• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket Acceptance of LNR/WMT Tickets on AWC due to Landslip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Can anyone confirm that there is ticket acceptance in place of London North Western Railway/West Midlands Trains tickets for travel on Avanti West Coast services due to the landslide?

I am going to be using a LNR/WMT Only ticket Hemel Hempstead to Liverpool Lime Street on Wednesday and want to check if there is ticket acceptance on AWC. It looks like I'd be best picking up one of the (few) AWC services that stops at Milton Keynes Central or Rugby.

I'm assuming too that due to the disruption time restrictions on Super Off Peak tickets will not be enforced when having to use alternative services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Avanti West Coast will call at:
  • Nuneaton once per hour on their London Euston - Liverpool Lime Street services, in both directions.
  • Tamworth and Lichfield Trent Valley once per hour on their London Euston - Manchester Piccadilly services, in both directions.
Avanti West Coast will accept our tickets on these services
Info from the LNWR website, my bold.
Your alternative is to use LNW throughout via Birmingham and claim delay repay.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Info from the LNWR website, my bold.
Your alternative is to use LNW throughout via Birmingham and claim delay repay.
There is a clear implication that this was designed for passengers travelling to/from those named intermediate stations.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There is a clear implication that this was designed for passengers travelling to/from those named intermediate stations.

Yes, that's how I read it and suspect the OP may have problems, and would advise they just go via Brum and claim the Delay Repay (noting that the latter is only applicable if the ticket has already been purchased).

LowLevel

Established Member
The Avanti internal message is that LNWR tickets are being accepted between London Euston and Crewe on Liverpool and Manchester services to cover for the missing LNWR Euston to Crewe service.

Haywain

Veteran Member
That is not the case.
To my reading the implication is clear. If that isn't the intention then the wording should be looked at to make it clearer. And if you have additional information you should consider sharing it rather than just disagreeing in such an unhelpful manner.

Established Member
To my reading the implication is clear. If that isn't the intention then the wording should be looked at to make it clearer. And if you have additional information you should consider sharing it rather than just disagreeing in such an unhelpful manner.
The information has already been provided.

It's also written in the quote that you have misunderstood from the Avanti website.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I agree it is badly worded, and what should be on there is what @LowLevel said is on the internal bulletin, i.e. that acceptance is in place between Euston, Crewe and intermediate stations on the Manchester and Liverpool services (though even that is confusing, as southbound you may not know the train's origin, and aren't the Scotlands calling at Crewe at the moment?). It's like they actually enjoy confusing people.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The wording (produced by London Northwestern) could definitely do with being clearer, as my initial interpretation was that the ticket acceptance only applied to Nuneaton, Lichfield Trent Valley and Tamworth as well.

In actuality, it's three separate things:
  • AWC Euston - Liverpool services are calling additionally at Nuneaton
  • AWC Euston - Manchester services are calling additionally at Tamworth and Lichfield Trent Valley
  • AWC are accepting LNR tickets between Euston and Crewe, reducing the need to use the Rail Replacement Service between Rugby and Stafford.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I agree it is badly worded, and what should be on there is what @LowLevel said is on the internal bulletin, i.e. that acceptance is in place between Euston, Crewe and intermediate stations on the Manchester and Liverpool services (though even that is confusing, as southbound you may not know the train's origin, and aren't the Scotlands calling at Crewe at the moment?). It's like they actually enjoy confusing people.
Even what @LowLevel has said doesn't mention intermediate stations, so can easily be read as only applying to those holding tickets with Euston and Crewe as origin and destination. I looked on the NRE site earlier and could not see anything there that explicitly answered the OP's question and nothing that has been posted here does so either.

Edit: Now seen the post above by @CyrusWuff and it appears the OP can use AWC but not through to Liverpool.

LowLevel

Established Member
No. Still Euston - Crewe on Liverpool and Manchester services.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No. Still Euston - Crewe on Liverpool and Manchester services.
Is there any guidance on how to tell where a service came from when travelling towards London?

LowLevel

Established Member
Is there any guidance on how to tell where a service came from when travelling towards London?

Dunno, it's a staff message I thought might be helpful (I think the public messages have been covered up thread and are also unchanged) so in it's literal sense I assume the staff in question will know :lol:

gray1404

Established Member
Looking at my Hemel Hempstead (via Milton Keynes) to Liverpool journey there are so few AWC services that stop at MKC coveted by this ticket acceptance that I might have no choice but to use LNR service via Birmingham.

Claiming deiay deiay may prove difficult. Even though the ticket was purchased before the land slide, the LNR services have been deleted from the system so I could see the claim getting rejected.

Veteran Member
Looking at my Hemel Hempstead (via Milton Keynes) to Liverpool journey there are so few AWC services that stop at MKC coveted by this ticket acceptance that I might have no choice but to use LNR service via Birmingham.

Claiming deiay deiay may prove difficult. Even though the ticket was purchased before the land slide, the LNR services have been deleted from the system so I could see the claim getting rejected.
The xx46 from Euston, which presumably are the services you intended to connect into, are shown on RTT for today and tomorrow as CANcelled. Should be sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.