• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Three Peaks Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
Starting from Peterborough and using either advance tickets or priv tickets - what is the best method of two Adults completing this challenge using trains to complete it?

I am open to split ticketing if need be otherwise I'm looking at the most inexpensive way of doing it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm guessing that the three peaks challenge is climbing Snowdon, Scafell and Ben Nevis. I have no idea what the nearest station to any of these is though, so I wouldn't have a clue how to help with any itinerary. I'm not even sure if there is a station near to Ben Nevis. An educated guess would suggest Oxenholme or the Windermere branch for Scafell, while I remember Portillo climbing Snowdon, but I can't remember where from.

If you can give us stations then many more people might be able to help.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
I'm guessing that the three peaks challenge is climbing Snowdon, Scafell and Ben Nevis.

If this is what the OP is referring to, then I would suggest Blaenau Ffestiniog / Porthmadog / Bangor, Ravenglass / Windermere and Fort William for the stations. It obviously depends where the OP would be staying or on any buses the OP may be using to get closer to the mountains.

cuccir

Established Member
I'd be surprised if it were possible to climb these three fells if travelling by rail in 24 hours to be honest, though you could still do a version of the challenge. My understanding is that it normally relies on getting to the head of Wasdale for about 4 am - clearly not possible by public transport!

As I say, of course, you could do a version of this challenge seeing how quickly you could do it. Fort William station is obvious for Ben Nevis - you could probably walk from there.

Dalegarth on the Ravenglass-Eskdale 'ratty' line is a good start point for a walk up Scafell Pike. Altneratively, a you'd have to get a train to Windermere, followed by a bus to Dungeon Ghyll, or a train to Penrtih, followed by a bus to Keswick and then to Seatoller.

I don't know Snowdonia as well as the others!

For obvious reasons, advance tickets might not be ideal when travelling in between the mountains! I'd suggest an Anytime single from Fort William to Preston, and an Anytime Day single from Preston to Blaenau Ffestiniog (presuming that the latter is your destination in Wales). There may be other splits between Fort William and Preston, but the Preston to Blaenau price looks very good to me.

Weary Walker

Country Walking Magazine - June 2010 issue - had an article on doing this by public transport. But not in the traditional 24 hours.
Their itinery
Day 1 travel to Snowdonia via Betws-y-Coed bus to Pen-y-Pass Youth Hostel
Day 2 - Snowdon (ascent via Pyg Track)
Day 3 travel to Lake District (Penrith), buses to Keswick & Seatoller (hotel)
Day 4 - Scafell Pike (ascent via Corridor route)
Day 5 travel to Fort William
Day 6 - Ben Nevis (ascent and descent via Pony Track)

Statto

Established Member
I'd be surprised if it were possible to climb these three fells if travelling by rail in 24 hours to be honest, though you could still do a version of the challenge. My understanding is that it normally relies on getting to the head of Wasdale for about 4 am - clearly not possible by public transport!

I'd have thought the journey to Fort William by Rail alone is such that it be difficult if not impossible, to do the 3 peaks in 24 hours.

Country Walking Magazine - June 2010 issue - had an article on doing this by public transport. But not in the traditional 24 hours.
Their itinery
Day 1 travel to Snowdonia via Betws-y-Coed bus to Pen-y-Pass Youth Hostel
Day 2 - Snowdon (ascent via Pyg Track)
Day 3 travel to Lake District (Penrith), buses to Keswick & Seatoller (hotel)
Day 4 - Scafell Pike (ascent via Corridor route)
Day 5 travel to Fort William
Day 6 - Ben Nevis (ascent and descent via Pony Track)

Going to Betws-Y-Coed is not a bad idea for Snowdon, although the Train service is infrequent, there is a bus service to Llanberis, also stops at Pen-Y-Pass which is at the foot of one of the paths onto Snowdon. http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/gwy_doc.asp?doc=25961&Language=1&p=1&c=1

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I met a chap in Namibia once who was wearing a T-shirt emblazoned "3-Peaks Race 2003".
I asked him which 3-peaks race he had done and got the enigmatic reply: There's only one 3-peaks race.
Turned out he was from Yorkshire where apparently the 3 peaks are Great Whernside, Ingleborough and Pen-y-Ghent!
I guess you could do all three of these in a day from Horton-in-Ribblesdale station.

mirodo

Indeed. As someone who was one of two drivers on a succesful 3 peaks challenge a couple of years ago, I would say it is impossible. The rough schedule we undertook was as follows - good luck getting a train from Fort William which will get you to anywhere near Scafell for 4am!

4pm-10pm Ben Nevis
10pm-4am Drive to Scafell
4am-7:30am Climb Scafell
7:30am-12am Drive to Snowdon
12am-3:30pm Climb Snowdon

Oswyntail

Established Member
.... 3 peaks are Great Whernside, Ingleborough and Pen-y-Ghent!
I guess you could do all three of these in a day from Horton-in-Ribblesdale station.
Yes and yes. This was the original "3 Peaks" challenge, and that applies outside Yorkshire as well:-x

craigwilson

I met a chap in Namibia once who was wearing a T-shirt emblazoned "3-Peaks Race 2003".
I asked him which 3-peaks race he had done and got the enigmatic reply: There's only one 3-peaks race.
Turned out he was from Yorkshire where apparently the 3 peaks are Great Whernside, Ingleborough and Pen-y-Ghent!

I did that walk in 12 hours 7 mins last year. Better walkers can do it in just over 10 hours. The runners approach marathon times!! :o :lol:

johnnychips

Established Member
Scafell Pike: If you're not allowed to use La'al Ratty, then Seascale might be shorter and easier (just) than Ravenglass.

If you're allowed to use buses from the rail network, your options are from Seascale to Gosforth; Windermere to Ambleside to Dungeon Ghyll in Langdale; or Penrith/Whitehaven to Keswick then Seatoller in Borrowdale.

If you were coming from Scotland I reckon the middle one might be quickest in terms of public transport, though from Seatoller is the shortest walk, unless you can use the Ravenglass and Eskdale.

bse35

Snowdon Ranger station on the WHR is at the foot of one of the routes up Snowdon if you're allowed to use the WHR

Status
Not open for further replies.