• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thornaby & Middlesbrough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ive tried!!!!!!!!!

Im not as good as everyone else!!!!!

Im trying and i know its not decent, but its my first attempt!!!!!!!!

1D53

Established Member
Think it would have been good with a bit more zoom to remove the excess platform, or try and edit the image after. A case in point would be http://jst.fotopic.net/p37063031.html - I had too much of the 'ledge' in the picture so trimmed the image to give it a unique look and fix the problem. The original photo was unusable with the ledge on.

After some prat decided to post over 20 comments on my fotopic, saying im a **** photographer, and that im talking a load of utter bolloks, and trying to find every possible fault i have stepped up the action, to dis-allow picture comments on my site.

If it was ANYONE on here, congratulations, youv'e ruined it for everyone.

And by the way, i dont have a decent camera, i try my best, and this is how people decide to tell me what my efforts are like.

I dont know why i even bother posting here.

devon_metro

Established Member
If trhe pictures are bad do you want us to post:

"Excellent photos!"

Because thats stupid. We are giving constructive critism.

Your'e reffering to on this forum, im not, im reffering to my fotopic.

Give the lad a break he is learning! We all had to learn from our mistakes! I was crap when i startedto photograph! Somenice shots there mate;)

Just like 60033 Tees Steel Express said, im LEARNING and we all LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES!

We were all crap when we started, just like i am!

devon_metro

Established Member
What is your point?

As i said we were giving constructive critism!

If i was told a photo had bad light
a)I wouldn't upload it
b)I would accept critism

Thats you. YOUR thoughts.

Not MINE! But i do understand that they arn't all decent, but for someone to post 20 plus comments basicaly saying they are **** on pictures that even YOU said were decent. its just not right.

Ive deleted some of the "crap" pictures aswell.

class 313

Established Member
Hey Hey guys, please give him a break lol! I can say i was crap when I started and in some photos i still am, but ive come a long way since april, yes april was when I started and now look at me. Getting photos in magazines. You just need time dude! and keep working at it!

1D53

Established Member
Don't be so down Elliott - you do need to take some constructive criticism though.

What I tend to do is take the photo's - and check the screen to see how its come out. If its not good then take another. Sometimes you only get one shot and if it aint good and cant be repaired then its binned. Only because you've taken the photo doesnt mean you have to upload it - unless it is something special of course. A case in point, one time photting last week I took over 40 photos, and once I'd fiddled and altered with them I uploaded 22. It is a learning curve learning lighting/posistioning etc, and I've only been at it since May but I'm still learning.

What camera do you have out of interest? Do you have any photo editing software?

Julian G

Established Member
Just like 60033 Tees Steel Express said, im LEARNING and we all LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES!

We were all crap when we started, just like i am!

Hi Elliot,

A bit of advice for you, don't let the bad criticism let you down.
and don't upload the bad ones. You might need to use Google Picasa to help you.
You might need to meet Yorkie one day. He is the one that helped me improve the photos.
Anyways keep up the good phots, good to see a variety from the North (like ---- Pacers)

When I started taking photos in Feb 2005 they were even worse than yours, and as i realised in Mid May 2005 that i kept using the wrong setting and then the pic turned out better and better. And then I met Yorkie on 2nd Sept 2005. And after that I used many different angles. and then my old TCM camera died. So In December 2005 I upgraded the camera and my photos kept improving.

Nice shots Elliot

Thanks.

I can take critisim, and i understand my pics arn't a work oof art, but i was more so upset over the fact that someone had spammed my fotopic website, saying im a **** photographer.

I know some of the pics are crap, and ive took your advice and deleted them.

Thanks again for all the comments, they were very helpful.

1D53

Established Member
I do think you could benefit from having some kind of photo editing software for your photos. Free software like Irfanview or Google Picasa can do a lot to improve photos.

Take http://www.elliottwaters4474.fotopic.net/p37234661.html for example.

I lightened it a bit and cut a bit of the excess platform at the bottom and it makes this:

p1010019alteredfs8.jpg

Which (In my opinion at least) is a better shot.

I also think that sometimes a small photo doesn't always show the best of a scene etc. Is there any way you can take larger photos/make Fotopic show them bigger?

(Hope you dont mind me doctoring your photo!)

devon_metro

Established Member
Very nice. I actually like that shot. It is different and it's nice to see the platform blurred. The average low quality camera would focus on the platform and blur the train.

Also planning where you are going is userful. Say if you want to see 37405 (<D) and it passes a station at 15:01 make sure you have good sun positioning. It's a shame to see photos taken directly into the sun.

rmt

Elliott, I was just the same with some of my early photos, but persevere and you'll get there in the end. Do not be afraid to experiment with your shots, and keep trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.