• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Through tickets from LU to NR from LU machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leisurefirst

Hi all,
Travelling this weekend to Farringdon by Underground then to St. Albans and return.
I have a Gold Card ("Ticket To Ryde", so no LU availability).
Checked this evening at a local tube station...
There is an off peak return available right through for I think £11.70.
This is cheaper than the two discounted Oyster PAYGs to Farringdon and back plus a return from Farringdon.
Two questions for you... at the weekend the super off peak return from Farringdon to St Albans is far cheaper at £6.20 (plus the £3.20 Oyster fares).
Will I be able to get a super off peak from my London Underground station (not served by NR)?
Also - I will be travelling with a Freedom Pass holder - can I obtain a Boundary Z6 to St Albans return for them either from my local station (preferably) or from Farringdon from the LU machines?
I recently asked a member of staff at Moorgate if BZ tickets could be purchased from there and he thought yes, the Freedom Pass holder touches it on the card reader on the machine but IIRC he had not done it? I've not heard of this before - is this only at LU stations with NR servives?
Failing all this I guess I can get out at Farringdon and use the Thameslink machines at the new entrance but I would ideally not want to.
Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There aren't any Super Off Peak fares to/from St Albans to Underground stations so it will probably be cheaper to split. I'd purchase the paper ticket beforehand at a National Rail station or online if possible as I'm not sure if they're available from a LU station. If using PAYG to Farringdon you will need to touch out, there are Oyster validators on the platforms at Paddington or you could go through the ticket barriers and re-enter.

Your friend can make use of a BZ ticket. The BZ ticket will need to be purchased from a station, it cannot be purchased online. The good news is that there are SUper Off Peak BZ tickets. There is no requirement for your friend to touch in or out their Freedom Pass at Farringdon as it effectively is a season ticket but if your changing trains there then it probably makes sense to do so (and you'll need to touch out anyway)

Farringdon does have a National Rail ticket office so this could be of use to you.

Leisurefirst

There aren't any Super Off Peak fares to/from St Albans to Underground stations so it will probably be cheaper to split. I'd purchase the paper ticket beforehand at a National Rail station or online if possible as I'm not sure if they're available from a LU station. If using PAYG to Farringdon you will need to touch out, there are Oyster validators on the platforms at Paddington or you could go through the ticket barriers and re-enter.

Your friend can make use of a BZ ticket. The BZ ticket will need to be purchased from a station, it cannot be purchased online. The good news is that there are SUper Off Peak BZ tickets. There is no requirement for your friend to touch in or out their Freedom Pass at Farringdon as it effectively is a season ticket but if your changing trains there then it probably makes sense to do so (and you'll need to touch out anyway)

Farringdon does have a National Rail ticket office so this could be of use to you.
Thank you for the reply :)

May well be more expensive, but worth checking the TfL Contactless fare for the full journey, as St Albans is now enabled for that (but not Oyster)

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It would be helpful to know the exact journey to be better able to advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.