• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thornton-Leven Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam

Established Member
I went for a walk today and ended up crossing the Leven Railway here. I noticed the ballast and track was new, and to the East a new siding was being put in. The track up to the junction with the main line is still a little overgrown. Possible freight use? there is a huge opencast coal mine to the south of the River Ore, but a new bridge would be required as the only crossing is an old 300-odd year old bridge.

I will go back in a couple of day if the weather is ok and take some photos.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
I went for a walk today and ended up crossing the Leven Railway here. I noticed the ballast and track was new, and to the East a new siding was being put in. The track up to the junction with the main line is still a little overgrown. Possible freight use? there is a huge opencast coal mine to the south of the River Ore, but a new bridge would be required as the only crossing is an old 300-odd year old bridge.

I will go back in a couple of day if the weather is ok and take some photos.

Interesting to follow the route on Google maps. The railway engineers followed the old Fife road tradition of avoiding a straight line whenever they could if there was the option of following the edge of a field.

At the Leven Power Station end there's a bit of an eclectic looking train...

http://goo.gl/maps/r12c

Chris125

Established Member
Apparently Diageo were in talks with NR about reopening the branch from the mainline for freight use, perhaps they've born fruit?

Chris

Liam

Established Member
Apparently Diageo were in talks with NR about reopening the branch from the mainline for freight use, perhaps they've born fruit?

Chris

It's miles away from either Diageo plant at Leven/Cameron Bridge, with no road connection.

It's a new coal terminal known as Earl's Seat.

Thanks, away to do some digging, see if I can find anything else.

adewar

Interesting to follow the route on Google maps. The railway engineers followed the old Fife road tradition of avoiding a straight line whenever they could if there was the option of following the edge of a field.

At the Leven Power Station end there's a bit of an eclectic looking train...

http://goo.gl/maps/r12c

I think it may be stock from the Kingdom of Fife Railway preservation society, their main site is the former Kirkland Yard, which they reopened in 2002.

http://www.btinternet.com/~ijross/

Hope this helps

Alastair

Scotrail84

Established Member
Just seen a tamper sitting at the head of the branch as I passed on a turbo, think it was shut down though.

Derry

Yes it's new branch with a cripple wagons sidings and a rounding road..

Status
Not open for further replies.