• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket advice - your questions answered by me

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In this topic I answer all your ticket advice questions.

You are far more likely to save money if you are making a longer-distance journey on the same day.

Here is an example:-
Example £14 saving said:
Cheapest ticket combination for York to London All Zones, day return.

York station will say such a ticket does not exist so buy York to London Terminals (Saver usually), and an All Zones travelcard from King's Cross. With a Y-P that comes to £45+5=£50ish.

But if you buy York to Grantham, and an All Zones travelcard from Grantham, the cost drops to only £17+£19=£36!

A saving of £14. The first train you can get Mon-Fri is the same (0939), on Saturdays/Sundays any time. You must call at Grantham (changing at Doncaster if need be), but the 0939 does call there as do others.

I save £14 each time I go to London. I would not go if it was £50.

Don't ask for the cheapest Wick to Penzance combination though - as such journeys are not possible in a day, and a through ticket for a very long distance will actually be cheaper.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

joy54.gen

It will most prob be just a CDR which you can't really get cheaper then. You can get deals liek Groupsave if you have a small group. Or Railcards etc.

Lesjordans

What is the cheapest Glasgow-London for 1 Adult, 1 Child and a Family Railcard? I dont find if its Euston or Kings Cross i end up at

thanks

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
tubechallenger said:
Bournemouth - Waterloo child please.
joy54 said:
It will most prob be just a CDR which you can't really get cheaper then. You can get deals like Groupsave if you have a small group. Or Railcards etc.
Yeah, Joy54 is right. You're lucky in that you can get a competetively priced CDR for this relatively long journey.

(I'm not sure about GroupSave - it's disappeared from the NR site, but I know some TOCs still do it).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Lesjordans said:
What is the cheapest Glasgow-London for 1 Adult, 1 Child and a Family Railcard? I dont find if its Euston or Kings Cross i end up at

thanks
Virgin Value 14 day Advance singles (VV14), £14.45 each way for both of you (as they do Family Railcard discounts, GNER don't for their cheapest tickets).

jonb

Established Member
What is cheaper:

- Shenfield - Rhymney Cheap Day Return

OR

- Shenfield - Cardiff Central then buy a Rhymney Rover Ticket

Cheers

Julian G

Established Member
How much does travelling on these?
Kensington Olympia-East Croydon on a Voyager?
London St.Pancras to York via Chesterfield?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jonb said:
What is cheaper:

- Shenfield - Rhymney Cheap Day Return

OR

- Shenfield - Cardiff Central then buy a Rhymney Rover Ticket

Cheers
Without checking, I can say the former does not exist. But a Saver to Rhymney will definitely be cheaper than a Saver to Cardiff then a Valley Lines Rover. (A Rhymney rover doesn't exist either).

If you are going on 2 July for the meet, you can get cheaper tickets if some of us get together and buy them as a group..

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1288gaje said:
How much does travelling on these?
Kensington Olympia-East Croydon on a Voyager?
London St.Pancras to York via Chesterfield?
You misunderstand. This topic isn't meant to be for me to telll you a bog standard fare that you can easily find out yourself, this is for me to provide info on routeing, combinations of tickets etc.

Kenny O - East Croydon you can easily look up. If you have any further queries about routeing then ask. You've not specified any information (time, peak?, adult/child/railcard?),

London - York - depends on time, when returning, railcard, number of people going, etc!

There is no cheaper 'Route Chesterfield' ticket, but if you wish to go the (much!!) slower way you are welcome to do so. But you will find it much cheaper to book in advance with GNER (£19 rtn).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Galvanize said:
What is a Place X group? Yorkie mentioned it a few times and I can't work out what it means
Some stations are grouped by ATOC. See the Routeing Guide for info.

jd

According to an article in my local paper, it can often work out cheaper to buy a series of singles rather than a through ticket FOR USE ON THE SAME TRAIN!

For example, instead of buying BNS to Euston, buying BNS to Coventry, Coventry to Milton Keynes and Milton Keynes to Euston may actually be cheaper, and you don't even need to change trains.

Simming

Weekday

Redruth/Camborne

to

Great Yarmouth

Cheapest, Up one day, return a few days later With a Y-P

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jdan said:
According to an article in my local paper, it can often work out cheaper to buy a series of singles rather than a through ticket FOR USE ON THE SAME TRAIN!

For example, instead of buying BNS to Euston, buying BNS to Coventry, Coventry to Milton Keynes and Milton Keynes to Euston may actually be cheaper, and you don't even need to change trains.
Yes, hence the existence of this topic :lol:

Of course you don't have to physically step off the train, but you must be *able* to do so, ie the train must call there.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Simming said:
Weekday

Redruth/Camborne

to

Great Yarmouth

Cheapest, Up one day, return a few days later With a Y-P
A combination is very unlikely to help you here. On the contrary - the further east you go the better value the fares become (and with Standard Open fares they become cheaper past a certain point) as they're priced by 'one' if you go far enough east.

I am fairly sure you'll find a Super Advance (which allows railcard discounts) to be cheaper than any walk-on fare.

Met Driver

Established Member
Since there appears to be no-one else going up to Cardiff from Paddington on 2nd July for the Rhymney 37s, what do you recommend ticket-wise just for myself?

NB: I can be flexible, within reason. Getting to Reading via SWT like you suggested previously may be a possibility.

Also, if anyone else plans to do this meet by train from Paddington, please, please could you let me know soon - http://www.railuk.org/hst/viewtopic.php?t=8

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Seth, as you now know your problem is being solved, but to answer the query of the cheapest combination to Rhymney from London, the answer is:

London to Didcot CDR
Didcot to Bristol CDR
Bristol to Rhymney CDR

One major drawback though: Your journey would be extended by around half an hour, as none of the London-Cardiff trains (at least not at suitable times) call at Didcot Parkway. So you would have to change at Bristol or Swindon for a train that does call there (Otherwise you could be charged the hefty Standard Open fare Reading-Swindon!).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
London to Didcot is a CDR? Not when I last looked! Network Awaybreak, yes.

No trains to Cardiff calling at Didcot? Seems unusual! Still, you could get a Swansea service, these nearly all stop at DP!

The way I'd do it:

Paddington to Didcot Parkway Network Awaybreak
Didcot Parkway to Swindon CDR
Swindon to Cardiff CDR
Cardiff to Rhymney CDR/Valley Lines Day Explorer.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
FGWFan said:
London to Didcot is a CDR? Not when I last looked! Network Awaybreak, yes.
Perhaps you went at peak time or something.
FGWFan said:
No trains to Cardiff calling at Didcot? Seems unusual! Still, you could get a Swansea service, these nearly all stop at DP!
The 2 trains we could get back (1625 & 1725) go non-stop Swindon-Reading. Others do call at Didcot but not at suitable times for us.

Jim

Established Member
Can I please be told the cheepest way to do in the same day

*Trowbridge - Portsmouth HBR
*Portsmouth HBR - Penzance via Westbury

Then the Next day i want to do the same

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jim said:
Can I please be told the cheepest way to do in the same day
Do you mean returning same day, combining CDRs?

Or do you mean out one day, return the other? In which case the combo CDR trick won't work here!

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Got one for you.

Loughborough - Kidderminster on July 4th, what's the cheapest way for two people? Both with YPR's.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jamie C. Steel said:
Got one for you.

Loughborough - Kidderminster on July 4th, what's the cheapest way for two people? Both with YPR's.
At peak time, Loughborough-Leicester SDR, Leicester-Kidderminster SDR, both using Y-P as there is no minimum railcard fare in July/Aug, totalling £11

(If the journey was this month I'd have said get a £15 SVR which has a lower minimum railcard fare)

Status
Not open for further replies.