• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thornton Heath Station - new platform fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slough

Does anyone know the reason why there is no access to the toilets or platform 3 now at Thornton Heath station . There is now a metal fence running all the way along the platform preventing access to it and the toilets as well . This station is used for Crystal Palace FC and has considerable traffic on match days .

Platform 3 is the fast line to Brighton and the South Coast , Platform 4 is still open to passengers and is the fast line into London . Whilst these platforms are hardly ever used I fail to understand why they have closed access to the toilets and left platform 4 open .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Slough

This is the fence

Attachments

• theath.jpg
    theath.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 67
  • theath1.jpg
    theath1.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 57

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I should imagine it is part of an initiative to help reduce the amount of suicides by people jumping infront of fast trains?

TP

pendolino

The fence is to help prevent suicides. Also going up at Selhurst, Streatham Common and Norbury.

There have been suicides at Norbury and Streatham Common in recent months.

Slough

The fence is to help prevent suicides. Also going up at Selhurst, Streatham Common and Norbury.

There have been suicides at Norbury and Streatham Common in recent months.

If its to stop suicides why have they left platform 4 open at Thornton Heath ?
And I hope your joking about it going up at selhurst , we have had to suffer with station platform rebuilding at selhurst for about 12 months.
Also all 4 platforms at selhurst are used after matches this would be madness having a fence across them

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I should imagine platform 4 will be closed in due course.

TP

pendolino

And I hope your joking about it going up at selhurst , we have had to suffer with station platform rebuilding at selhurst for about 12 months.
Also all 4 platforms at selhurst are used after matches this would be madness having a fence across them

I imagine access at platform 4 at Thornton Heath can be (or will be) restricted (as I believe is the case at Streatham Common on the up fast). There are sliding gates in the fences that can be opened when the fast platforms are in use. Same fences are in place at Purley and Purley Oaks, have been for years.

Sorry you find it all such a pain, I'll tell my colleagues who have killed people at these locations to just man up a bit, shall I? Then we won't need fences.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

There are gates which can be opened on them you know... Similar exist already at Purley and Purley Oaks. Harrow & Wealdstone is another I can think of.

Is platform 4 accessible? NRE doesn't seem to think so - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/TTH/plan.html

Slough

There are gates which can be opened on them you know... Similar exist already at Purley and Purley Oaks. Harrow & Wealdstone is another I can think of.

Is platform 4 accessible? NRE doesn't seem to think so - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/TTH/plan.html

Yeah platform 4 has steps down to it , I was standing next to them whilst taking the photo from the above walkway. With reference to the other stations I dont know the amount of people that go through those stations . Thornton Heath has the potential to have 2,000 - 5,000 people on that platform I think it's madness to consider putting a fence up . If people are insistent on committing suicide they could just jump from the open walkway down onto the fast train line . Or walk down the end of the platform across the tracks in front of the fast trains.

thanks for the replies

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Yeah platform 4 has steps down to it , I was standing next to them whilst taking the photo from the above walkway

Accessible though? There was no gating anywhere to block it if need be? I know at Purley Oaks the platform itself itn't fenced off, the entrance is closed though.

I think it's a sensible idea myself. If it does even something to avert one potential fatality then it must be a good thing, no matter the cost.

pendolino

Thornton Heath has the potential to have 2,000 - 5,000 people on that platform I think it's madness to consider putting a fence up

Do you really think that wasn't taken into account when the decision was made to erect these fences? Have you ever been to South Bermondsey when Millwall are at home?

Slough

No , I could have walked down onto the platform . there is no access to the trains because none stop .

Not sure how this would work at Selhurst putting a fence across the same platforms as there is train to Eastbourne that uses platform 3 and the fast trains back to London on platform 4 . Selhurst now has nice wide open platforms with lots of room to stand and wait for the trains after the game . I really hope they don't ruin it by putting a fence across
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do you really think that wasn't taken into account when the decision was made to erect these fences? Have you ever been to South Bermondsey when Millwall are at home?

http://cpfc.org/g2/v/train/
I don't think southern railway has a high regard for its passenger safety , have a look at those pictures of selhurst station . It was like that for 4 months . Trying to get a train after a match was incredibly dangerous and I was surprised there was not a fatality

Being a palace fan I'm happy to say I dont have the pleasure of visiting that dump other than once a season

Last edited:

pendolino

No , I could have walked down onto the platform . there is no access to the trains because none stop .

You do realise the work isn't yet complete?

Not sure how this would work at Selhurst putting a fence across the same platforms as there is train to Eastbourne that uses platform 3 and the fast trains back to London on platform 4 . Selhurst now has nice wide open platforms with lots of room to stand and wait for the trains after the game . I really hope they don't ruin it by putting a fence across

Did you miss the bit where you were told (twice) that there are sliding gates in the fences?

Being a palace fan I'm happy to say I dont have the pleasure of visiting that dump other than once a season

I'll explain then: crowds are held at the station entrance if the platforms become overcrowded. Now, can you extrapolate that information to guess what might happen at Thornton Heath/Selhurst on match days?

Slough

You do realise the work isn't yet complete?

Did you miss the bit where you were told (twice) that there are sliding gates in the fences?

I'll explain then: crowds are held at the station entrance if the platforms become overcrowded. Now, can you extrapolate that information to guess what might happen at Thornton Heath/Selhurst on match days?

Did you miss the photos I posted of selhurst ? The crowds weren't held back then . Thousands of fans crowded together on the platforms after games

pendolino

Did you miss the photos I posted of selhurst ? The crowds weren't held back then . Thousands of fans crowded together on the platforms after games

You mean the photos you posted when you edited? Was there a fatality? I don't remember there being one. Go to Norwood Jct, Selhurst, anywhere on a match day and there will be huge crowds on the platforms. But the crowds can be managed if the need arises, given the police presence. As at South Bermondsey.

Slough

This is going off topic , the police manage the crowds by building great big metal walls at palace games and diverting people to stations . This is a subject of a complaints procedure already . I don't think a metal fence helps the flow of paying customers and I also think it causes more safety problems than it cures .
You obviously disagree so let's agree to disagree

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You mean the photos you posted when you edited? Was there a fatality? I don't remember there being one. Go to Norwood Jct, Selhurst, anywhere on a match day and there will be huge crowds on the platforms. But the crowds can be managed if the need arises, given the police presence. As at South Bermondsey.

Indeed. I can remember being held outside Norwood Junction between the clocktower and the station when Charlton visited one evening. There was also the OTT crowd control when Brighton visited last season.

pendolino

There was also the OTT crowd control when Brighton visited last season.

I remember that, that was only time I've had to tiptoe my way through horse poo to relieve a train. It may have been OTT with hindsight, but the police have to plan for the worst-case scenario, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.