• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Three Bridges to Woking and return, stopping on way at Twickenham or Hounslow

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Wake

Good morning all

I’ve got a possible journey to make on Sunday which is essential work related.

I will need to travel from Three Bridges to Hounslow or Twickenham for an outward journey.

Then travel home from Woking to Three Bridges probably via Guildford and Reigate.

Would a 26-30 railcard discounted Three Bridges to Woking off peak day return not via London be valid to do this, and to stop short at Hounslow or Twickenham?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nunners

It's valid if the ticket is valid via Hounslow or Twickenham. The route from Woking back to Three Bridges is the shortest journey and so automatically valid.
In the routeing guide, Three Bridges to Woking has LONDON as a code, so as WV+WX is a route from London to Woking, to Twickenham would be a valid route on an Any Permitted ticket.
I THINK you are still allowed to use those maps on a not via London ticket (as long as you don't go into London - changing at Clapham Junction would be best). You might want to check with someone else.
It is a reasonable route IMO, so I wouldn't expect any trouble from going that way.
As always, if you can get a journey planner to give you that journey, it's valid.

James Wake

Turns out now I’ll be breaking at Clapham Junction then resuming from Woking in the evening as planned. So I’ll use a Not Via London ticket and not go into London Terminals

JB_B

Established Member
.. I THINK you are still allowed to use those maps on a not via London ticket (as long as you don't go into London - changing at Clapham Junction would be best). You might want to check with someone else. ..
Yes, that's the tricky question : "can you use a route:Not London ticket to trace a route (avoiding London Group itself, of course) on a combination of the to-LONDON and from-LONDON maps ?"

It's been discussed before - I think most recently here:-

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/trainsplit-v2.149312/post-3114406

I get the impression that the consensus answer (amongst people wiser than me) was either -

"No."; or
"No, except where there only yellow pages entry is LONDON"

I'm still not completely sure that's correct - certainly that interpretation rules out some perfectly reasonable routes - including the one that the OP wanted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.