• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thurston - London Blackfriars - Cheapest

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawallace

I need to do Thurston - London Blackfrairs Return.

I need to go on a Tuesday - arriving at Blackfrairs by 10pm.

I would leave on a Friday approx 6pm.

I cannot commit to a certain train on the return journey - so cannot have an advance ticket for this one.

Could you advise the cheapest ticket combo.

Adult travelling alone - no discounts or priv card

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
The cheapest ticket possible I think will be :

Off Peak Return Thurston - Zone U1 * London £43.90 (1A) ANY PERMITTED

Allows travel to either London Liverpool Street via Ipswich or London Kings Cross via Cambridge and 1 single journey to Blackfriars each way on the Underground.

This ticket carries restriction code: 1A

Valid MONDAYS-FRIDAYS
(By any train on other
"Off-Peak" days)

OUTWARD TRAVEL
Not valid on ANY train timed
to arrive at London Fenchurch
Street,London Liverpool Street
or London Kings Cross (from
East Anglia via Cambridge)
from 0430 to 1000 and at
Stratford (London) before 0950
(London) before 0950,
Tottenham Hale or Seven
Sisters before 0940.

RETURN TRAVEL
Not valid on any train
departing London Liverpool
Street or London Kings Cross
(to East Anglia via Cambridge)
_before 09.30, or between
16.29 and 18:34 (inclusive).

Not valid on any train
departing London Fenchurch
Street before 0930.

Not valid on northbound trains
departing Seven Sisters before
0940 nor between 1645 and 1849
inclusive.

departing Stratford (London)
before 0938 nor between 1636
and 1841 inclusive.

departing Tottenham Hale
before 0940 nor between 1641
and 1840 inclusive.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Could you advise the cheapest ticket combo.
To be honest, no, sorry.

You've asked a few times for the cheapest ticket combination but I think that we need to be honest with you and say that we cannot guarantee to find it, for reasons I outline here and here.

In my experience, when I attempt to find the cheapest, it often isn't quite the cheapest anyway, and is often too slow to meet the customers need (e.g. is a £5 saving for a 2 hour longer journey worth it? It's subjective but most would say no).

If you find it time consuming to look up fare combinations using booking sites, then brfares.com may make that process easier. There is also trainscanbecheaper.info which can find cheaper combinations for you.

It may be cheaper to buy a ticket to London Terminals and use Oyster Pay As You Go (PAYG) for the final leg of your journey to Blackfriars... but if you do not have an Oyster Card and do not visit London regularly you may prefer to stick with the U1 ticket.

Ivo

Established Member
Much of the journey from Thurston to London comes under former NSE routes, making splitting difficult. In practice, you will be unlikely to do much better than sonic2009's suggestion (apart from travelling by bus in London and buying to London Terminals instead).

If you are willing to take a far slower journey, splitting at somewhere like Cheshunt or Waltham Cross will save you a small sum (even to London Terminals you are looking at about £35 though). However, I would suggest that the much greater journey times would surely negate this benefit (as yorkie notes above).

Status
Not open for further replies.