• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Three-Letter CRS Station Codes: When were they defined?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently been wondering when station codes were defined & have noticed some oddities which could be of interest, for example:

• Eltham is [ELW]. This appears to refer to the old Eltham Well Hall station. Eltham was rebuilt as a single station in 1985.
  • There is a code for Belfast Central, but not Belfast Great Victoria Street. GVS closed in 1976 & reopened in 1995.
  • (South) Woodham Ferrers is [SOF]. The lack of a W in the new code suggests the W was tackily replaced with an S.
  • Ashford (Middlesex/Surrey), the Derry~Londonderry of the southeast, is [AFS], suggesting it is from after the 1970s admin county reforms.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
They are interesting things.

I suspect the codes are only ever changed when it is absolutely necessary to do so (e.g. a total renaming), given how ingrained they are within the industry and its systems, and I suspect the massive bill that would come with having to change them in terms of IT and publications etc - see HPQ surviving for Harwich International, and BSV for Buckshaw Parkway, changed at the last minute from its working title of Buckshaw Village.

Eltham I suspect was a case of just rolling over one of the old codes into a new location (see also ALE working in some systems for Liverpool South Parkway (it replaced Allerton) and Abercynon assuming Abercynon South's ACY).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/crs/CRS0.shtm
CRS codes are one way of identifying places, usually stations (though some junctions and depots have codes). The system began operation in 1979, initially for Sealink, soon extending to East Coast stations. It was created to enable the booking of seat reservations by (station-based) computers, though by the late 1980s travel centres also had access and the system was extended to track passengers requiring travel assistance.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
The current CRS may date from 1979 but at least some of the codes it uses pre-date that time. My interest in railways started about 1975 and I quickly got used to some of the codes being visible on such things as newspaper bundles, Red Star Parcels, etc.

backontrack

Established Member
The code for Kirkby Stephen on the Settle & Carlisle Line is KSW. This refers to Kirkby Stephen West, the name of the station while the Stainmore Line (with a station at Kirkby Stephen East) was still open. Kirkby Stephen West was closed in 1970 and was reopened in 1986.

EM2

Established Member
I've often wondered why Ebbsfleet is EBD, when EBS or EBF isn't used for another station. Was it supposed to be Ebbsfleet Dartford at some time?

najaB

Veteran Member
There is a code for Belfast Central, but not Belfast Great Victoria Street. GVS closed in 1976 & reopened in 1995.
I think that's because fares to Belfast are defined to Belfast Central (or Belfast Port) but not to Great Victoria Street. Other destinations in NI (and the Republic) have CRS codes defined (e.g. LDR for Derry/Londonderry).

Lemmy99uk

I always thought that a Midland man with a twisted sense of humour had given Leamington Spa the code LMS.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Hayes & Harlington in Middlesex has the code HAY.

If Hay-on-Wye station in Herefordshire remained open today, would HAY have been allocated to that, with Hayes & Harlington allocated something like HHN?

I wouldn't say so, you would just find something else to fit Hay on Wye. If nothing can be made from it, I suspect you would just add filler like they had to do for Stow (SOI) and Baglan (BAJ). Plenty of stations take the first three letters of a name when it could apply to many others - see BAN for Banbury, when you also have Bangor, Bank Hall, Banstead etc.

tsr

Established Member
I do wonder why Anerley is “ANZ”. “Z” in a code usually denotes a station which has Tube-related history. Farringdon, for example, is “ZFD”.

37 418

I do wonder why Anerley is “ANZ”. “Z” in a code usually denotes a station which has Tube-related history. Farringdon, for example, is “ZFD”.
Z is only Underground related if it begins with Z. the previous code was ANY, which may have been needed for other uses and all other possible combinations were exhausted.

Spartacus

Established Member
Bedford Midland, to distinguish from Bedford St Johns on the old LNW line.

Ha ha! Lots of replies!

ViscountFan

Luton Airport (Bus) is LUA. It seems surprising that the opportunity wasn't taken to make this the same as the already existing IATA code for the airport, which is LTN. Instead, this CRS code is given to Luton Airport Parkway.

najaB

Veteran Member
Instead of Birmingham New Street
But, outside the enthusiast community, how many people ask for a ticket to Birmingham New Street specifically? Most people just say "I want a ticket to Birmingham" for which BHM makes sense as the principal station.

Nean

I always end up putting Liverpool South Parkway as LSP instead of LPY when typing into booking engines before correcting myself... Was there an LSP at one point that's become unused?

satisnek

But, outside the enthusiast community, how many people ask for a ticket to Birmingham New Street specifically? Most people just say "I want a ticket to Birmingham" for which BHM makes sense as the principal station.
Perhaps, but I would have thought that 'Birmingham New Street' is a station name well-known to the travelling public in general, like 'Bristol Temple Meads' and 'Edinburgh Waverley'. However, looking at those two examples the codes are also based purely on the city name and not the full station name, so I can see the logic in using 'BHM' from that point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.