• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket acceptance during EMT strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengolding

I pre-booked a First Advance with EMT a few weeks back for travel on Tues pm from St Pancras - Derby.

EMT are of course still running a very limited non-reservable all stopper service on a first come first serve basis. ISTR last week that amongst TOCs Virgin and XC were also accepting EMT tickets on reasonable routes. At the time I was booked to travel, there is a non-stop VT to Tamworth with a journey time to Derby almost comparable to EMT.

Has anybody had experience using EMT during last week's strike days, and would it be reasonable for me to use Virgin instead on Tuesday? When I asked yesterday - an EMT ticket office clerk said it was fine using my First Advance on another route but I just wanted to double check.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Have you seen this?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/saa489256de04d93ba58644128cd0f4d/details.html

Among other things, it states...

Ticket acceptance
On the days of the Industrial action, customers may also use the following train operators:

• CrossCountry will be accepting East Midlands Trains passengers (including customers with 'East Midlands Trains only' tickets) on all reasonable routes on the strike dates.
  • London Midland will be accepting passengers between Liverpool and Birmingham, Stoke-on-Trent and Crewe & Stafford- Birmingham - Northampton - London Euston
  • East Coast will accept passengers between Doncaster and London Kings Cross (use First TransPennine Express or Northern Rail services between Sheffield and Doncaster for connections).
  • First Capital Connect will accept East Midlands Trains passengers on services where there is no direct East Midlands Trains service. For example, if travelling between Derby and Bedford passengers may travel into London and then travel on First Capital Connect between London and Bedford.
  • Northern Rail, First TransPennine Express and Greater Anglia will accept East Midlands Trains passengers on all reasonable routes.
  • Virgin Trains will accept East Midlands Trains passengers on all reasonable routes.
Derby to London via Tamworth is clearly very reasonable so there should be no issues whatsoever.

bengolding

Thanks for the prompt reply, Yorkie. I didn't see that info earlier. In the evening peak, EMT First Advances are ridiculously high compared to equivalent journeys with Virgin so using VT will be a bonus given their enhanced service and EMT suspending First at-seat service as per last week due to sheer overcrowding.

A friend is also looking to travel St Pancras - Leicester on Thursday using a pre-booked ticket. To avoid the overcrowded EMT service, I assume Euston - Nuneaton - Leicester would be reasonable, as there is a direct VT at the time they wre looking to travel (18:10, taking only 1h40)?

Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would definitely say that via Nuneaton is reasonable for Leicester-London.

I think the issue with saying "reasonable" is to stop people doing something unnecessarily long, such as Derby-London via Sheffield & Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.