• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

This is what gets the current rail system a bad name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fokx

It should be part of their training before they sign any route.

Route training is done with the trainee being provided with training maps and having to find information out on their own but doesn’t include information on other services or operators.

Presumably because it would need constantly updating every 6 months with timetable changes and operators not wanting to tell staff to wait for out of habit for non-existent trains (not in this scenario but avoids fresh trainees waiting for a train that’s cancelled or ten minutes late etc)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mike57

Established Member
Very long rant over- good night.
I have not quoted your post in full, but the last paragraph pretty well sums up my opinion of the whole thing, whilst being 'within the rules' it wasn't the right thing to do given the circumstances. (Recovery time in York shuttle, lack of station facilities, easy view of connecting platform, very low and recoverable delay that would have been incurred, probably around 1 minute, hourly service to York so a long wait)

That is a good picture of Seamer, for those that dont know it that view is taken looking west, the Scarborough bound train is on the right hand track and approaches the camera, the York train is on the left hand platform and departs away from the camera. I was sat in the first carriage of the Scarborough around where the first station name board is. Morrisons, which is where the nearest facilities are is the building in the trees behind and to the right of the signal box, however walking route is unclear although google maps does identify the snicket.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
It’s sets its own rules, it can change them where it’s required or sensible to do so. Hopefully a more joined up rather than a cash penalty blame game approach will emerge… I won’t hold my breath!
I hope the customers concerned all had their full journey delay repay for being an hour late!

Yes there is a huge blame game and it's heavily driven by cold hard cash.

Would you be willing to give up delay repay if that money was invested instead to ensure a more robust and passenger friendly train service ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes there is a huge blame game and it's heavily driven by cold hard cash.

Would you be willing to give up delay repay if that money was invested instead to ensure a more robust and passenger friendly train service ?
Is there some reason why it has to be a binary either/or choice?

The suggestion appears to be that Delay Repay exists because the service is very unreliable and passenger unfriendly, and the false dichotomy is that we would need to give up Delay Repay entitlement if the service became more passenger friendly, but I see no basis for any of that.

island

Veteran Member
A few things to take away from the thread:
  • A blanket policy on when connections should and shouldn't be held and for how long is rarely if ever going to work
  • Rail staff often need to make judgement calls, and the standard for assessing those calls in retrospect should not be whether the call turned out to be right, but whether it was reasonable given all the information the staff member had to hand at that point in time.
  • We all have perfect 20:20 hindsight.
  • Giving good customer service to one passenger or set of passengers can be bad customer service to others.
I must say I am a little lost as to why some people feel abolishing DelayRepay to improve service performance makes much sense.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think we've had enough of a chance to air our views here and it's unlikely we'll ever find consensus (it'd be boring if we did!) so I think we'll call it here and thanks to all for your contributions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.