• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket barriers not accepting a Day Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi all
When i buy a child devon ranger ticket and i go through barriers i always have trouble but not when im on a return or single why is this ??

Thanks
Ollie

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cuccir

Established Member
The barriers can be set to automatically reject certain tickets so that staff have to check them.

Established Member
The weird thing is though sometimes they do and sometimes they dont or i can go one way but not the other its very strange

cuccir

Established Member
I don't know how subtle the software is: can it be programmed to reject tickets at certain times, or purchased form certain locations? It will also vary station to station and between different train operating companies.

Established Member
Its always Exeter St Davids and Central (FGW and always brought from TVP ) its very odd

island

Veteran Member
I don't know how subtle the software is: can it be programmed to reject tickets at certain times, or purchased form certain locations? It will also vary station to station and between different train operating companies.

There can also be restrictions based on route (e.g. London Waterloo barriers reject SOUTHERN ONLY tickets, including outboundary Travelcards which are valid on SWT within the zones).

CC 72100

Established Member
I've been through Exeter's barriers before with a day ranger, worked fine. In fact it's either always gone through fine or the barriers have been open anyway. Never had it come up 'seek staff assistance' and not open for me, but then again mine is always an adults, if that makes any difference.

Established Member
tHE WEIRD THING IS I CAN EITHER GET OUT AND NOT IN OR GET IN AND NOT OUT sorry Caps was stuck

wintonian

Established Member
Just another example, Newcastle have just let me out with my North Country Rover but displayed "not valid for this leg of journey" on trying to get back in.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Crossover

Established Member
Could it be that they don't allow passback within a given length of time?

I did wonder if I'd have that problem on Monday with a West Yorkshire rover at Leeds when I wanted to go out to get some lunch, but had no problems

wintonian

Established Member
I'll try it later on my way back to York and see.

I think It's more to do with the.system recognising the ticket has been passed through and sort of.canceling it regardless of Its type.

NSE

Established Member
I had a Southern day save last year, the one valid for the peaks to, and no barrier excepted that. Mind you the gate line staff at Milton Keynes took one look saw it was peak and at 7am they accepted it, Southern staff at Victoria kept trying to tell me it wasn't valid for peak travel despite the fact I had paid £30 for the peak version!

Anon Mouse

Established Member
The barriers can be set to automatically reject certain tickets so that staff have to check them.

Explains why every time I use a PRIV London CIV ticket I get knocked back at Kings Cross and have to be let through the wide gate!:)

wintonian

Established Member
Your Lucky, staff at Three Bridges didn't know what one was when I went there and nearly didn't let me back in.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I remember one time at Shoeburyness when my ALR was knocked back at the barrier and the staff there tried to claim it was rejected as they were not valid and they tried to charge me the fare from London. They sharp backed down when I produced my TOC card. I did get some dirty looks when I got back into the station

embers25

Established Member
Its always Exeter St Davids and Central (FGW and always brought from TVP ) its very odd

I always break my journey to St James Park at Exeter Central and the barriers (particularly the new bridge ones) will accept my ticket one day and refuse it the next! St Davids tend to work much better though.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Your Lucky, staff at Three Bridges didn't know what one was when I went there and nearly didn't let me back in.

Try breaking your journey at Woking with a ticket to Worplesdon. It's amazing how many of the barrier staff have no clue where it is despite it being the next station!

Props to Havant barrier staff and the Southern guards for knowing that off peak period returns from Havant to Gatwick are completely unrestricted in peak.

sheff1

Established Member
If it's any consolation, every East Midlands Trains barrier rejected my East Midlands Rover last year. Frustrating.

As did Chiltern barriers did with my Chiltern Day ticket. At High Wycombe the 'fully trained attendant' looked at the Chiltern Trains Only ticket and proclaimed 'you can't use that here'. :roll:

Last edited:
If I travel to the Medways from Retford via Kings Cross, getting there is fine, but the ticket is always rejected on the return leg at St Pancras.

Status
Not open for further replies.