• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket Barriers - Operational Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmacw

I've just been thinking about ticket barriers and their usage, and came up with some questions.

What's the smallest station (in terms of passenger numbers) with barriers?

What station has barriers in use the most? (in terms of hours per day)

What station has barriers in use the least? (in terms of hours per day)

What station has the most unpredictable hours of use? (in use one weekday at a certain time, not in use the next day etc)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12CSVT

Established Member
For the second question I think Leeds has its barriers in use 24 hours.

Lampshade

Established Member
Hmm, still haven't got to grips with the app :shock:

I think Colwyn Bay is the smallest station with barriers.

David10

Most LOROL stations are barriered until the close. While many terminal stations are opened up around 9-10pm, London Victoria is barriered until the close on the Southern side, but not the Southeastern side.

Wandsworth Town which has only recently had barriers fitted is usually open during the evening peak.

What station has the most unpredictable hours of use?
Birmingham New St

Established Member
Leeds barriers are normally left open late at night, although it has been a while since I used the station after 11pm, so might have changed.

chuckles1066

I've just been thinking about ticket barriers and their usage, and came up with some questions.

What's the smallest station (in terms of passenger numbers) with barriers?

What station has the most unpredictable hours of use? (in use one weekday at a certain time, not in use the next day etc)

Can I flip your question on it's head?

What is the busiest station without barriers or staff?

Erm.....wouldn't be MOD Abbeywood......sorry, I must stop doing that......Filton Abbeywood, would it?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Nope, Filton Abbey Wood is manned. Busiest without staff is Isleworth (by passeners). The busiest not fully gated I think is Euston, though it does have crowd barriers. Failing that, I think Manchester Piccadilly.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It is, very sporadically from roughly 1300 onwards Monday-Friday. The booking office is at the foot of the ramp on the main southbound platform, and looks boarded up. There was certainly a member of staff there when I passed last week at roughly 1445.

12CSVT

Established Member
Leeds barriers are normally left open late at night, although it has been a while since I used the station after 11pm, so might have changed.

I passed through Leeds a couple of times when using overnight TPE services during winter 2010 / 2011. Both times the barriers were in use at around 03:30.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is it? I've never seen anyone there in my 3 times of visiting it.
The opening hours are very unpredictable, but I'd say I've never seen it open the entirety of the publicised opening hours, but regularly see it open from 1pm onwards. Speaking with the man in there, he tells me he comes down on the train from Brighton, cleans up, and opens at 1pm. But when he isn't in, nobody covers for him.

kieron

Established Member
How often are the barriers at Manchester Oxford Road used? They've been left open whenever I've been there.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I passed through Leeds a couple of times when using overnight TPE services during winter 2010 / 2011. Both times the barriers were in use at around 03:30.

They're usually closed overnight (and locked shut except for a few minutes either side of when the overnight trains are due).

However in the late evening there's often one or more gates open when there are few or no staff manning the gates.

Drsatan

Established Member
The barrier opening hours at Exeter St Davids are extremely variable. At 1745, I've noticed that the barriers can either be open or closed; I've also noticed at 2230 the barriers can either be open or close. I'm assuming the decision whether to have the barriers open or not depends on whether there's an assistant available; if someone's off sick, then the barriers are kept open.

TrainBoy98

Just a couple of things about ticket barriers that i know of and a question,
At Worthing the installment of ticket barriers was virtually pointless if they are there to stop people without tickets as the platform subway links the ticket hall, platforms and the alternative North exit which doesnt have barriers. Surley this makes them pointless here as people will just use the North exit? Why dont they install them at this exit too or in the subway? Also, is Euston the only major London station not to have barriers? ANd does anyone know the reason for them not having these?

Urban Gateline

Established Member
For shortest time in use, Norbiton is a good contender, a relatively busy station but only has barrier coverage from 7-9am Mon-Fri! Queenstown Rd is close behind with 7-9:30am Mon-Fri cover!

I was surprised once at St Pancras still having the High Speed platform ticket barriers in operation at around 11:30pm!!!

Predictability of barrier use times depends on the size of the station mostly, the smaller stations with barriers tend to have less cover and sometimes no cover at all when people are sick/on holiday. At the bigger stations a revenue block might be the reason for barriers unexpectedly being in use later than usual!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Also, is Euston the only major London station not to have barriers? ANd does anyone know the reason for them not having these?

There doesn't seem to really be anywhere to put them at Euston, there is nowhere wide enough between the concourse and the platform ramps themselves.
Putting them on the ramps would be a nightmare as you would have people moving to a train just declared ready for boarding in a huge mass and taking twenty minutes to clear through a half dozen barriers.

Then people who accidentally go onto the wrong platform being unable to return to the concourse to go to the right one..

Zoe

Established Member
London Victoria is barriered until the close on the Southern side, but not the Southeastern side.
I didn't think Victoria closed as there is a service through the night to Three Bridges.

Clip

Established Member
I didn't think Victoria closed as there is a service through the night to Three Bridges.

There is but from what I can remember they keep the gates closed until it is ready then open it. I know ive been there once or twice in the past and had to wait outside the gates.

chuckles1066

It is, very sporadically from roughly 1300 onwards Monday-Friday

Well that's certainly going to deter the MOD fare-dodgers, isn't it? :roll:

And by "very sporadically", you mean never.

In the few weeks that I used the place, morning and evening, there was never any presence......in fact, you were more likely to encounter bods on the bridge than anyone in a ticket office.

island

Veteran Member
There doesn't seem to really be anywhere to put them at Euston, there is nowhere wide enough between the concourse and the platform ramps themselves.
Putting them on the ramps would be a nightmare as you would have people moving to a train just declared ready for boarding in a huge mass and taking twenty minutes to clear through a half dozen barriers.

Then people who accidentally go onto the wrong platform being unable to return to the concourse to go to the right one..

If we are to be pedantic, there are barriers for the LO and LM platforms (8-11?) but the way Virgin doesn't announce trains until they're ready to board would, as you say, lead to a lot of congestion. The current approach (TM and two or three staff check tickets) seems to work.

I suppose you could also say Waterloo East doesn't have barriers on its main entrance, although they are on the way.

The other major London station I can think of without barriers is Elephant & Cstle.

dvboy

Established Member
I assume Virgin prefer to have people at Euston rather than automated barriers to ensure people get on the right train for their advance ticket, rather than have barriers that let people through with any ticket that may be valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.