• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[thought] Routes over 50miles in BVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Am I right in thinking the main reason we don't have routes of more than 50miles in BVE is the sheer amount of time needed to create the lines and them to subsequently load on BVE being the problem, or would a 100 mile route be perfectly fine on BVE, just no-one has come forth to build the damn thing? (how long is anthonys wcml come to think of it?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
The loading time is mainly to do with the detail ina route - not it's length.

Dennis

Established Member
Creating long fictional routes which load and run well is not a problem providing compromises are made regarding the number of different 'objects' and that the amount of detail is restricted (not really an issue where high speed running is occurring). A classic example of this type of route would be Hammerwich - great to drive but scenically not terribly inteeresting.

At the other extreme would be BNS in Cross City - looks stunning with a huge number of detailed objects but which runs at relatively slow framerates.

As the power and speed of computers increase, the need to compromise on quality (detail) diminishes. This is great, but the downside is that the demands for more realistic routes will increase coding time, a factor which I feel restricts the development of long non-fictional routes (and which if I remember correctly, came out top in a recent poll regarding what type of routes are most popular).

eezypeazy

The length of time it takes to build a non-fictional route must be proportional to the length of the route itself and the level of detail required. For example, my Aln Valley route is three miles long, has two stations, fields, bridges and an industrial estate, and took me, from the day of my visit to gather information to the day I released it, seven weeks to build. But, I already had many objects I could use from my Tyne Valley Route, which, on the other hand, at about 65 miles long, will probably take about 20 months of spare time from start to finish (and thats without AWS); and, after that, I'll need to rebuild the bits I'm no longer satisfied with...!!!

The other problem with routes of great length is the amount of time it takes to drive correctly (Edinburgh - Aberdeen about 2hrs 45mins; even Hexham to Heworth, at about 26 miles, is just short of an hour). So, in my opinion, as a game, it's good to have a mixture of shorter, satisfying routes, and longer, demanding ones....

eezypeazy

The Snap

Established Member
I don't like long routes, as I rarelyt get enough time to actually drive them without being interupted by something! :? But, don't let this discourage people! ;)

ikar

Rich said:
I don't like long routes, as I rarelyt get enough time to actually drive them without being interupted by something! :? But, don't let this discourage people! ;)

Have you ever tried a half duty on the circle line.

Status
Not open for further replies.