• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket Machine at Bangor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Just returned from Bangor station where I was going to collect some pre-booked tickets from the machine - however the station entrance (where the machine is) was blocked off, - as part of the station renovation - and the said ticket machine was under a protective cover .Booking office closed No notices at all (as far as I could see) - good job that I'm not travelling tomorrow, I have a few days before I need the tickets....is it worth sending a little note to ATW? .....and what are the arrangements if pre-booked tickets can't be collected from a machine?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Just speak to the conductor on the day if you can't get your ticket. Print everything you have connected to the booking. You can pick up from a different station, if there's another one you can get to!

34D

Established Member
is it worth sending a little note to ATW? .....and what are the arrangements if pre-booked tickets can't be collected from a machine?

I would be inclined to email ATW (or whoever you booked through, copied to atw as the station operator) to either courier the tickets to you, or send you an email confirming that you can travel and confirming that they will refund any monies you are required to pay on the train as a result of not having a ticket.

How long term are these works?

First class

Established Member
I would be inclined to email ATW (or whoever you booked through, copied to atw as the station operator) to either courier the tickets to you, or send you an email confirming that you can travel and confirming that they will refund any monies you are required to pay on the train as a result of not having a ticket.

How long term are these works?

I see no point in doing that. The conductor will be aware of the situation and somewhere like Bangor will have others in the same situation so I wouldn't worry.

Worst case = Unpaid Fares Notice = Cancelled by Arriva Trains Wales.

Arriva can take up to 28 days to respond in any case.

When you bought the ticket, the agent/operator as part of the transaction informed you that you could pick up your ticket from the designated station. Should the railway as a whole fail to allow you to do so, then it the responsibility of the operator to allow you to travel as per the ticket you purchased. You would not be expected to know in advance whether a ticket machine is functional or not.

I imagine there will be station staff present for most of the day, in which case they can assist.

34D

Established Member
I see no point in doing that. The conductor will be aware of the situation and somewhere like Bangor will have others in the same situation so I wouldn't worry.

Worst case = Unpaid Fares Notice = Cancelled by Arriva Trains Wales.

Arriva can take up to 28 days to respond in any case.

Virgin Trains say that isn't good enough.... Possibly.

Or he has a 15 min connection at Manchester onto TPE (who won't be aware of works) and there is a long queue....

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
By far the most sensible thing to do is phone ATW and ask for their advice. Either they will supply alternative ticket collection facilities, or they will ensure that the unavailability of the ticket machine is paged out to staff (which has no doubt happened already).

Don't email train companies with an urgent enquiry. It simply won't get answered within a few days, unless you are quite lucky.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think we need to be careful not to worry people unnecessarily here!

Or he has a 15 min connection at Manchester onto TPE (who won't be aware of works) and there is a long queue....

A customer cannot be penalised for purchasing a ticket at the first opportunity. If there is a 15 minute connection during the journey, this may or may not be an opportunity depending on the station, the size of the queues etc. There is no requirement for a customer to miss a train to create an opportunity.

We have no details on the OPs journey so it is difficult to give specific advice but the OP may be able to collect the ticket either at the destination or, if applicable an interchange station, and may have to sign an unpaid fares notice that would be cancelled upon production of the collected ticket(s).

There is absolutely no requirement for the OP to go to an alternative station to collect the tickets.
When you bought the ticket, the agent/operator as part of the transaction informed you that you could pick up your ticket from the designated station. Should the railway as a whole fail to allow you to do so, then it the responsibility of the operator to allow you to travel as per the ticket you purchased. You would not be expected to know in advance whether a ticket machine is functional or not.
Absolutely right.

34D

Established Member
I think we need to be careful not to worry people unnecessarily here!

Yes, indeed. Though I did give practical advice which could avert a confrontation.

I agree that Bangor gives little cause for concern - a machine in a penalty fares area (esp one where aggression has been reported) would concern me more.

Having said that.... A bangor-manchester passenger could encounter G4S at Piccadilly....

Status
Not open for further replies.