• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Through train ticket to Manchester Metrolink (Tram)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakerstreet

Is this possible. I remember there being some kind of through ticketing but I’ve tried various possibilities on br fares but cannot find anything. Neither could I find anything by googling.
Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rail Ranger

Is this possible. I remember there being some kind of through ticketing but I’ve tried various possibilities on br fares but cannot find anything. Neither could I find anything by googling.
Many thanks

The through fares are on brfares.com. Metrolink now has a zonal fare system so you need to find out which Metrolink zones you will be passing through, e.g. a through ticket from Leeds to Sale Metrolink will be from Leeds to Metrolink zones 1-3:
Origin 8487 LEEDS LDS
Destination L013 METROLINK Z1-3 QMI
Railcard / Discount PUBLIC

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The through fares are on brfares.com. Metrolink now has a zonal fare system so you need to find out which Metrolink zones you will be passing through, e.g. a through ticket from Leeds to Sale Metrolink will be from Leeds to Metrolink zones 1-3:
Origin 8487 LEEDS LDS
Destination L013 METROLINK Z1-3 QMI
I could be wrong, but it appears that through fares to MTLK stations are still only available from stations within the Greater Manchester ticketing area, and not from stations outside.

bakerstreet

I could be wrong, but it appears that through fares to MTLK stations are still only available from stations within the Greater Manchester ticketing area, and not from stations outside.

yes I think you’re right. On BRFares, I couldn’t see anything from the London area or Leeds. Did see Manchester Airport. Also it seems these fares might not attract railcard discounts. But happy to be corrected.

Rail Ranger

Try putting "GM" before the (e.g.) "Metrolink Z1-3":
Origin 8487 LEEDS LDS
Destination L004 GM METROLNK Z1-3 QMC
and it will show you fares. Railcard discounts are not available on through fares to Metrolink destinations (they never have been).

setdown

As a fairly useless bit of trivia, railcard discounts used to be available on through fares to Metrolink (at least from stations on the mid-Cheshire line), but that was removed a few years ago.

setdown

It always felt a weird thing, 90% of the time the guard would be happy to sell it, but sometime they’d say something along the lines of “I won’t sell it you, it’s not allowed”. I used it many times, and it was subject to the early-morning £12 minimum fare. It was removed eventually anyway, even online.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
As a fairly useless bit of trivia, railcard discounts used to be available on through fares to Metrolink (at least from stations on the mid-Cheshire line), but that was removed a few years ago.

Wasn't that just a special arrangement for the Sunday service, which pre-2008 only ran Altrincham-Chester (cut back when Metrolink opened), but Rail tickets accepted as a conpromise.

Generally, Railcard discounts have never generally been valid for Metrolink through tickets.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Try putting "GM" before the (e.g.) "Metrolink Z1-3":
Origin 8487 LEEDS LDS
Destination L004 GM METROLNK Z1-3 QMC
and it will show you fares. Railcard discounts are not available on through fares to Metrolink destinations (they never have been).

Before the current Metrolink Zones, within GM fares were sold to the former Metrolink Zone, outside GM fares were to each individual stop.

No idea why there was a difference!

scrapy

Established Member
An anomaly in ticketing systems that wasn't fixed allowed railcard discounts to be applied to fares to Metrolink (it was even possible to apply a Devon and Cornwall railcard discount!) However it was stated in fares manuals that Metrolink didn't recognise any form of railcard or staff travel card and discounts should not be applied to any ticket to a Metrolink station or zone (with the exception of tickets to Manchester CTLZ from a Greater Manchester station where the Metrolink add-on was in effect free so not railcard discounted).

Of course in practice staff didnt consult the fares manual every time they issue a ticket, so tickets will often be issued on the basis that if the machine offers it, it must be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.