Three tickets, two are zonal. NRCoC 19(a)

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by bignosemac, 28 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bignosemac

bignosemac Established Member

If I were to purchase the following combination....

Swindon - Pangbourne CDR
    Pangbourne - Boundary Zone 6 CDR
    Zones 1-6 One Day Off Peak Travelcard

.... could I travel on a through train from Swindon to Paddington without need to change at Didcot and call at Pangbourne?

Conditions of Carriage say you may use two or more tickets for one journey provided that:

(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);
    (b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one
    ticket to another; or
    (c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket and the other ticket(s) is/are not.

Will that word both in (a) be my undoing?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. hairyhandedfool

hairyhandedfool Established Member

I wouldn't count on it being okay, I don't think they quite thought that condition through (perhaps thinking people would only have two tickets), but as the Swindon-Pangbourne ticket is not zonal I would say you need to catch a train that stops at Pangbourne.

4. SS4

SS4 Established Member

Don't count on it being valid. Split ticketing is usually done with the tickets either side of the split point. In this case since neither are zonal tickets than condition A doesn't apply and the train would need to call at Pangbourne

5. MikeWh

MikeWh Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

I can see what you're trying to say, but specifically you can split at any number of obscure places on your route if one (and only one) of the tickets is a season ticket. As HHF says, when the condition was written they didn't think about using any more than two tickets. The season one has since been clarified. I'd not like to second-guess which way ATOC would go on the two zonal plus other tickets scenario though.

6. bignosemac

Not to worry too much. The combination in my OP added up to £19.30 with railcard. By splitting at Didcot and Boundary Zone 6 the total is £20.20.

I can live with paying the extra 90p and limiting myself to Didcot callers and avoiding any potential problems the combination in the OP may've given me.

7. LexyBoy

LexyBoy Established Member Fares Advisor

Isn't there an easement allowing travel via Reading for stations west of Didcot to Cholsey, Goring and Pangbourne anyway? Thus making it valid as long as you stop at Reading.

I'd agree that the condition only applies to the join between two zonal tickets.

8. RJ

RJ Established Member

The use of the term “both” means that only two tickets can be used for that particular condition. Not something that is open for interpretation IMO. Part C is different.

9. bignosemac

Aha, thanks for the reminder about the easement for Cholsey. That is one I'd totally forgotten about.

Swindon - Cholsey CDR
    Reading - Boundary Zone 6 CDR
    Zones 1-6 One Day Off Peak Travelcard

That'll be £18.10 with my railcard. Now should I get off at Reading and board the next train?

10. hairyhandedfool

hairyhandedfool Established Member

There is no need to get off the train, it just has to stop there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.