informative for those like me who don't know a lot about the railways.
Have they only just found out about this train? I seem to remember hearing about the laser track condition kit some time ago, maybe as far back as last year.

rebmcr

Established Member
Have they only just found out about this train? I seem to remember hearing about the laser track condition kit some time ago, maybe as far back as last year.

They have only just done an on-board photo tour.

Wyvern

Established Member
This 125mph train is fitted with LASERS.

So what?

British Rail has been using lasers for Track and Structures measurement for some fifty years.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
So what?

British Rail has been using lasers for Track and Structures measurement for some fifty years.

Considering the first laser was created in a lab in 1960, and the first practical use of them was in 1970 I don't think that's true somehow.

Ultrasonic inspection maybe, but not laser.

Wyvern

Established Member
The first lasers were tried out for measuring bridge deflections and also track alignment in around 1965-70

Ultrasound was being tried out at about the same time, also at the same time as it was being developed in hospitals for scans of he womb.

Last edited by a moderator:

AM9

Veteran Member
They have only just done an on-board photo tour.

I distinctly remember something about it several months ago, probably on TV. Maybe it was a report of the system before it was installed as a production design. Given how laser applications have been progressing, it is not that revolutionary anyway.

vicbury

The Register has a long-running gag about embellishing technical details, in parody of trash journalism. Particularly any connection to a hypothetical "sharks with lasers" superweapon.

I do love The Register!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.