• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thornbury

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerroar

On Moderation
Given that Bristol is supposed to have pretty bad congestion problems and that there is a freight line that goes almost all the way to Thornbury, why is it never mentioned in any Bristol related "metro" schemes?

Surely a fairly large town like that would benefit from a rail connection?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scandal

The priority at the moment is for metro services to Yate, once these are established I believe Thornbury is planned as a future extension of services.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Would make a lot more sense than turning at Yate, an idea i thought was good myself!

Tiny Tim

The (presently freight only) line from Yate to Tytherington (well, nearly Thornbury) doesn't seem to pass through particularly well populated country.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I don't think you could get it into Thornbury itself anymore, isnt the station built on and the line currently ends on the A38 ? So unless you made it a Parkway outside the town it seems unlikely.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
It was looked at by ATOC , - no business case unfortunately - see the Connecting Communities report which evaluated it a cost of £17m with a BCR of 0.4 (way below expectations even if fudning was there)

In any case , the "interface" towards the town is tricky and the station site "lost" as in so many other places.

MarkyT

Established Member
It was looked at by ATOC , - no business case unfortunately - see the Connecting Communities report which evaluated it a cost of £17m with a BCR of 0.4 (way below expectations even if fudning was there)

In any case , the "interface" towards the town is tricky and the station site "lost" as in so many other places.

Here's my suggestion . . .

http://www.townend.me/files/thornbury.jpg

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Very good work - one to hold onto for the future. Sort of thing that the new LEP's might take an interest in (Local Enterprise Partnership) - the Bristol regional one seems to be quite pro-active.

Status
Not open for further replies.