• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thurso to Edinburgh - permitted route Via Glasgow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowMuch?

Can a map wizard help me out, please? I'm on a trip now. I have a Club55 return Edinburgh to Thurso (19 quid, Yay!). It is "any permitted".

Is Glasgow on a permitted route?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

headshot119

Established Member
I'd tentatively say no, valid only via Stirling and Falkirk, or via INVERKEITHING.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Agreed.

Permitted routes from THURSO to EDINBURGH

• THURSO is associated with these routeing points: INVERNESS.
  • EDINBURGH is part of the Edinburgh Group.
The following are ALWAYS Permitted routes:

• Any direct trains advertised from THURSO to EDINBURGH in the current timetable
  • The shortest route with a regular train service, not including walks and transfers (328.97 miles): Show route in detail
    • THURSO
    • INVERNESS
    • PERTH
    • LADYBANK
    • Kirkcaldy Group
    • Inverkeithing Group
    • Edinburgh Group
The following are Permitted unless there is an easement preventing them:

• Any route 331.97 miles or less (i.e. within 3 miles of the shortest route above).
  • Mapped routes from INVERNESS to EDINBURGH
    • IS (includes ABERDEEN, STIRLING, Falkirk Group, PERTH, DUNDEE, LADYBANK, Kirkcaldy Group, Inverkeithing Group)
    • EI (includes PERTH, STIRLING, Falkirk Group)
  • Any additional route allowed by an easement.

route:oxford

Established Member
How about changing at Dingwall - Kyle of Lochalsh - taxi/bus-ferry-Mallaig-Glasgow-Edinburgh?

I thought there were various (tourist related) easements around that area - but they aren't on the list provided in another post (when searching for dingwall, fort bill, mallaig etc).

HowMuch?

How about changing at Dingwall - Kyle of Lochalsh - taxi/bus-ferry-Mallaig-Glasgow-Edinburgh?

I thought there were various (tourist related) easements around that area - but they aren't on the list provided in another post (when searching for dingwall, fort bill, mallaig etc).

Wow! Is that really a possibility?

Perhaps by starting at Edinburgh I wasn't being devious enough. Is there a station XXX between Edinburgh and Glasgow such that XXX to Thurso is permitted via Glasgow/Perth out AND Edinburgh/Aberdeen return? That would be Very nice 19 quids worth.

kieron

Established Member
Is there a station XXX between Edinburgh and Glasgow such that XXX to Thurso is permitted via Glasgow/Perth out AND Edinburgh/Aberdeen return? That would be Very nice 19 quids worth.
Glasgow's the obvious choice. Scotrail suggests a service from Queen Street-Falkirk High-Edinburgh, skipping Stirling altogether. I don't know why that's valid, but there are so many easements in the central belt that I'm happy to trust them on that one.

Unfortunately, the Club 55 T&C state that you cannot break your journey. You could, I suppose, get a single from Glasgow to Edinburgh to start your ticket at the right place (you could still travel via Perth if you want to), but buying a second Club 55 ticket may be more convenient.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Is there a station XXX between Edinburgh and Glasgow such that XXX to Thurso is permitted via Glasgow/Perth out AND Edinburgh/Aberdeen return?

Airdrie would fit the bill. But as others have pointed out, your club 55 ticket is not valid for break of journey, so you would need to travel from Airdrie on another ticket if you want to actually visit Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Permitted routes from THURSO to AIRDRIE
  • THURSO is associated with these routeing points: INVERNESS.
  • AIRDRIE is associated with these routeing points: Edinburgh Group, Falkirk Group, Glasgow Group, Inverkeithing Group.
The following are ALWAYS Permitted routes:

• Any direct trains advertised from THURSO to AIRDRIE in the current timetable
  • The shortest route with a regular train service, not including walks and transfers (345.55 miles): Show route in detail
    • THURSO
    • INVERNESS
    • PERTH
    • STIRLING
    • Glasgow Group
The following are Permitted unless there is an easement preventing them:

HowMuch?

Thanks, everyone, for clear explanations. I may just buy another club55 from Thurso to Glasgow so I can visit there.

The eyeopener was the non-reversible route! Is Glasgow to Thurso really valid via Edinburgh, but Edinburgh to Thurso NOT valid via Glasgow? The maps claim to always give réversible routes, so there must be a non-reversible easement kicking in somewhere.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, can I say that I would not have been BOJing at Glasgow but stopping short - which is NOT barred under the Club55 conditions (it IS specifically barred on advances).

calc7

Established Member
The eyeopener was the non-reversible route! Is Glasgow to Thurso really valid via Edinburgh, but Edinburgh to Thurso NOT valid via Glasgow? The maps claim to always give réversible routes, so there must be a non-reversible easement kicking in somewhere).

That's not reversing the route! A to C via B leading to C to A valid via B is reversing a route.
What you've said is A to C valid via B means A to B is valid via C. This is equivalent to saying Penzance to Edinburgh is valid via Plymouth therefore Penzance to Plymouth is valid via Edinburgh!

HowMuch?

Ah! I think you've got me bang to rights there! I was being dim wasn't I ?

But to redeem myself... a bit... perhaps...

I now realise that CARLISLE to Thurso is permitted via either Edinburgh or Glasgow. So I could have started from Carlisle for a bit of a round trip. No BOJ in Edinburgh or Glasgow, of course (except for the walk between GLQ and GLC).

But I don't know if the Edinburgh leg would have been permitted via Aberdeen. Give that Embra-Thurso IS valid via Aberdeen, you might think so - but I know it doesn't always work like that.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The current edition of the Routeing Guide is not recursive, therefore a route permitted between Edinburgh and Inverness is not necessarily permitted between Carlisle and Inverness simply because Carlisle - Inverness is permitted via Edinburgh.

That said, Carlisle - Thurso is permitted via Aberdeen using map IS according to the Routeing Guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.