• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket inspector took Photocard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElliotS

Hi, Was looking for some advise.

Me and my partner are travelling from London to Great Yarmouth, we are going on a weeks holiday and will obviously be using our 2 together railcard during this time. I brought the original railcard online, when we renewed it last year at Great Missenden station the lady gave me a paper railcard without a photo and told us to keep the photo one incase they need it.

Have used the new railcard and showed the photo one now for 9 months no problem but the guard has just moaned at us about the photo card number not matching up to the ticket and confiscated the photo card

We still have the paper one, but this is not valid without a photo? She has told us to get off at Norwich and speak to the office and they will give us a new one, are we expected to pay for this? And was she within her rights to confiscate the card?

Could someone who has any knowledge of this please clear it up for me and let me know what we are supposed to do when we change at Norwich?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You will need to get a new photocard in order for the railcard to be valid so you will need to go to the ticket office at Norwich and explain what's happened. I believe that you should have been issued with one at the time so it's strange that the ticket office at Great Missenden didn't do that. I don't think there will be a charge for a new photocard but I cannot be certain.

Railcards remain the property of the railway (in the same way that tickets are) so if an authorised person, such as a guard, wishes to withdraw one they are entitled to do so.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You should’ve been issued with a photo card when you renewed the Railcard.

Did you take photos with you when you renewed it?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I don't think there will be a charge for a new photocard but I cannot be certain.
I'm struggling to understand this query here, I admit. Please do anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

However, if the problem is that the photocard number does not match the one on the railcard, then what is required is a new railcard. This is £10 with receipt or £30 otherwise.

If the railcard has a number on it that represents a photocard which the OP does not have any more then it can't be used again and should not have been used in the first place. How did this situation come about? The OP says they renewed an online railcard at a ticket office - so they should have been given a new photocard (online railcards don't have them) and a railcard with matching number at the same time.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
As I understand it:

The OP purchased a Railcard online. This had the necessary photos on the Railcard itself.

The OP renewed the Railcard at a station. The station should’ve provided a photo card (assuming the OP had photos to allow this to be done).

The station issued the Railcard without a photo card telling the OP to use the expired Railcard in lieu of a photo card.

The expired Railcard has now been retained by a guard so the OP is seeking a photocard to allow continued use of the Railcard.

The station is wrong here for issuing the Railcard without a photocard although I suspect the OP didn’t have any photos to allow this to happen.

The OP will need a photocard and a replacement Railcard bearing the number of the photocard. This should be possible but I suspect they will struggle.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I would suggest that if the OP finds a ticket office willing to issue the required photocard/railcard, but at a cost, then to pay nevertheless, keep receipts, and claim this back afterwards rather than expending additional time and effort seeking a ticket office who’ll resolve it for free.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The station issued the Railcard without a photo card telling the OP to use the expired Railcard in lieu of a photo card.
If that is what happened, that's rather alarming!

If that's true then I think the only course open to the OP is to purchase a whole new railcard and try to claim all or part of the cost of doing so back later.

janb

The station is wrong here for issuing the Railcard without a photocard although I suspect the OP didn’t have any photos to allow this to happen.

Yep. I have in my time cut the photos out of the online railcard in order to create a new photocard in this situation although the ideal is obviously to have fresh photos.

SideshowBob

Railcards remain the property of the railway (in the same way that tickets are) so if an authorised person, such as a guard, wishes to withdraw one they are entitled to do so.

Hi, long-time lurker, first time poster.

Regarding this, what happens if you have an M-ticket on your phone, and possibly also your Railcard? I mean, they could hardly take your phone from you, could they?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi, long-time lurker, first time poster.

Regarding this, what happens if you have an M-ticket on your phone, and possibly also your Railcard? I mean, they could hardly take your phone from you, could they?
No, however there are probably mechanisms for them to invalidate or withdraw an M-ticket/E-ticket so they could probably do this if misuse is suspected.

SideshowBob

No, however there are probably mechanisms for them to invalidate or withdraw an M-ticket/E-ticket so they could probably do this if misuse is suspected.

One would have thought so; however it may depend on the TOC whose service one happens to be using at the time. E.g. Northern's staff appear not to be equipped to scan the QR code of an E-ticket, but instead just ask to see the "actual" ticket itself (in my admittedly limited experience of using E-tickets).

I'm aware this is off-topic, so I won't labour the point. Nonetheless, it is something I've occasionally wondered about.

SideshowBob

One would have thought so; however it may depend on the TOC whose service one happens to be using at the time. E.g. Northern's staff appear not to be equipped to scan the QR code of an E-ticket, but instead just ask to see the "actual" ticket itself (in my admittedly limited experience of using E-tickets).

I'm aware this is off-topic, so I won't labour the point. Nonetheless, it is something I've occasionally wondered about.

Correction: M-ticket, not E-ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.