• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thornhill Electrification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I was down at Cample near Thornhill on the Glasgow South Western Line this morning. I noticed at the viaduct in Cample there was a lot of engineering work going on, I also noticed a van that said 'rail electrification'. Is the Glasgow South Western Line being electrified or is this just some regular engineering works?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
I was down at Cample near Thornhill on the Glasgow South Western Line this morning. I noticed at the viaduct in Cample there was a lot of engineering work going on, I also noticed a van that said 'rail electrification'. Is the Glasgow South Western Line being electrified or is this just some regular engineering works?

Yes, but not now and not there any time soon. It'll be either workers with the required skill set, or delivery of equipment needed for the engineering works.

Kilmarnock/Barrhead and East Kilbride should be in the CP6-CP7 (2019-2029) funding package from Transport Scotland, maybe to include infill between Barassie Junction and Kilmarnock for diversionary purposes.

There's nothing planned or on the horizon for Ayr to Stranraer or from Kilmarnock south to Gretna, though Kilmarnock to Gretna remains an aspiration to provide an electric diversionary route to Glasgow Central from the WCML, but could be overtaken by HS2 to Scotland provision.

Status
Not open for further replies.