• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Three Bridges to Cuxton & Hollingbourne to Three Bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weary Walker

I wish to do this journey on Sunday 12-June.
Leaving Three Bridges @ 9:30am
Reaching Cuxton @ Noon
Departing Hollingbourne @ 6-7pm

I have a network card.

Pushing the journey planners around a bit I have reached:
Route Three Bridges - Redhill - Tonbridge - Paddock Wood - Cuxton
(Goes via Maidstone Barracks)
Returning Hollingbourne - Maidstone East, walk to Maidstone Barracks then reverse of above.

Tickets:
Three Bridges to Hollingbourne return £11:15
(Via Tonbridge & Maidstone Barracks)
Single Maidstone Barracks to Cuxton £2.80

At least I think that is valid had to add via and not via into Southern journey planner, couldn't get it at all on National Rail.

Have I got this right or have I missed something?
(I did try using the routing guide - think it looked ok but not confident either)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
My local knowledge says it should be ok. I'll check the routeing guide and come back shortly.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, that's valid. The ticket is routed "Not London". It's a little tortuous, but you might be able to go Three Bridges -> East Croydon/Norwood Junction -> New Cross Gate (walk) New Cross -> Lewisham -> Strood -> Cuxton. You need to split the journey in two to get the journey planner to give it to you (either side of the walk which you should allow 10 minutes for). Hollingbourne is associated with two routeing points: Ashford Intl and Maidstone Group. Valid routes between Three Bridges and Maidstone group include those via London. New Cross Gate to New Cross is a valid interchange for a ticket routed "Not London". Valid routes from London to Maidstone include passing through New Cross and Cuxton. Therefore you should be able to avoid the extra single fare.

sonic2009

Established Member
Also you could pay £2.00 cash single fare or £1.20 if you have oyster, and catch the tram from East Croydon to Beckenham Junction

Weary Walker

Interesting options.
But splitting in London (Penge or New Cross) forces me to return the same way, which makes for a longer journey back and the combined tickets cost more than my current plan.
Or have I misunderstood?

Either way thank you for confirming my proposed route as valid

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No, there is no requirement to use the same route on each journey. As long as you avoid London and use permitted routes according to the routeing guide then you will be fine.

You may find that your original plan is the quickest and if that suits you best then your suggested ticket scenario is valid. You could only travel beyond Maidstone Barracks towards Cuxton on your main ticket as part of the return journey, so you would need the extra ticket in that instance.

Class 466

Established Member
I wish to do this journey on Sunday 12-June.
Leaving Three Bridges @ 9:30am
Reaching Cuxton @ Noon
Departing Hollingbourne @ 6-7pm

I have a network card.

Pushing the journey planners around a bit I have reached:

Route Three Bridges - Redhill - Tonbridge - Paddock Wood - Cuxton
(Goes via Maidstone Barracks)
Returning Hollingbourne - Maidstone East, walk to Maidstone Barracks then reverse of above.

Tickets:
Three Bridges to Hollingbourne return £11:15
(Via Tonbridge & Maidstone Barracks)
Single Maidstone Barracks to Cuxton £2.80

At least I think that is valid had to add via and not via into Southern journey planner, couldn't get it at all on National Rail.

Have I got this right or have I missed something?
(I did try using the routing guide - think it looked ok but not confident either)

Just to let you know, a Direct service is operated between Tonbridge and strood via cuxton to avoid an extra change, they depart at 3 minutes past the hour from Tonbridge platform 1 and arrive at cuxton at 50 minutes past that hour :)

Just to let you know, a Direct service is operated between Tonbridge and strood via cuxton to avoid an extra change, they depart at 3 minutes past the hour from Tonbridge platform 1 and arrive at cuxton at 50 minutes past that hour :)

Oops sorry didnt see it was a sunday :)

Oops sorry didnt see it was a sunday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.