• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Three and out

Status
Not open for further replies.

driver9000

Established Member
Not sure if this is the correct section for this, please move it to a more suitable location if not....

Have just seen a trailer for a film titled '3 and out'

It is set on the London Underground and the story follows a driver who has 2 fatalities in a single month! A couple of other drivers inform him that if he has a 3rd fatality he will get paid off with a massive lumpsum (10yrs salary I think it was). This sets the main character off on a mission to find someone willing to be his 3rd 'victim' and go under the wheels of his train.

As a train driver I find the subject matter a little too close to home for my liking and the fact that this film is being billed as a 'comedy' shows little regard for drivers who have been involved in these horrific incidents and almost treating it as a joke is surely going to show the industry in a poor light and do nothing to help any driver who has been through this kind of thing.

The other thing that suprised me was that the characters were wearing genuine looking LUL uniforms and it was filmed on the Underground - appeared to be the Northern line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

P156KWJ

Established Member
Not sure if this is the correct section for this, please move it to a more suitable location if not....

Have just seen a trailer for a film titled '3 and out'

It is set on the London Underground and the story follows a driver who has 2 fatalities in a single month! A couple of other drivers inform him that if he has a 3rd fatality he will get paid off with a massive lumpsum (10yrs salary I think it was). This sets the main character off on a mission to find someone willing to be his 3rd 'victim' and go under the wheels of his train.

As a train driver I find the subject matter a little too close to home for my liking and the fact that this film is being billed as a 'comedy' shows little regard for drivers who have been involved in these horrific incidents and almost treating it as a joke is surely going to show the industry in a poor light and do nothing to help any driver who has been through this kind of thing.

The other thing that suprised me was that the characters were wearing genuine looking LUL uniforms and it was filmed on the Underground - appeared to be the Northern line.

so it's coming out in cinemas? what certificate is it do you know? does sound a bit shallow in not thinking about the pshycological difficulties drivers go through. there was one on the programme called 'the tube' where there was one at south wimbledon, the poor woman wouldn't go in the cab ever again!

O L Leigh

Established Member
ASLEF were a bit brassed off about this and complained to LUL about them allowing the production company to make this film on their premises. I shall certainly not be tripping down the cinema to see this.

Seems that no area in life (and death, for that matter) is so sacred that someone can't come along and make a film about it. Suicide really is no laughing matter.

O L Leigh

me123

Established Member
I personally think that making it into a film is a good idea, but a comedy? More like a tragedy! It could bring to life the harsh realities of this type of suicide and allow an audience to appreciate how difficult it is for a driver in the situation, but as you've all said, it's no laughing matter and should not be made into a comedy.

DavyCrocket

LUL did it as its obviously money! We got some free cinema tickets as our aircon is broken (why they cant get it working instead I don't know!) and might use them to see it.
They even had their name badges on :)

Its not true obviously, will the punters get that? Probably.

After all there are many films/TV programmes about mad doctors or coppers that go round bumping people off.

Nym

Established Member
indeedy, the amount of times I've seen ones about the military being treated as a comedy, and PTSD etc from that for payoffs, life insurance fraud etc...

It's national certificate rating is 15.

It stars Mackenzie Crook.

I will see it, but my opinion is not yet made.

My heart goes out to the drivers.

ASLEF intend to make an appearance at the premiere with leaflets saying things along the line of "We hope you have enjoyed the film but in real life suicides arn't funny".

It would be nice to see an awareness message somewhere during the screening, but I doubt this will happen.

I would also like the see a percentage of the profits, even a minimal percentage, go toward The Samaritans or ASLEF, but the likelyness of this is the likelyness of an HST doing the Circle Line, right?

It had the Samaritans approval apparently.

christopher

You mean a HST ain't been on the circle line , God whats everyone been doing.:D

I think this films just stupid it would be better if it weren't classified as humor for a start.

Gavelex

I know someone who has seen the trailer, and one shot of the 'driver' in the cab while the train is moving is on the instructors side, and another is on the drivers side, but the train is stationary!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think the ASLEF note should say "British train drivers" rather than just "London Underground Drivers"

Crompton Karl

By the way, did any of you notice the full page advert for 3 and out on the back iof the latest issue of "RAIL" magazine? I know they are a company and in it to make money, but i find it pretty disgusting that a magazine that constantly campaigns for anti tresspass issues and other such problems affecting a modern railway system then cuts and runs when it gets offered money to run an advert making fun of issues it is reporting.

Karl :)

driver9000

Established Member
the whole thing surrounding this film stinks in my opinion, although Ive not had misfortune be involved in a fatality I have experienced several near-misses and they upset you too. I think the letter that ASLEF put out was written by LUL council and not as being from the whole industry thats why it says London Underground drivers and not British train drivers - after all it is set on LUL. Although a national mention probably wouldnt have gone amiss.

Aparently at the premier the other evening, Mackenzie Crook was being interviewed when a protester shouted something like "is dying under a train funny?" and Mackenzie replied "Have you seen the movie - then you dont know whats its about" pretty dumb defence when its blatantly obvious what its about!

P156KWJ

Established Member
I will go to see it - and see what it's like. I'm hoping people have enough sanity to know that going out to find someone to die under your train is very very wrong.

I saw the film on it's release date last night.

I beleive people (including ASLEF) should give it a chance.

It's quite moving, and they don't really make any funny stuff about suicides.

There are a few funny parts, but extract about 10 minutes of the laughable material and you've got yourself a non-comedy.

ASLEF went around saying "People who watch the film may think that the Three and Out rule is real". It mentions in the film that it's not.

It's quite sad and only a small percentage of it is set in the tube.

metrocammel

At the end of the day, it's a film!

Films are generally not realistic, and are there to entertain people. Fair enough, this could be a sore area, especially if you happen to be a driver who has encountered a 'one under', or if your relatives have resorted to throwing themselves under a train. But, unfortunately, films can't satisfy everyone.

I shall be seeing this film, and will then be able to judge if it's any good or not, however, from looking at the information I've heard so far, I think there has been a little bit of over-reacting.

Everyone will have forgotten about it in a couple of weeks anyway.

Snapper

Established Member
By the way, did any of you notice the full page advert for 3 and out on the back iof the latest issue of "RAIL" magazine? I know they are a company and in it to make money, but i find it pretty disgusting that a magazine that constantly campaigns for anti tresspass issues and other such problems affecting a modern railway system then cuts and runs when it gets offered money to run an advert making fun of issues it is reporting.

Why? Who trespassed during the making of the film?

Crompton Karl

This post contains information about the film plot, beware if you plan to watch it!

Hi Paul,

That was not the point I was making, of course no one tresspassed during the making of the film, as it was filmed with the help of the LU, i will try to explain my point better.

My point was "Rail" actively campaigns against many things that show the Railway in a bad light or campaigns against things like photo shoots for magazines glorifying Tresspass. As a guide i refer to that shoot for a national newspaper on a disused railway line where the models were pictured modeling clothes while standing on the track. This was reported by the editor on the inside of the back page, i believe they were there with permission of the railway, therefore not tresspassing, however, they were glorifying the idea.

In my opinion this movie justifies and in someways glorifies the ideal of commiting suicide under the wheels of a train, one of the Final images of the movie is seeing the protagonist Tommy Cassidy walk across the tracks, walk towards the Train and finally the camera fades as Tommy gets run over by the train. "Rail" had the opportunity to say NO we wont accept the money to advertise this movie because of the principle of the matter, instead i found it quite discusting to see them take the money and advertise the movie on the back cover. In my opinion a big error of judgement.

Of course this is my opinion, i am an avid reader of "Rail" and also have watched the Movie to see if ASLEF and the LU were justified in its critisisim. The movie was advertised as a comedy, but i really did not see many funny bits, actually i found the driver was portrayed by Mckensie Crook as a very traumatised man in most scenes. But there are parts of the movie i found repulsive.

The driver looking for his 3rd One under, i'm sorry but as the son of a train driver who has had a one under, i saw how traumatic it can be, i do not believe any Human would look to see someone jump under their train on purpose even for that ammount of money.

Secondly, once the Driver and Tommy had become friends, for him to pull back the power controller and actually from a standing start drive his train over his friend, even if his friend has asked him to do this was again beyond the relms of belief and quite inapropriate.

In my opinion Rail had the opportunity to stand up for it's editorial Beliefs, instead it opted for the money, its a shame really.

Hope i clarified my opinion better there.

All the best

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Karl, careful what you post as well,
I think you should have put a warning saying 'This is a scene from the film' or something as I havent seen it yet and its spoilt :( not baning on at you, im just saying that all : )

Crompton Karl

Really Sorry my friend, didn't intend to spoil it for you. Can anyone with Moderator status put a spoiler warning in the Title of this post?

Again Apologies for that.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Im sure it will be on sky sometime so I may give it a look in but im not in any hurry.

McKenzie Crook when he did an interview in the Metro quoted of driving trains that all it involved was rules and regulations and starting and stopping of the train.

Really shows how much he knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.