• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"This is Euston" ... at Crewe !

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
Noticed something very, very odd at Crewe today.

A station announcer has started using the following form of words (I may paraphrase slightly):

"Platform 1 for the xxxx to Manchester Piccadilly. This is Manchester Piccadilly. Wilmslow, Stockport and Manchester Piccadilly."

I thought it was a one-off, but they did it at least three times while I was there.

"The xxxx for London Euston will now depart from Platform xx. This is London Euston. Calling at Milton Keynes."

Never heard that form of words used before and can't help feeling this could be very confusing if people just hear the "This is Manchester/ London" part.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dhassell

I can see his logic, clarifying where the train is going in case someone didn't hear it the first but, but at the same time I understand how it could get confusing.

6Gman

Established Member
I can see his logic, clarifying where the train is going in case someone didn't hear it the first but, but at the same time I understand how it could get confusing.

But why not "This is the London Euston train"? Rather than "This is London Euston", which it isn't!

snowball

Established Member
I always hate it in American films when someone receives a mysterious phone call and says "Who is this?" meaning "Who is that?"

Ibex

Yup, I know exactly who / what you mean. The bloke who's been there years & years and (no disrespect!) generally mumbles unintelligible waffle. Heard him do "Platform 6 London Euston this is Milton Keynes Central". o_O

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Yup, I know exactly who / what you mean. The bloke who's been there years & years and (no disrespect!) generally mumbles unintelligible waffle. Heard him do "Platform 6 London Euston this is Milton Keynes Central". o_O

Ah bless,, the announcer who has had a cold for 20 years and would be perfect for the old "tunes" advert :) Not a clue what he is saying half the time. Would love to know what how he got the job as announcer. Surely the only one at interview.

"Can you speak clearly?" "No"

"Congratulations you have the job."

Chris M

Would love to know what how he got the job as announcer. Surely the only one at interview.

"Can you speak clearly?" "No"

"Congratulations you have the job."
Russ Abbot did a sketch about exactly this, I think it would be the late 80s early 90s. I can't find a clip of it on youtube but there was a woman who interviewed before him who had perfect diction, etc. the interviewers said they'd let her know. Then Russ Abbot's character came in and did his interview. It was completely garbled and not a word was understandable. He got the job immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.