• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Through Paris to Barcelona TGV service from April 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Catalan new agency link here dated Oct 2012
http://www.catalannewsagency.com/ne...-and-girona-france-finally-start-running-apri
Catalan News Agency said:
The high-speed train linking Barcelona and Girona to France to finally start running in April 2013

Girona (ACN).- Barcelona and Girona will finally be connected with the French city of Perpignan by high-speed train in April 2013, according to the Spanish public company in charge of building and maintaining railway infrastructures, Adif. On Thursday the company’s managers visited the final work being finished between Barcelona’s Sants station (in the South-West of the Catalan capital) and Girona’s high-speed train station. In addition, they have circulated for the first time along the high-speed railway between Sants and the French border, as the tracks are already in place. They have confirmed that all the rail tracks, electric system and safety devices will be in place by the end of the year. This includes the still-pending overhead line in the tunnels crossing Barcelona and Girona. Adif’s President, Enrique Verdeguer, explained that the fact of having awarded the contracts for setting up the rail tracks between Barcelona’s La Sagrera Station and Mollet (for 9 million euros) and for building the first phase of Girona’s provisional high-speed train station (for 25 million euros) have been the key element in fixing the definitive date for the train service to start. High-speed trains between the city of Figueres (located some 20 kilometres south from the French border) and Perpignan have already been in service since last year. However the railway between Barcelona-Sants and Figueres is still out of service and partially under construction. The total cost of the high-speed railway between Barcelona-Sants and Figures, passing through Girona, will be some €4.2 billion

A connection suffering from many years of inexplicable delays

Verdeguer has confirmed the date announced last week by the Spanish Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy, in the press conference he held after meeting the French President François Hollande. Once all the work is finished by the end of the year, Verdeguer explained that the technical validation tests will begin in order to start the public service by April 2013. The high-speed train connection between Barcelona and France is a very much-awaited project in Catalonia, which has suffered from many years of inexplicable delays. In fact, this work, funded and managed by the Spanish Government, will be the first connection of Spain’s high-speed network to Europe. It will enter into service 21 years after the first high-speed train line in Spain: the Madrid-Seville. The Barcelona-France connection will also enter into service after Spain managed to have the third largest high-speed railway operational network in the world, which follows a radial scheme with all the lines starting in Madrid.

Girona high-speed train’s provisional station may become definitive

Verdeguer emphasised that all the work will be finished by the end of the year, including the work which are further delayed, such as Girona’s provisional station for high-speed trains. This station is located next to the city’s main station, which should be entirely reformed and in the future should host both high-speed and regular trains. The train platforms of the provisional station will be finished by the end of the year, including their access from the street. However, the station building and the connection to the old station will not be finished as they are part of the second phase, which should not interfere with high-speed trains stopping in Girona in April 2013. Precisely, this second phase has raised some controversy as the Town Hall fears that the provisional station may turn into the definitive station, since the Spanish Government has previous form of not honouring past promises regarding Girona’s railway system. Therefore, now the Town Council would like to improve the building of the provisional station and the connection with the neighbouring old station where regular trains stop, in case it becomes the definitive station. On Thursday Adif stated that they accept the review of this second phase, which does not mean delaying the high-speed train connection between Barcelona, Girona and France.
Looks like the high speed line between Figueres and Barcelona (appox 140km) will open for service in April 2013. The section between Perpignan and Figueres opened in 2010 with through TGV between Paris and Figureres completing the trip in 5 hrs 30 mins. This makes it possible to get from London to Barcelona in one day.

When complete, will this mean that existing TGV service from Paris terminating at Figueres will continue to Barcelona ? That would mean a journey from Paris to Barcelona of 6 hrs. In turn, overall travel time from London to Madrid would be 12 hours changing in Paris and Barcelona.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sulzer023

Will this mean the end of the TALGO Trenhotel from Paris-Barcelona via Port Bou?

Will this mean the end of the TALGO Trenhotel from Paris-Barcelona via Port Bou?

I wondered that, too.

Already this serviced has been reduced to 5 journey per week. And if the TGV Paris to Barcelona takes off with say 5 departures per day and a 6 hour journey time, expect TrenHotel bookings to drop further still.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
According to Catalan new agency link here dated Oct 2012
http://www.catalannewsagency.com/ne...-and-girona-france-finally-start-running-apri

Looks like the high speed line between Figueres and Barcelona (appox 140km) will open for service in April 2013. The section between Perpignan and Figueres opened in 2010 with through TGV between Paris and Figureres completing the trip in 5 hrs 30 mins. This makes it possible to get from London to Barcelona in one day.

When complete, will this mean that existing TGV service from Paris terminating at Figueres will continue to Barcelona ? That would mean a journey from Paris to Barcelona of 6 hrs. In turn, overall travel time from London to Madrid would be 12 hours changing in Paris and Barcelona.

I did this route a couple of times many years a go when I was a student (I'm now 46). Whilst its great that high speed travel has been extended across the French / Spanish border, in terms of travelling from London its much quicker to fly. On this basis it’s very hard to see that there would be a market for customers travelling from London - Barca / Madrid by train. For tourists and business travelers time is of the essence. For student backpackers things are slightly different but they represent a very small % of the market in my view.

rf_ioliver

I did this route a couple of times many years a go when I was a student (I'm now 46). Whilst its great that high speed travel has been extended across the French / Spanish border, in terms of travelling from London its much quicker to fly. On this basis it’s very hard to see that there would be a market for customers travelling from London - Barca / Madrid by train. For tourists and business travelers time is of the essence. For student backpackers things are slightly different but they represent a very small % of the market in my view.

I don't think London-Barcelona would become a "regular" route for many like you say, however for travel times up to 5 hours this kind of highspeed rail is really the target. For example, Marseilles-Brussels is very well patronised despite the flying time being an hour or so, coupled with getting to the airport, airport security, check-in times, inconsistent restrictions on what you can and can't carry, poor aircraft seating and the general race-to-the-bottom regarding airline service quality etc...

Often I used to fly to Paris CDG and then take the train to Marseilles/Nice, rather than fly direct for example..

Ian

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Thopugh I wouldn't expect frequent services, I do wonder if we might see Eurostar (or another operator) trying a once a week London-Barcalona service, a bit like the Eurostar Ski Trains or services to Avignon?

hluraven

Price dependant, this is definitely one I would do, the current rail route is just too expensive, and my wife won't fly - so Barcelona remains an unfulfilled ambition.

cle

Established Member
Is the Barcelona - Figueres HS section complete for this in April 2013?

There are also further improvements (in the future) such as Nimes and Montpellier bypasses, which will reduce journey times between Avignon and Barcelona.

I think there could eventually be a market for this. HS travel will increase, and the Cologne/Frankfurt/Amsterdam services will help to dispel the Brussels/Paris only perception further. People will consider it an option for the first time.

If Eurostar did an experiment, I guess the obvious would be an extension of the Avignon weekly, but maybe up the frequency. A stop in Montpellier and Perpignan would open new markets too.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Price dependant, this is definitely one I would do, the current rail route is just too expensive, and my wife won't fly - so Barcelona remains an unfulfilled ambition.

I believe that the cheapest combination of tickets for a return (excluding special offers) is currently:
London - Paris from £69 return from Eurostar
Paris - Perpignan from 25€ single from TGV Europe
Perpignan - Figueres from 9€ single from TGV Europe
(From a total of around £125)
Figueres - Barcelona from 23€ single (walk-up price), although I am sure I have seen single figure fares for this leg before and imagine that there are significantly cheaper alternatives.

RailEurope's cheapest offer for this trip is £205.

Veteran Member
I really hope not, it's one of my favourite journeys.

I don't see why Trenhotel and TGV shouldn't co-exist for a while longer, 6 hours is long for a daytime journey and 12 hours good for overnight.

And I reckon the Gran Clase with DB&B at about £280 for two (EUR338.-) out of high season is pretty reasonable value

I think the crunch may come when the Talgo stock needs replacing, though.

Sulzer023

I see that the Trenhotel is to leave Paris 2 hours later than now so assume this train will use the high speed line rather than via Port Bou. Will this be the end of the gauge changing facility at Port Bou?

Veteran Member
I thought this as well, but the train is still calling at Figueras not F-Alafant and terminating at B-Franca which means using the gauge changer at Port Bou. What happens after Easter we will have to wait and see...

I see that the Trenhotel is to leave Paris 2 hours later than now so assume this train will use the high speed line rather than via Port Bou. Will this be the end of the gauge changing facility at Port Bou?

Seems unlikely. From 9 December, the TrenHotel leaves Paris Austerlitz 2 hours later, and arrives into Barcelona nearly 2 hours later.

Howardh

Established Member
Even living up north - I'm one of those who would love the option of getting to Barcelona by rail. The Tren-hotel has been an option, but never fancied it as I usually travel solo.

As I usually end up in Ibiza/Formentera, the journey would be Manchester - London - Paris (overnight) and then Paris - Barcalona for the ferry to Ibiza, and same for return. Quite fancy whittling away the 6-hr journey with a bottle of red, a good book or some tunes.

However - the big pull would be if I booked with the airlines and something like the ash-cloud, strikes or airlines going bust would mean the rail connection is a decent alternative escape route from Ibiza - as long as the ferry was running!

And, of course, no liquids restrictions, waiting at carousels, and the 50-minute queue to get through immigration. Lostock Parkway to Barcelona, return. Bring it on.

> Already this serviced has been reduced to 5 journey per week.

Do you know which days it runs. According to DB for a week in February it runs every night. I hope to take this train in May on a Friday night.

Thank you, Stephen.

Veteran Member
Southbound WThX, northbound TWX.

Daily service resumes 2 weeks before Easter but times from April are missing on DB and SNCF sites - I would expect it to be daily though through till autumn.

Thank you very much for that information. That is good to hear. I have a cruise from Barcelona to Marseille and have always wanted to try this train.

The new later departure time makes dinner on the train a bit late (for us). I suppose that is the spanish way.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Thank you very much for that information. That is good to hear. I have a cruise from Barcelona to Marseille and have always wanted to try this train.

The new later departure time makes dinner on the train a bit late (for us). I suppose that is the spanish way.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I've done the TrenHotel from Madrid to Paris three times now. And a thoroughly enjoyable experience each time. On the second occasion, rather then board at Madrid Charmartin, I took the Alvia to Valladolid for pit stop and drink. Then joined the Paris bound TrenHotel at Valladolid approx 21:30 and dinner later still on the train. Very civilised. And a good meal and few drinks later, I stumbled back to my cabin and was Zzzz. I slept through the gauge changer experience and awoke a hour or from Paris Austerlitz.

You can read more about the service here:
http://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm#Whats the trainhotel like

Thank you for your experiences and link. I think I will do the sleeper even if the have the direct day train by then. The sleeper seems such a great trip.

Best wishes, Stephen.

The new high speed line from Barcelona to Figueres opens tomorrow - Wed 9 January 2013.

From the RENFE timetable, there appears to be 8 AVE daily trains taking 53 mins from Barcelona to Figueres. Many of these AVE trains originate in Madrid.

With a change in Paris and Figueres, it's possible to travel from London to Madrid in one day.

I've read that through TGVs from Paris to Barcelona start in April 2013.

cle

Established Member
I'd love to see the stopping patterns and timetables of the Paris - Barcelona TGVs if anyone has them?

Also will AVE services go beyond Figueres?

> I've read that through TGVs from Paris to Barcelona start in April 2013.

That is very interesting to know. I will probably still take the Train Hotel as it sounds interesting and will save on a hotel night either side of the train journey.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Tim B

I've read that through TGVs from Paris to Barcelona start in April 2013.

If this new Paris Barcelona daytime service is to commence with the timetable change on 13 April 2013 I would expect train times to be appearing on Rail Europe etc very shortly as we are now precisely 92 days away from that date ! :o Has anyone had any luck finding timings on the internet ?

The Bahn.com site isn't currently showing the new Madrid - Figueres AVEs even though this service has actually started.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Expect bookings to open a few days before the service starts. That is what happened when the Paris - Figueres/-as TGVs and connecting Alvia trains to Barcelona and later the AVEs to Barcelona and Madrid started running. Spanish bookings for after the December timetable change also usually open very late.

Status
Not open for further replies.