• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket advice, anytime day return Derby to Uttoxeter

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

miccollinsuk

Hi there, I was hoping somebody could advise me on a bit of confusion the anytime day return prices are causing me for Derby to Uttoxeter.

I need to get the 8.40am train from Derby, arriving at Uttoxeter at 9.05am this Thursday (14th). I need to return later that evening sometime after 6.00pm.

Looking at the prices, there are two Anytime Day Return tickets available, one priced at £5.20 and the other £7.90 (with young persons railcard discount). The only difference is that you cannot select the 8.40AM train under the cheaper ticket. However, the terms and conditions (which are identical to the more expensive ticket) clearly state that the ticket is valid on any route throughout the whole day.

So does anyone know why it wont let me select the 8.40AM train with the cheaper ticket? And do you think i would be able to just select a later train with the cheaper ticket, and still just catch the 8.40AM one without any problems? When i have bought day returns in the past it has always been on the day, and so i havent even had to select what train i am going to get.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
There is a £12 minimum 16-25 Railcard fare before 1000, which means you would need to pay the undiscounted full fare.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
With the exception of July and August, 16-25 Railcard-discounted tickets are subject to a minimum fare of £12 if travelling before 10am Monday - Friday.

Your fare is lower than £12 so you cannot get any discount if travelling before 10am.

You cannot just buy the discounted ticket and travel on the journey you mentioned, as the ticket would not be valid.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
The £7.90 ticket has no Railcard discount and is valid at any time. The £5.20 ticket has a Railcard discount and is not valid before 10:00.

Status
Not open for further replies.