• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket checker filming me at Euston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
I believe most of them use cryptographic techniques to make it extremely difficult (government-level resources required) to tamper with or fake.

That wont sit well with the tinfoil hat brigade

tin_foil_hat.jpg

Why are all rpis we hear about on here 'grumpy' :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
They are the norm for half of our staff. Regardless of what the company tell us, the generally accepted use is primarily when it starts kicking off, staff hit the capture button. Otherwise they are on a 5 minute over-writing loop. They could be used for 'revenue' purposes but in reality they are a deterrent, and there to stop staff abuse.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
They are the norm for half of our staff. Regardless of what the company tell us, the generally accepted use is primarily when it starts kicking off, staff hit the capture button. Otherwise they are on a 5 minute over-writing loop. They could be used for 'revenue' purposes but in reality they are a deterrent, and there to stop staff abuse.

With some bodycams, when the capture button is activated the previous 30-60 seconds is retained from the over-writing loop. Earlier this year this led to a police officer in Baltimore, MA unknowingly recording himself planting evidence!

So if used appropriately they're of benefit to everyone except those with nefarious intent.

Police filming peaceful protests I'm less keen on, but that's off-topic!

Howardh

Established Member
With some bodycams, when the capture button is activated the previous 30-60 seconds is retained from the over-writing loop. Earlier this year this led to a police officer in Baltimore, MA unknowingly recording himself planting evidence!

So if used appropriately they're of benefit to everyone except those with nefarious intent.

Police filming peaceful protests I'm less keen on, but that's off-topic!

Police will record you walking to a football match!

Interesting conundrum; if you wore a t-shirt with a copyrighted picture on it, then filmers would be breaking copyright law recording it...and would if the person was playing music on his radio at the same time....

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Police will record you walking to a football match!

Interesting conundrum; if you wore a t-shirt with a copyrighted picture on it, then filmers would be breaking copyright law recording it...and would if the person was playing music on his radio at the same time....

In that case, the police are breaking copyright law if ever they do film me walking to a match, as I'm never without a replica shirt and/or footwear with logos on show! ;)

If those things are exempt, I'm going to start wearing t-shirts with album covers on them to games and political demonstrations! ;)

Howardh

Established Member
In that case, the police are breaking copyright law if ever they do film me walking to a match, as I'm never without a replica shirt and/or footwear with logos on show! ;)

If those things are exempt, I'm going to start wearing t-shirts with album covers on them to games and political demonstrations! ;)

Copyright's there for a reason. Suppose a member of the public filmed someone who did something daft and it ended up on youtube. There's an argument that any logos on his/her clothes would have to be blanked out!

It HAS happened - US entertainment industries have clamped down on those carcrash videos where dashcams have recorded both the pictures and sound coming from the radio (so on youtube there's no sound). I would post a link but life's too short....

Jonny

Established Member
you know its possible to check for any deleted footage don't you?

There are ways, but once something has been over-written it gets harder. Especially if new data is stored in the same location...

island

Veteran Member
Copyright's there for a reason. Suppose a member of the public filmed someone who did something daft and it ended up on youtube. There's an argument that any logos on his/her clothes would have to be blanked out!

Not really. Incidental inclusion of copyright content in a photo or video (that is not the main feature of the new creation) does not violate any copyright.

jon0844

Veteran Member
For YouTube is it still generally okay to feature music without fear of de-monetisation if it's under a certain time (around 8 seconds or something from memory)?

At the end of the day, these day content owners aren't usually interested in destroying your content and having you get strikes that see your channel/page shut down.. they simply take any money you earn from it.

6Gman

Established Member
That wont sit well with the tinfoil hat brigade

tin_foil_hat.jpg

Why are all rpis we hear about on here 'grumpy' :lol:

I saw that guy a few days ago.

He was filming barrier staff at Euston ...

;)

jon0844

Veteran Member
Is this a new series for Channel 5? I'm looking forward to it already.

Fare-Cop

In my experience, all the companies whose RPIs who use Body Worn Video cameras observe the guidelines and legislations referred to here:

http://www.bwvsg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Non-Police-BWV-Guidance.pdf

For those that I have knowledge of, footage is normally held for 30 days before being overwritten, unless it has been pro-actively marked as evidential.

Generally speaking railways are not public land.

My understanding is that, on the subject of whether a member of the public has the right to film on a station, Network Rail has a specific rule covering their 18 directly managed major stations and in the case of all other stations, it is up to the TOC who manage it. This applies to the TOCs trains too, which are private property.

In practice, they say that permission to take photographs or film will not unreasonably be denied, so it seems it's generally considered OK for members of the public to film or take pictures.

I guess the only concern would be regarding what the images are showing or may be used for.

shredder1

Established Member
I suspect the vast majority of theml might think "got a weirdo here" ...

For goodness sake, we are trainspotters, most people think that anyway :) Mind you in the 1950`s at school, anyone who didnt go trainspotting was considered a weirdo o_O

DJ_K666

Being a ticket inspector is very much a job involving conflict. You won't find many guards or revenue staff who haven't been either physically or verbally assaulted at some point in their careers to one degree or another. Welcome to the real world. The railway is generally quite a friendly place but it can turn on you at any minute.

He's not filming you unless he tells you he is or you give him reason to. They don't have that long a life on them.
It's filming if the red light is showing. There is slide switch on the side which turns it on and, as I understand it, the footage then has to be transferred to a computer before it can be used as evidence.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's filming if the red light is showing. There is slide switch on the side which turns it on and, as I understand it, the footage then has to be transferred to a computer before it can be used as evidence.

Perhaps staff should stream to YouTube Live instead and then the public could see what they have to deal with.

(and, no, I'm not serious)

Status
Not open for further replies.