Ticket gates and validity

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Halsebee, 11 Feb 2019.

1. Halsebee

Halsebee Member

I have a return portion of a saver ticket valid for a month from Taunton to Reading.
    Yesterday I used the train for a journey Taunton to Exeter for which I had a ticket. By mistake I put the Taunton Reading ticket in the gate, which obviously let me through as it is a valid ticket. I went to Exeter using my Taunton Exeter ticket as usual, but my query is, will the Taunton Reading ticket be invalidated as its been through a gate, even though it hasn't been used for a journey?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

It probably won't work the barriers but that doesn't mean it isn't valid. If the ticket doesn't work ask to be let through manually. Don't mention putting the ticket in the barrier previously as that will just confuse things. There are loads of reasons why a valid ticket won't work the barriers.

4. Indigo2

Indigo2 Established Member

The ticket will have the station and the last time it went through a barrier encoded on it. Whether or not the barrier at Taunton chooses to reject a ticket that has been put through the same barrier at an earlier date will depend on how it is programmed.

5. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

It might come up with a code saying that it's been used before.

Obviously somewhat unfortunate but ultimately your ticket remains valid regardless of how you do/don't put it through a barrier.

May just be useful to keep the Taunton to Exeter ticket to show if they don't believe your explanation.