• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Three-year north-south 'Y Gerallt Cymro' train deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jones_bangor

Good news for North - South Wales travellers....

Link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-31761949

Three-year north-south 'Y Gerallt Cymro' express train deal

An express rail service between Holyhead and Cardiff has been secured for another three years.

The train service, Y Gerallt Gymro, is funded by the Welsh government and provides a reduced journey time to the Welsh capital from Anglesey.

Aimed at business users, it is the only service on the route with hot meals.
The new funding deal will see Arriva Train Wales continue to operate the express until the end of the current Wales and Border franchise in 2018...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
Wasn't the 'WAG Express' hugely unprofitable and had barely any ridership outside of Welsh Assembly members travelling to and from their constituencies?

Gareth Marston

Established Member

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wasn't the 'WAG Express' hugely unprofitable and had barely any ridership outside of Welsh Assembly members travelling to and from their constituencies?

I believe standard class has always been well loaded. It's the first class which has been consistently empty.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I believe standard class has always been well loaded. It's the first class which has been consistently empty.

Has it?
Is that opinion based on facts or conjecture?
The times I have seen it there always appears to be a few people in it. Last time (a month ago) I counted 18 in there.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Has it?
The times I have seen it there always appears to be a few people in it. Last time (a month ago) I counted 18 in there.

Assuming they all go by the direct trains the average passenger loading of people travelling from the 6 N Wales unitary authorities to the 10 SE Wales ones and vice versa is in the mid 20's. Of course over the 8 trains each way on weekdays there is great variation. The 0724 to Holyhead from Shrewsbury the 0520 ish from Cardiff you can count them on one hand. I regularly use the 0719 off Shrewsbury the 0438 ex Holyhead and most days you can count maybe 30 odd that stay on board at Shrewsbury on arrival. Gerald and the Maesteg service that connects with the ferry are probably the two that see most use southbound.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The return from Cardiff at 17 16 is very well loaded as it is an ATW franchise service at Commuter time.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Has it?

Clearly I should have made it more obvious that I was speaking in casual manner when using the word 'empty'. It is my understanding that most of the time first class is lightly loaded on the WAG whilst standard class is always well patronised.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
the old 175 service I used departing Cardiff at 1720 was always the busiest service to the North,so no surprise there.

Had the service has ATW wanted called at stations between Wrexham and Shrewsbury, it may well have been no more than 20 odd minutes quicker than a 175, The Ministers comment almost an hour quicker, is a little generous.
I note not a mention of "Business Class" just the only service with hot food.
I am not surprised by the three years extra, the Minister has done this with all other WG funded rail services & trials.
My best guess is ATW/DB will receive in excess of £3millions a year for running the service.

Just another thought, The Minister announced the extension of Gerald on the very same day Friday,when Plaid held its spring conference,coincidence?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.