• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Three day Travelcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainBoy98

I was just wondering whether there was a ticket that you could get for three day in London with zones 1-9 travelcard (eg, going on a tuesday, staying there on wednesday and returning on thursday?) and if so, how much it would cost for a child and adult with a family travelcard?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Peak or Off-Peak? (I'm guessing the former if this is related to your Tube challenge). Also how old is/(are) the child(ren)?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
[quoteHolders of the following can buy a Zones 1-9 Off-Peak Day Travelcard after 10:00 for just £2 each for up to four children travelling with them:
Family and Friends Railcard [/quote]

A 7 day season is £9.80 for 11-15 and £19.60 for an adult. (Peak)

There are no three day travelcards that I can see on the TfL website so I'm afraid you'll probably need to buy three one-day ones

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There are no "outboundary" (i.e. from stations outside the London Zones) Travelcards valid for more than one day, except for Seasons. You'll be best off with appropriate tickets for travel to/from London and using Day Travelcards or Oyster PAYG within London.

Ivo

Established Member
Three Day Travelcards do exist but they can only be purchased with an origin of a station in Zones 1-6. As SS4 and LexyBoy say you would need an alternative arrangement to work around this.

Harlesden

I think 3-day TravelCards disappeared due to lack of demand solely because they were priced at the same rate as 3 x 1-day TravelCards. There was no benefit to having one aside from buying one ticket instead of three

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Three-Day Travelcards can no longer be bought. They are only available for certain warrant exchanges.

RJ

Established Member
You can buy them from Groundline. I've also identified certain TVMs within London that sell them, that probably aren't supposed to....!

island

Veteran Member
Three Day Travelcards do exist but they can only be purchased with an origin of a station in Zones 1-6. As SS4 and LexyBoy say you would need an alternative arrangement to work around this.

That's not correct. They can only be obtained in return for a specific warrant (or from malfunctioning TVMs, apparently) and are not supposed to be sold otherwise. They will apparently be definitively removed from sale from NFM14.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There's a few around at some of TfL's overseas agents - again only when they have stock left from when they were generally withdrawn some years ago. I couldn't tell you where has them, I've just seen the internal publicity about accepting them.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It was the Jan 2010 fares review that did away with them, part of the reasoning was the start of PAYG (and capping) on National Rail, that removed the perceived advantage of paper travelcards.

Explained in section 1.8 of this:

http://legacy.london.gov.uk/mayor/mayor-decisions/docs/20091015-md457-fares-2010.pdf

Thanks. Which suggests they were about £1.50 less than the 3 paper equivalent travelcards (as they're described as being about the same price as 3 PAYG caps in 2009).

barrykas

Established Member
Current prices are exactly the same as three One Day Travelcards. Only available in Zones 1-2 Peak, Zones 1-6 Off-Peak and Zones 1-6 Peak, and only in exchange for Groundline warrants, though a TIS won't stop you from selling them.

Cheers,

Barry

TrainBoy98

soory, didnt give enough info but im guessing, as i live in worthing, that it would just be easier to buy 3 one day travel cards to london (inc. zones 1-9 as needed for Tube Challenge)

island

Veteran Member
soory, didnt give enough info but im guessing, as i live in worthing, that it would just be easier to buy 3 one day travel cards to london (inc. zones 1-9 as needed for Tube Challenge)

I don't know if you can get a ticket from Worthing to London valid in zones 1-9.

TrainBoy98

might just be easier to buy tickets to london and back from worthing and 3 one day zones 1-9 in london then...

causton

Established Member
Let's see:

Day 1:
Worthing - London Terminals SDR £27 adult £13.50 child
OR Worthing - Boundary Zone 6 £21.20 adult £10.60 child
Z1-9 Travelcard (buy from Bushey if buying online or from a NR ticket office) £19.60 adult £9.80 child

Day 2:
Z1-9 Travelcard £19.60 adult £9.80 child

Day 3:
Z1-9 Travelcard £19.60 adult £9.80 child
Boundary Zone 6 - Worthing £20.40 adult £10.20 child
OR London Terminals - Worthing £25.50 adult £12.75 child

As you can see buying from Boundary Zone 6 will make things cheaper although you will need to go to a booking office to get them.
Also if you are arriving in London on Day 1 off-peak and leaving on Day 3 off-peak you could get an Off-Peak Return (SVR) to use instead of 2 singles, saving more money :)

Status
Not open for further replies.