• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket advice - your questions answered by me (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Following on from my previous topic, anyone want any advice on the cheapest fares? ;)

Please specify origin/destination stations, and details of when you'd like to travel (day of week/approx time) and if it's a day trip or longer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
Havant or Fareham to York, day return, arrive York 11:30, travelling on a Tuesday 16/08/05
Depart York 16:30 onwards

jonb

Established Member
Right this is just a question for you Yorkie. Can I use a YPR to get a discount on a travelcard at say 0900 in the morning?

Cheers

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jonb said:
Right this is just a question for you Yorkie. Can I use a YPR to get a discount on a travelcard at say 0900 in the morning?

Cheers
Possibly, it depends on where the travelcard is from. I am not sure of the restrictions from your local station.

In the London area it's generally after 0930, but if going from outside London it tends to be the first train to arrive after 0930 but it varies a lot. For example on WAGN, the first you can get from Peterborough is 0848 which arrives at about 1000 for £12, but to get to London for 1000 on GNER you need a peak travelcard at something like £50.

If you can tell me your local station I will see if I can find out the cheapest way of doing it.

Coxster

Established Member
Could you tell me the cheapest way to get from Farnborough to Weymouth and back on a Saturday? Leave Farnborough about 08:30/09:00 and return back leaving Weymouth about 18:00.

Also, am I allowed to alight at a station and then rejoin a different train but without leaving the station? i.e Alight at Bournemouth heading southbound, don't leave station just spot and catch next southbound train.

jonb

Established Member
yorkie said:
jonb said:

Cheers
Possibly, it depends on where the travelcard is from. I am not sure of the restrictions from your local station.

In the London area it's generally after 0930, but if going from outside London it tends to be the first train to arrive after 0930 but it varies a lot. For example on WAGN, the first you can get from Peterborough is 0848 which arrives at about 1000 for £12, but to get to London for 1000 on GNER you need a peak travelcard at something like £50.

If you can tell me your local station I will see if I can find out the cheapest way of doing it.

Local station is Brentwood.

Julian G

Established Member
how much does this cost?
West Brompton to Lymington Pier
leave 09:00
return 14:00
what ticket would i need for this? :)

T

Tom

A rover? Well, the Severn and Solent I believe covers you to Southampton...

tramboy

For some friends to get here...in the future!

Lewisham-Grantham
Saltburn-Grantham
Darlington-Grantham (probably similar to the Saltburn one!)

arr Sunday 4th Sept, dep the sunday after...but really just after the general cheapest tickets.

Cheers

Dave

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
tramboy said:
For some friends to get here...in the future!

Lewisham-Grantham
Saltburn-Grantham
Darlington-Grantham (probably similar to the Saltburn one!)

arr Sunday 4th Sept, dep the sunday after...but really just after the general cheapest tickets.

Cheers

Dave
If you're going for day returns off peak:-

1) London to Grantham is available as a CDR, so the cheapest option (off peak) is an all Zones travelcard and Boundary Zone 6 to Grantham ticket.

2) Saltburn to York CDR (ROUTE DIRECT*) and York to Grantham CDR (Non-discounted Saving vs Saver price of £18 :shock: )

3) Darlington to York CDR + York to Grantham CDR

* By 'Direct' that means any direct train and also the direct route ie, via Yarm, NOT via Darlington. This ticket is priced by Northern and is £10 cheaper than the 'Any permitted' ticket.

If you're not going for a day trip then you should consider booking an advance purchase ticket (STD OFF PEAK, APEX or SUPER ADVANCE) well in advance, use the GNER website to request details of when the dates you require become open for bookings, this is usually around 6-8 weeks in advance and some tickets sell out on the day they go on sale, such is the demand on GNER!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1288gaje said:
how much does this cost?
West Brompton to Lymington Pier
leave 09:00
return 14:00
what ticket would i need for this? :)
Probably just a CDR, but it might * be cheaper to get a travelcard and a Boundary Zone 6 to Lymington ticket, particularly if you want to go into London and out again.

The 'Route Not London' ticket is only 20p cheaper than 'Any permitted'.

The non-discounted CDR fare is £28 for Any permitted. If you want to go at 09:00 on a weekday you need a SDR, the non-discounted price is £29.10 for the 'Any permitted'.

If you want a trip on a slammer**, why not join one of our forum meets? they'll cost you less money for more mileage. :) Also only a very short section (5 miles) is on a slammer.

* Ask at a station for the fare as I don't have a fares manual and ATOC wishes to keep those fares secret from the public.

** I know that's why you're going to Lymington ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TheSlash said:
Havant or Fareham to York, day return, arrive York 11:30, travelling on a Tuesday 16/08/05
Depart York 16:30 onwards
I'll choose Havant, but prices from Fareham are likely to be the same.

GNER STD OFF PEAK 2 RTN is £41, that's your cheapest through ticket option (No discounts available though), but there is limited availability, if you want to get there before 12:53 then you can get there at 09:52... if you don't mind getting the 05:05 from Havant, via Haywards Heath ;) if that is ok, book this ASAP before it sells out.

Alternatively if you book ASAP there are some GNER STD OFF PEAK 1 RTN tickets available from King's Cross for only £19 on that day, you'd need a seperate ticket from Havant to King's Cross though and at peak time that is expensive, so I think you're better off with the £42 ticket above.

The non-discounted Saver price is £85 but cannot be used until the 09:30 departure from King's Cross (arr York 1137).

A combination of CDRs is no use due to the lack of northbound departures from KGX to YRK calling at Grantham, and the fact you cannot use CDRs on GNERs out of KGX until 0957 anyway.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jonb said:
Local station is Brentwood.
The first train you can use a CDR on is the 0937, arr 1015, and as an Off peak travelcard is a CDR + a travelcard that must be the first train you can use an off peak travelcard from Brentwood on.

If you want to get to London earlier and only pay a little extra you could do this:

You could get a SDR to Shenfield for only £1.50 (that's the Y-P price, which only applies during July/August before 10:00, from September you don't get 1/3 off before 10:00 so it'd be £2.30), or if only doing it one way a SDS for 95p, and then a travelcard from Shenfield to London.

I'm not sure how much a Shenfield-London travelcard is but a CDR is only 65p more, so I'd say a similar amount. You can then get to London 13 mins earlier. for only about £2 more.

That's the earliest you can do it though off-peak, before that you'd need a peak travelcard!

It's a bit harsh on Brentwood, but I suppose the same applies at places like Kenton, Watford High Street, Knebworth etc.

Craig

Established Member
Newcastle to Crewe departing Saturday/Sunday morning, returning in the evening (same day). Possibly with a YP railcard.

Considering Crewe open day...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Craig said:
Newcastle to Crewe departing Saturday/Sunday morning, returning in the evening (same day). Possibly with a YP railcard.

Considering Crewe open day...
It may be cheapest to get a Tyne Valley Ranger, and a VV14 Carlisle-Crewe, as VV14s are very cheap with Y-P railcards.

However the WCML will probably be closed, so it may be better to go via the ECML on combo CDRs, Newcastle-York, York-Manchester Stns, Manchester Stns-Crewe. Probably under £30.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've got a bit of a challenge for you Yorkie. I need Hull-Crewe on 10th September for the open works day.

Now, I've found a way to do it for £15, but can you do it any cheaper?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
laverack2 said:
I've got a bit of a challenge for you Yorkie. I need Hull-Crewe on 10th September for the open works day.

Now, I've found a way to do it for £15, but can you do it any cheaper?
What's your way?

There are 2 routes, choosing 1 route and going combo CDR will make it cheaper, but of course you must then stick to that route.

Either Hull - Leeds*, Leeds-Manchester, Manchester-Crewe CDRs or Hull-Doncaster**, Doncaster-Sheffield, Sheffield-Manchester, Sheffield-Crewe CDRs.

* It is be cheaper to get Cottingham to York route Hull and go via Leeds, obviously this is an unusual route (but valid due to Micklefield-Leeds being part of the Leeds group), I suggest changing trains in Leeds though if you do this!! (NOTE a Hull to York route 'Direct' is NOT valid for this)

** It is cheaper to get Cottingham to York route Hull. Again, make sure you change trains at Doncaster. (NOTE a Hull to York route 'Direct' is NOT valid for this)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
OK, I've got a query or four.

First of all, I've got a SVR York to Worcester Stations (don't ask why, bit of a long story) to use yet. I daresay it's not a valid route, but would this ticket be valid on FTPX via Manchester, then down to BHM and onwards to WSH? I'd love to get that TPX route from MP to Leeds done and dusted, it's a rather irritating gap on my map. Saying that, all of the North is an irritating gap...

Query 2: Would I have any ticket restrictions in terms of departure times with the above ticket and with a SVR Worcester Stations to HFD? (Again, don't ask why I've got this, suffice to say we'll be buying tickets before we board next time)

Query 3: The aforementioned SVR Worcester Stations to HFD was printed off a SPORTIS machine, hence the TM printed the two adults and two children on the same ticket. As the rest of the group I was travelling with will not be accompanying me on this (they are travelling another day), would I still be able to use the ticket? I personally can't see why not.

Query 4: I recently picked up a copy of the Middlesbrough to Whitby TT, in it the Tees Valley (something like that) Day Ranger is mentioned. My query is hence this: Does this rover cover me from York, or do I have to get to Darlington for it?

That'll do for now...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
FGWFan said:
Query 2: Would I have any ticket restrictions in terms of departure times with the above ticket and with a SVR Worcester Stations to HFD? (Again, don't ask why I've got this, suffice to say we'll be buying tickets before we board next time)
I very much doubt it. But check. It's not easy for me to look that up (it needs the fares manual).

FGWFan said:
Query 3: The aforementioned SVR Worcester Stations to HFD was printed off a SPORTIS machine, hence the TM printed the two adults and two children on the same ticket. As the rest of the group I was travelling with will not be accompanying me on this (they are travelling another day), would I still be able to use the ticket? I personally can't see why not.
Assuming these are normal tickets, not group or FAM tickets I can't see any requirement for you to stay togetner. However if you use it yourself it will get stamped and invalidated for use by someone else. I have never experienced this myself but I would suggest a corrective course of action may be to ask to get the ticket swapped at a station for individual ones before using it. However I have no experience of this myself.

FGWFan said:
Query 4: I recently picked up a copy of the Middlesborough to Whitby TT, in it the Tees Valley (something like that) Day Ranger is mentioned. My query is hence this: Does this rover cover me from York, or do I have to get to Darlington for it?

That'll do for now...
Doesn't cover York, but if you get a York-Middlesborough (Route DIRECT) ticket that is around half the price of a York-Darlington or York-Middlesborough (Any Permitted) ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Marv said:
Stoke-on-Trent to Loughborough, return the same day, no railcard.
I strongly advise buying a railcard Marv, it will save you £hundreds!

Getting a CDR to Derby and from there to Loughborough saves you £3.

This doesn't restrict your route (any more than the through ticket) though as Stoke to Loughborough is only valid via Uttoxeter and Derby (not via Birmingham). So you may as well get the combination of CDRs if travelling off-peak.

I find it amazing that CT wont sell CDRs for such a journey, an equivalent GNER journey (York to Retford) has a CDR available at only 2/3 of the price and takes only half as long!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
yorkie said:
FGWFan said:
OK, I've got a query or four.

First of all, I've got a SVR York to Worcester Stations (don't ask why, bit of a long story) to use yet. I daresay it's not a valid route, but would this ticket be valid on FTPX via Manchester, then down to BNS and onwards to WSH?
It's not valid via BNS (Barnes) or WSH (Wishaw).

Yes it is valid via Manchester and Birmingham, on the route you describe (but with the wrong station codes ;) ).

It's slightly less known that WSH stands for Worcester Shrub Hill.

FGWFan said:
I very much doubt it. But check. It's not easy for me to look that up (it needs the fares manual).
OK, no problem. I doubt I'll be using it during peak times TBH

FGWFan said:
Assuming these are normal tickets, not group or FAM tickets I can't see any requirement for you to stay togetner. However if you use it yourself it will get stamped and invalidated for use by someone else. I have never experienced this myself but I would suggest a corrective course of action may be to ask to get the ticket swapped at a station for individual ones before using it. However I have no experience of this myself.
Indeed they are no GroupSave tickets, or ones with a FAM (don't even think of telling them that's a station code now). I may ask for seperate tickets, I shall see what I decide to do on the day.

FGWFan said:
Query 4: I recently picked up a copy of the Middlesborough to Whitby TT, in it the Tees Valley (something like that) Day Ranger is mentioned. My query is hence this: Does this rover cover me from York, or do I have to get to Darlington for it?

That'll do for now...
Doesn't cover York, but if you get a York-Middlesborough (Route DIRECT) ticket that is around half the price of a York-Darlington or York-Middlesborough (Any Permitted) ticket.
Found out about the rover coverage in the end yesterday, never knew of the difference in tickets. I'm not sure whether to go do the Saltburn and Whitby lines yet with it or not, I'll again see what I decide to do at the time.

Thanks for the assistance.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
yorkie said:
Marv said:
Stoke-on-Trent to Loughborough, return the same day, no railcard.
I strongly advise buying a railcard Marv, it will save you £hundreds!

Getting a CDR to Derby and from there to Loughborough saves you £3.

This doesn't restrict your route (any more than the through ticket) though as Stoke to Loughborough is only valid via Uttoxeter and Derby (not via Birmingham). So you may as well get the combination of CDRs if travelling off-peak.

I find it amazing that CT wont sell CDRs for such a journey, an equivalent GNER journey (York to Retford) has a CDR available at only 2/3 of the price and takes only half as long!

Presumably this restriction doesn't apply if wanting to travel when the direct route to Derby isn't available, for example Sunday mornings ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Marv said:
Presumably this restriction doesn't apply if wanting to travel when the direct route to Derby isn't available, for example Sunday mornings ?
if you get a Saver for the through journey then you should be fine to go via Leicester, I'd have thought.

However if you were to get combinations of CDRs then it can get dodgy.

For example when Derby-Birmingham was shut, Virgin were going via Leicester, but we'd just missed one and the next one was late. But MML refused to let us use their service to Leicester because it was a long route. They said that we'd have to wait for the Virgin train (or get a replacement bus). We had Derby-Birmingham tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.