• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alistair G.

Hi all,

No idea where I stand this matter so any advice is welcome.

I went for a little trip out on Saturday (rugby - Birmingham international & return)

I bought a day return off peak (any operator) ticket.

The train I caught back was over 30mins late running.

Now, because my ticket is in theory any off peak train I could catch (not 1 booked specific train), am I allowed to claim for compensation for this train being late or not?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Given that both Virgin and London Midland operate Delay Repay, the answer is yes, whoever it was that ran the service.

Just make sure that it is your journey that is over 30 minutes late, not merely the train running 30 minutes late.

najaB

Veteran Member
I allowed to claim for compensation for this train being late or not?
No. You don't get compensation for being on a train that ran late, you get compensation if you arrive at your destination station later than you had planned to.

So if you had planned to catch a train at 1900 to get to your destination station at 1945, but instead caught the late running 1830 and got to your destination at 1950 then you couldn't claim, even though the train was 35 minutes late because you were only five minutes later than you intended to be.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Now, because my ticket is in theory any off peak train I could catch (not 1 booked specific train), am I allowed to claim for compensation for this train being late or not?

No.

Compensation is payable where YOU are delayed by more than 30 minutes.

If you were intending to catch that train, and no other trains arrived in that 30 minute period that could have got you home quicker, then you can claim compensation.

If you were not intending to catch that train then you cannot claim compensation.

Dent

No.

Compensation is payable where YOU are delayed by more than 30 minutes.
No. You don't get compensation for being on a train that ran late, you get compensation if you arrive at your destination station later than you had planned to.

How do you both know that the poster's journey was definitely not delayed by over 30 minutes? Your flat out statements that the OP is not entitled to compensation are rather presumptuous.

If they arrived more than 30 minutes later than they would have if the train had been on time then they are entitled to compensation, the ticket also being usable on other services is irrelevant.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
My reading is that the "No" answers were to the OP's question as to whether he/she could claim compensation for the train being late. The correct answer to that is no - it is not enough to have caught a delayed train; one's journey must also be delayed by the requisite length of time in order for delay compensation to be payable. Maybe it sounds pedantic but it's a fairly important distinction to make.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
How do you both know that the poster's journey was definitely not delayed by over 30 minutes? Your flat out statements that the OP is not entitled to compensation are rather presumptuous.

The question was "Can I claim for the train being late?". The answer to that question is no. Delay Repay is not based on whether a train is late, it is based on whether a passenger is delayed.

Dent

The question was "Can I claim for the train being late?". The answer to that question is no. Delay Repay is not based on whether a train is late, it is based on whether a passenger is delayed.

If the train being late caused their journey to be delayed by over 30 minutes then they can claim.

If you don't know whether that is the case then the correct answer is not "no" but "need more information". To state flat out "no" when you don't know the actual answer is wrong and presumptuous.

najaB

Veteran Member
To state flat out "no" when you don't know the actual answer is wrong and presumptuous.
To OP asked if they could claim for being on a train that was late. The answer is "No", that is neither wrong nor presumptuous.

Both myself and Arctic Troll explained that compensation is payable based on how late you arrive, not on how late the train you arrive on is.

Dent

To OP asked if they could claim for being on a train that was late. The answer is "No", that is neither wrong nor presumptuous.

As I already pointed out, the OP can claim if the train being late caused sufficient delay to their journey. In that case the correct answer is "yes", and "no" is a wrong answer. In answering a flat out "no" you have assumed, based on nothing, that their journey was not sufficiently delayed. That is presumptuous.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
If you don't know whether that is the case then the correct answer is not "no" but "need more information".

The correct answer to the question is no. The late-running, or otherwise, of the train is irrelevant as to whether compensation is payable.

It's not being presumptuous, it's not being pedantic, it is a statement of fact.

Both najaB and myself went on to explain how it is the delay to a journey, not a train, that is the relevant issue. The OP should have all the information they need to decide whether they are eligible.

455driver

Veteran Member

The answer is yes but if you were not on the train or your actual journey wasn't delayed then the answer is no, unless you want to end up in Court on fraud charges, see separate thread about the commuters that tried it on!

ScouserGirl

Hi all,

No idea where I stand this matter so any advice is welcome.

I went for a little trip out on Saturday (rugby - Birmingham international & return)

I bought a day return off peak (any operator) ticket.

Thanks

Yes you are still allowed to claim delay repay :)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The answer has been provided and the thread closed due to pointless argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.